• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What the #### is this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hope many people got the moisture they need. We got from 2.60 to 4.10 on parts of our place from Sat. night to this morning. Maybe more than that on the place north of Kadoka. Brave Bull creek, just a few rods behind our house is rising fast, about 2/3 full now. That is maybe a 7 to 10 foot deep and wide channel here. Hope we get some flooded creek bottoms, just not too deep. Don't want to have to sandbag our walk out basement. We haven't had to do that in the 37 years we have had it, but got within 20 feet of the door a few years ago, so suppose it is a possibility.Still have a lot of dams that haven't caught much water yet. Good luck to those who need more rain, and to those who have too much, we can still handle more, so pass it this way!

MRJ

"Bev: "the celry should come now "

Faster Horses, I think Bev is talking about the celery that comes on from good rains this time of the year. We get onions usually, but not as much celery as that gumbo country. I know that sheep really like both plants, and assume that cows eat some of it too. I know my dad says that the milk cows milk used to taste onion like in the early summer. I am assuming that is what Bev is referring to. These plants dry up fast when we get hot weather, as they are shallow rooted. I am not great at spotting it, but we have indian turnips that grow on the good years too. They are edible to humans. We had a gal that worked here once that peeled prickly pear and ate that raw. Not for me. Isn't it fun to think about things growing again.

On the grass tetany subject, you referred to mineral helping out some, but isn't the normal level of Mag. in most minerals too low to meet a cows requirement during the critical time? Please correct me if I am wrong. Last year we fed Mag cake up to the middle of May, and still lost two cows directly after that on pure native range. And they came off native range. I am assuming that is what tipped them over, as they were middle aged cows with good calves on them.

MRJ, congrats on the rain. I know you need it too. I think we got close to 2 in. possibly out of the last week. The snow was real hard to measure. It fell faster than I think I have ever seen it fall before today. It is down to a couple inches, with some bare spots showing up already. We had a couple calves born during the storm, and they were plumb fine outside. I'll take this kind of storm anytime.

Hubby said there were 4 or 5 inches of heavy wet snow on the ground here this morning and he dumped .40" of water out of the rain gauge this afternoon... and none of that was rain. I didn't see anything here until this afternoon because I was supposed to be teaching school in Buffalo yesterday and today. When the snow started to fall after school last night I decided to stay in town instead of drive the forty miles home and I wound up getting snowed in over there - and then school was called off! I brought some of the grandkids home with me this afternoon and got stuck a couple times after we left the highway. Haven't had this much fun in years! And the moisture is wonderful!!!

Yes the celery is what i am talking about and in this gumbo country it comes good after alot of moisture and we had an inch of half of rain from Sat to mon and then the snow.Turned the rain gauge over as thought it might fgreeze and break so don't know how much moisture would have been in it. Our snow didn't run much water as it didn't start going unitl about 3 yesterday afternoon as it was to cold and then quit about 6;30 and this morning was chilly and cloudy and now the sun is out at 2 and the snow is gone so no more run off. The husband and brother are out seeing if it got in the dams we needed it in the most so we can start turning to the pastures where they will be for the summer.
We really have a wind this afternoon and it is 50 now so is drying the road some.
A good thing this waited until now as our lots ar really muddy and would have had alot of sickness calving in them now.
Just turned the last 2 to calve out of the lot here by the house and the cow with the set of twins on her. Guess she will have to raise them as don't think we are going to have a place for one of them.
The moisture was nice and the gumbo is turning green again and that is good.
We did the mag barrels and the cake both this year so that should help i think with the tetany. HAven't lost anything yet and the older cows have been out on it for a week or so all ready. Of course there is old grass with it.
ok everyone take care and enjoy the great moisture.
This print really comes up to small for me to see very well on here even with the bifocals so geuss i can blame the spelling on that huh"""""""""""""
Ok take care and guess i will go out and enjoy some sunshine since it hasn't shined for awhile./
The grandson from Billings called at noon and he said west of there it is flooding all over the place and Cooley dam is running over for those of you who know where that is. Gee has been along time since Montana has had that much water for awhile also. Should bring teh Yellowstone river up some as when we were up there last fall it was pretty low.
Ok take care everyone and keep hoping the wet spell hangs around for awhile but will take rain from now on. We need a hard thunderstorm to fill some of other dams because they aren't on hardpan and that is the only that got any water this time.
BevM :D

Glad to hear that most everyone is getting moiture. Keep your fingers crossed Shelly :wink: Things are looking better here. They declared our county a disaster area in March. We've gotten 2 inches in the last two weeks, and is raining again :D :) Is supposed to rain thru next friday, could set a record for May. We're very happy about it, but it's been warmer here, high 30's to 40's at night. Cows are happy too. Grass looks real good, ponds are iffy but we've been using the pasture with the worst water for almost a month already and we didn't think we'd get to use it at all :) Rancher...you'll cheer up when the snow melts, are the mares foaling yet? Take care everyone, enjoy the moisture
Oh, our apricot tree was in full bloom a couple weeks ago and it got down to 20 one night, we thought it froze but it's got little apricots on it!

So Bev, tell me more about the celery. I had never heard of it in my entire before.

I know about wild onion, death camas and larkspur. I hope celery is not in that catagory. (Wild onion isn't dangerous, but the other two sure are.) I'd like to know what celery is and to watch for it. Is it good feed?

We have some winterfat in our pastures and that is sure good winter feed. We don't have enough to amount to much, but I like knowing it is growing there.

I'm not Bev, but we have celery too. We call it celery but I think it is actually wild parsley, and there are several varieties. Most of them are bright yellow, but some are white also. Some years the cows really eat it and some (like this year) they don't seem to. Maybe depends on how much grass is out. It definately is not poisonous, I always pick some and eat it and I'm still here :? I always think I should use some in cooking but never have. How much rain/snow have you gotten now?

We had 2.5 inches of rain and then another .6 of miscellaneous snow and rain. So guess that is over three inches since last Saturday night. YIPPEE!! Town got even more. It did flood some in town as well. Our creek is higher than we have ever seen it in the 11 years we have lived here. We moved some pairs today and the horses were really sinking in. This country is pretty soaked up and getting very green. YIPPEE!!

They say this country doesn't need much rain, but needs to get it at the right time. Couldn't have come better. Lots of smiling people.

Glad to hear you got rain. Nothing picks up the spirits more then rain, green grass and new calves. I remember last year our horse sank in on the tops of some bare hill tops. Quite strange for this country. We are still dry and so cold that no grass is greening up yet. I think some trees have been froze so probably no berries this summer.

BMR, I read that you guys N. of the border need to start keeping records of your calving dates (down to the day, I believe) this spring for MID. Is that correct? I can post where I read it if you would like. That individual birth date down to the day would be a big burden for us here. Some guessing might be going on. :)

I really can't see you guys doing that either.

the real jake said:
BMR, I read that you guys N. of the border need to start keeping records of your calving dates (down to the day, I believe) this spring for MID. Is that correct? I can post where I read it if you would like. That individual birth date down to the day would be a big burden for us here. Some guessing might be going on. :)

I really can't see you guys doing that either.

Jake we register the birth date but for me I register the day I start calving so all my calves are the same age as the oldest calf. So when the oldest is 30 months the youngest migth be 28 but none will be older.

Latest posts