• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What legal recourse if any do I have

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw

Reaction score
My neighbor has a junk charolais bull. Today it jumped the fence and I had a few cows that were in heat. I did not know about it until 15 minutes ago when the neighbor called and said he was over there. His bull is junk and has damaged the fence and possibly bred my cows. Do I have any legal recourse? I mean if my cows turn up pregnant can I sue him for say property damage for the fence and possibly for any losses that can occur. If the cows are pregnant they will be given a shot of lutalyse to abort. This guys bull is junk and he has nothing but calving problems. Can I sue this guy?

TurnThatCowLooseMaw said:
My neighbor has a junk charolais bull. Today it jumped the fence and I had a few cows that were in heat. I did not know about it until 15 minutes ago when the neighbor called and said he was over there. His bull is junk and has damaged the fence and possibly bred my cows. Do I have any legal recourse? I mean if my cows turn up pregnant can I sue him for say property damage for the fence and possibly for any losses that can occur. If the cows are pregnant they will be given a shot of lutalyse to abort. This guys bull is junk and he has nothing but calving problems. Can I sue this guy?

No. A fence is built to keep animals "OUT" as well as keep them in.

Solution: Buy him a new bull that you would not mind breeding your cows.

There ain't a chance he will break into your pasture then.

And remember, "One man's junk is another man's treasure".

Got a story for you that has a possible solution for further problems; An Angus guy was having the same problem with a neighbor's Char bull - kept breaking the fence and getting in with his cows. The neighbor didn't seem to care and never did anything about it. One day the Angus man and his hired man were checking the cows and there was that bull out amongst them again. They didn't have a gun, but had a knife and rope so they roped it down and cut it. They had a little problem when they went to let the Bull up - it was dead - a little ooops with the rope. Here they were with their neighbor's bull in their pasture, dead, with no nuts. Being resourceful, the hired man went back to the house and got a needle and white thread. They put the nuts back in and sewed up the sack - and thought they did a pretty good job of stitching. Then they drug the bull back into his pasture a ways, covered their tracks the best they could and went home. Whether or not their caper was ever discovered, they didn't know as nothing was ever said to them and they didn't say anything, either.

I can hear the owner now.............Now why would those guys castrate a "Dead" bull? :lol:

Pellet gun to the scrotum works like a charm if you're the cruel type. :shock:

Ive heard a story of an ole fella up here that ran a neighbors bull in and slapped the burdizzos on him. Let him out of the squeeze and never seen the bull again and never heard anything from the owner... :shock: I think neighbors should get along when it comes to a thing like bulls getting into pastures accidently. Our neighbor has a charolais bull and he sometimes gets in with our black cows. Ended up with a grey calf the next spring. :shock: The next year one of my Red Limo bulls got into his pasture and the next year he ended up with a nice lil buckskin calf..... :eek: Its the going joke now that we are on even ground 8)

Had a good one that lasted for two years with a neighbor. His bull was a home raised grey brockle faced beauty with one horn pointing south, and the other east.

The first year was the usual, call and get him out scenerio. The second year it happened twice and the second time I stopped in for a visit. These folks were a little bushed to say the least. I asked him to deal with the bull again, and he asked me what he should do. I slipped out something about if it were up to me it would be a gun. He headed off to the back room and I could hear his wife shouting at him that he need not kiss anyones ass or something like that. Couldn't really hear the rest of what was being said as my backward motions quickly turned into a forward gear in my pickup.

Saw him out in the field later with a rope and a driver in his orange appalosa truck. Kept driving by. Never saw the bull again, but we had a few nice little grey brockle faced calves out of some commercial angus cows.

Your probably going to have the nieghbor alot longer then hes going to have the bull.I'd really think about if you want a range war or not.Just my opinion :lol:

Unless your cows are registered and produce high dollar seedstock progeny, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the neighbor's bull is "junk", it is of a different breed than yours (I assume), so hybrid vigor will be working in your favor. The calves will probably turn out bigger and worth more than will your straight-bred calves. Even if they don't, as long as they are born alive and your cows give plenty of milk, the crossbred offspring will probably be good calves.

