• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What to avoid in a one ton truck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Justin said:
per said:
What I need help with is what engines to avoid mostly. I have both a dually and a single pulling similar trailers and like/dislike aspects of both. I just don't want to buy a truck and find out it has the powertrain that never should have been invented.

the Ford 6.0 is the only one i've had that i would never buy again. not much of a chevy guy so i can't speak for those.

I agree 100% on the 6.0

I might get banned from this site but I must defend the Chevy trucks.

My old 1978 4X4 Chevy with a small block 400 and a turbo 400 lasted almost 500,000 miles most of which were spent pulling a WW gooseneck with a 6 1/2 X 30 foot box and a 6 1/2 X 7 foot neck - - - many a feeder pig rode in the neck or when hauling horses the saddles rode there.

My 1984 Chevy service truck ( 350 V8 with a turbo 400 ) was just recently replaced with a 2001 model - - - both had ( have ) dual rear tires but I am looking for some 19 1/2 " super single wheels and I will eliminate 2 tires. The 1984 would push the scales down over 13,000# with all the tools and would still pull a backhoe - - - had to treat it very nice to get 12 MPG but it was always heavy and went over 250,000 miles before a neighbor destroyed it.

The 2001 Chevy 3500 HD has an 8.1 liter V8 with a 6 speed Allison and I guess I am satisfied as I still get about 12 MPG and it now weighs it just over 15,000# and will not even notice when I pull the backhoe - - - except the mileage does drop to around 9 MPG.

The 2001 had 182,000 miles on it when I bought it and only has about 5,000 more now but I love the fact it looks and smells new inside and rides good even with the massive springs and I beam front axel.

I was looking for a duramax when I found this 2001 but at the low price I paid I could not pass it up and the money I saved on the purchase will go a long way toward paying for the gas. I was hoping for 15 MPG as I drive very conservatively but have not been able to get there yet. After the holidays I will service the truck and hope to squeeze a little better mileage from it.

We have a 2003 3500 Duramax that has been a good darn truck. Had the injectors replaced under warranty at about 110,000. A water pump is about the only other thing. Had several Dodge guys that have ridden in it surprised you could carry on a conversation while riding in it :D Bought a 2012 Dodge 1500 crew cab for everyday transportation and trips. The Chevy is still more pleasurable to ride in. The Allison transmission has been bulletproof. When we bought it Chevy only made one tons in duallys. Put a flat bed on it after knocking the inevitable hole in the fender flare. Still take it to town a lot as whole pallets of feed or bundles of posts can be easily set on the bed and I don't worry much about what it weighs. When I do hook onto a trailer I like the comfort of knowing there are two more heavy tires supporting the load.

Angus 62 said:
We have a 2003 3500 Duramax that has been a good darn truck. Had the injectors replaced under warranty at about 110,000. A water pump is about the only other thing. Had several Dodge guys that have ridden in it surprised you could carry on a conversation while riding in it :D Bought a 2012 Dodge 1500 crew cab for everyday transportation and trips. The Chevy is still more pleasurable to ride in. The Allison transmission has been bulletproof. When we bought it Chevy only made one tons in duallys. Put a flat bed on it after knocking the inevitable hole in the fender flare. Still take it to town a lot as whole pallets of feed or bundles of posts can be easily set on the bed and I don't worry much about what it weighs. When I do hook onto a trailer I like the comfort of knowing there are two more heavy tires supporting the load.

We have a 2008 Dodge one ton dually with the gas Hemi engine. It doesn't have a lot of power for pulling a trailer, but with it's extra wide stance, we can haul two full pallets of salt or mineral. My son used 3" x 1" tubing to make a railing around the edge of our Hydra-Bed, so stuff doesn't fall off. The tubing doesn't affect the arms for feeding hay at all. This is an idea the Hydra-Bed manufacturers should consider as an available option for their bale beds.

MysonputthisledgearoundaHydra-Bed.jpg

My son put this edge around a Hydra-Bed.
Itmakesaniceusingpickupoutofabalebe.jpg

It makes a nice using pickup out of a bale hauler.
Theendgatecomesoutifneededandstaysp.jpg

The endgate comes out if needed.
Withtheselatchesevenwhenitisupsided.jpg

These latches hold the endgate in place even when it is upside down

I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 diesel and I gotta say it's extremely impressive in the pulling department. I have no complaints. It's 3 times the pickup as the 6.0 I had. Used it to haul hay and cattle all year and you don't even notice you have a trailer hooked on. Its only a SRW but i'm not a fan of the dually because they are worthless around here...

Sparky sure does nice, clean, finished work, Soap.

Here's a little food for thought on the duals vs. singles debate.
A fellow from here has an early 2000's F350 crew cab 4X4 on singles with a Hydra Bed on it. He puts up a lot of hay every year and takes in close to 2,000 head of outside cows in the winter to run on stalks. After he got the 350 and started using it, he began ruining tires and rims on the rear end. He put the heaviest tires he could find on new rims and didn't ruin any more tires, but within a month or less he would have the rims ruined...no matter what rims he put on, he would ruin them in short order. Long story short, he was baling his bales as big and heavy as the baler would allow...then loading 2 of them on the 350, it was too much weight and something had to fail, namely the rims. He put duals on it and hasn't had a problem since. Now he does rum rough country and will run 10-15 miles away from his bale yard to where the cows are.

