• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

what it takes to be a cowboy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

balestabber

Reaction score
Over the years i've learned---what it takes to be a cowboy
a loving wife, kids ---and a four wheel drive toy
I know longer need---whiskey,whores or money
just a wife -----who calls me honey

tennis shoes are more comfy---than the cowboy boot
kids are more important---than having lots of loot
either large or small---i wear a cowboy buckle
but,the size of a kitchen plate---gives me a chuckle

there's alot said---about the legendary Hat
whether straw or felt---i will go to bat
its how you wear it---and lay it down
so don't bad mouth ---my cowboy Crown

some have a horse and dog---or some chew in his lip
some carry a six shooter---or a .38 at the hip
i like my 450 honda---and my big F-250
and my wife and family---i think is nifty

But its not about dress---or what you own
its about peace and comfort---and what you have sown
cowboy is a life---like a cattle trail with a curve
you must have God---and be able to swerve

written by a cowboy

Good poem balestabber.

Soap might be able to help with the quote I'm thinking of.......

Will James once said, "I can tell a cowboy in a business suit, it's the way he stands and walks and talks" or something like that.

thanks, i'm just pondering and putting my thoughts to words.

i don't mean to offend anyone.can't sleep,so me and the computer are buddies to-night.

gcreekrch said:
Good poem balestabber.

Soap might be able to help with the quote I'm thinking of.......

Will James once said, "I can tell a cowboy in a business suit, it's the way he stands and walks and talks" or something like that.

Good poem, balestabber.

Gcreek, I can't remember who had these thoughts, but he said he could tell a cowboy by how they got out of bed to get dressed
in the morning. The hat would go on first, then the shirt and maybe a coat, then the britches, socks, and boots. This order came
from years of crawling out of a bedroll in the cold gray dawn, and trying to kind of stay warm while doing it. :wink:

Very interesting.I just googled Will James.the nearest quote of his to match my poem was:

How to gain,how to keep,how to recover happiness is in fact for most men at all times the secret motive of all things they do,and of all things they are willing to endure.{by will james}

i'm not a college boy.But, psychiatry and psycology are 2 words that always scared me.

I took no offense balestabber, was just agreeing with you. There are as many good cattle folks wearing runners or gumboots as there are with riding boots and spurs.

Soap, that may be it, I thought it was something to do with recognizing a cowboy on a town street and out of his element.

Latest posts