Don't sue the guy. Would you want him suing you, if the tables were turned? As far as "property damage" to the fence, how much property damage can one little old bull do? I'm guessing nothing that under an hour spent with posthole diggers and fence stretchers couldn't cure. It seems like you are making a mountain out of a molehill. As Mrs. Greg says, "You are probably going to have the neighbor a lot longer than he's going to have the bull. I'd really think about if you want a range war or not. Just my opinion." She gave you good advice. Take it.

Tell him you think your cows have BVD and he might want to get rid of his bull before he uses him. Also put up a hot wire to keep him out.

Tell him you think your cows have BVD and he might want to get rid of his bull before he uses him.

Pretty good Rancher. I'll have to remember that one.

Soapweed, You always make too much sense of things. :wink:

rancher said:

Tell him you think your cows have BVD and he might want to get rid of his bull before he uses him. Also put up a hot wire to keep him out.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Rancher, that was a hoot! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Heard of an embryo transplant outfit that had a neighbours scrub bull continually breaking in with the recip herd. Any and all complaints were ignored so the bull was caught up and given a vasectomy before being taken home. The bull's owner didn't realize his problem for quite a while and suffered from a lot of open cows. He finally run his bull to the sale barn and picked up another cowfreshener there and the cycle started all over again!!

Mike said:

No. A fence is built to keep animals "OUT" as well as keep them in.

Solution: Buy him a new bull that you would not mind breeding your cows.

There ain't a chance he will break into your pasture then.

And remember, "One man's junk is another man's treasure".

Laws on fencing out vs fencing in differe from state to state and locality to locality. Depends on where you live. But, like Soap says--this guy will probably be your neighbor for a while.

What's that old saying--good fences make good neighbors.

cowsense said:
Heard of an embryo transplant outfit that had a neighbours scrub bull continually breaking in with the recip herd. Any and all complaints were ignored so the bull was caught up and given a vasectomy before being taken home. The bull's owner didn't realize his problem for quite a while and suffered from a lot of open cows. He finally run his bull to the sale barn and picked up another cowfreshener there and the cycle started all over again!!

Sounds to me like the embryo transplant outfit should build better fence.GOOD FENCE makes for GOOD NEIGHBOR's If I had cows that were That valueable which most embryo cows are just cows anyhow nothing special, money spent on fence should be no worry.

Cutting the neighbors bull or pinching him in this case cost the owner of the bull alot of money where both parties were at fault.

What would the average Vet charge to do a vasectomy?

A lot more than a roll of high tensile wire and a solar powered fencer I'll bet.

TTCLM,

If your neighbors bull can get into your pasture, some day you're bull will be in his/her pasture.

The absolute dumbest thing you could do would be to cut or vesectomize your neighbor's bull because what goes around comes around. That knife literally cuts both ways.

A pellet gun Mike??? I'm glad you're not my neighbor or neither of us would have any fertile bulls left because I can shoot too.

There, see how well that works?

Rancher had the right answer. Run a hot wire and solve the problem.

The best solution, and this option may not be available to you, is to keep your open cows or heifers in an isolated pasture away from anyone's bulls before and while breeding. You can have the best fence in the world between neighbors but when the bulls on one side are looking for action and the heifers or cows on the other side are hot, many bulls are going to find a way to those open cows and heifers. They'll even try mounting them though the fence and break their tools on the wire if they can't crawl through.

Run a hot wire and be done with it or keep your cows isolated when they are open. Your neighbor's bull is not doing anything your bull may also do someday. I doubt you would want some cowboy wannabee cutting your expensive bull would you?

When I read these "revenge" stories it makes me cringe because I have been on both sides of this deal. We've had our bulls in the neighbors and we had their bulls in ours. We finally started breeding in an isolated pasture which solved the problem. If we couldn't, we would have done as Rancher said and run a hot wire. Bulls respect electricity and they are usually well grounded.

~SH~

While what good ole SH has to say has some merit,let's not forget the problem has been chronic,I would also install the "Hot wire" with my neighbors help,everybody's happy.
If my neighbor would not share in the work/cost,instead of loading his bull and hauling him back home,I would haul him to the local sale barn as a stray and then put up the "Hot wire" I have had it with these hobby farmers and their 3 long horns to keep from paying taxes............good luck

Latest posts