Modern one tons are about the equivalent of most 60's model 3/4 tons. I don't care what flavor you choose, or what you have under the hood or behind the engine...You aren't driving a 379 Pete! You are lacking gears, brakes and springs. There are plenty of good, cheap 2 tons out there that can be shortened and used for most any trailer pulling purpose, with a lot less cash outlay than a new or late model one ton. Plus, the 2 ton will outlast a one ton by probably 2 or 3 to one, and cost less to insure and at the courthouse. My old rule of thumb is if you are pulling much more than a 20 foot stock trailer with a one ton, you will have problems down the road. I love the F550 for what it will handle with ease. If my tanks are full, with the weight of the product, tanks, and skids, there is usually 9,000# or more on the bed when I leave. I can haul 4 pallets of dry feed on the bed with no problem (4 tons), and have had 5 ton of dry feed individually stacked on the bed...again...no problem and don't need to drag a trailer around. The duals can be a real PITA in mud, but there is no perfect solution...unless you are gonna get a UNIMOG, IMHO.

the problem with older two/three ton's is that 99% are two wheel drive and are stuck on wet grass unless you chain-up. I bought a mid nineties F-700 with doing what you suggest in mind,but quickly found that the F-350 4X4 is much more versatile.....

best of the season to all

hayguy said:
the problem with older two/three ton's is that 99% are two wheel drive and are stuck on wet grass unless you chain-up. I bought a mid nineties F-700 with doing what you suggest in mind,but quickly found that the F-350 4X4 is much more versatile.....

best of the season to all

Mr. FH would not want a pickup without 4x4. We do have a F-8000 with a flatbed/dumpbed that he uses for hauling hay into the stackyard. Pulling his 30' flatbed trailer, he can handle 30 bales at a time. And with the bale buncher he bought, he can move a lot of hay, pretty darn fast. But he'd not want to use that Ford 8000 for much of anything else, except short hauls around the ranch. He uses the 1-ton Dodge dually for everything else (except for the Scout/Xterra that he uses for fencing, etc). We don't have problems with the one-tons. Have had 1997, 2002, 2006 and 2011. (I thought the 2011 was a 2010, sorry about that.)

Here he is, ready to go. You can see the Ford 8000 in the background. I took this through the kitchen window.

screen shot

The modification that Sparky did on your bale bed is really sharp, Soap.
He doesnt' have to take a back seat to anyone.

Helped a neighbor find a 03 International 148" wheel base single axle tractor 10 speed with a cummins engine. Great truck and he gave $7,000 for it. If you pull over a 24' trailer I think that is the only way to go.

4Diamond said:
Helped a neighbor find a 03 International 148" wheel base single axle tractor 10 speed with a cummins engine. Great truck and he gave $7,000 for it. If you pull over a 24' trailer I think that is the only way to go.

Amen, brotha! People are just asking more from a one ton than what it can safely do. I know the single axle tractors aren't a 4WD, but if its bad enough you need to pull the panic stick to get around you might oughta find something else to do for the day. Snow + mud+ bad weather + 1 ton 4WD + heavily loaded trailer = possible disaster.

I've considered a Freightliner like the PRCA guys use if I get to hauling 24 foot trailers.

I think some of the consideration between a 45o/550 and coverted2 ton is how far you drive in it. Maybe the only 2 tons I have been in are just really old tho ;-}

We have looked at lots of the 1 1/2 tons on up. I haul just enough out of pastures, I'm not convinced they will work. Then by the time you figure the poorer mileage, and the need for a second runaround vehicle, I think I am better off with a dually.
Maybe its just me wanting a dually. :???:
The other thing about using a pull vehicle, like my regular pickup, is I can get past Griffin a good part of the time. Kitrina maybe the only one on here who knows what that means, but Griffin is the local DOT guy.
While I very seldom haul for hire, mainly trading labor, I still am big enough that there is a gray area in the laws, According to ME. If I bump up to a bigger puller, the gray areas disappear, and the fuel permits, heavier license plates, and log book all come into play. I am not ready to jump through those hoops just yet.

Ask two different DOT nitwits the exact same question and you will get two totally different answers. You need this...no, you don't need it. Blah, blah, blah.

I don't worry about them. I drive the gravel & dirt roads whenever feasible and take the blacktop when I have to. A year ago I had 3 troughs placed less than a mile from a MAJOR DOT checkpoint on a major highway...the kind that runs from Canada to Mexico. I just stayed on the gravel and all I ever did was simply cross the highway. But I'll be the first to admit that those nitwits can ruin your whole day. Nobody needs trouble from them.

I have a 8x28 cattle trailer and for about 6 years have pulled it with an f250 and a 5.4 gas pickup The trailer will hold 17 1300# cows easy and I don't haul much more than 5 miles so I never won any speed records. Now I have a 09 F350 dually with a V10 gas which will pull that trailer loaded 70 miles an hour or faster if you want I don't want. One time a year I wander a couple hundred miles from home other than that I stay pretty close to home no need for an extra rig. As it is I have about 20 batteries to maintain in tractors trucks and other equipment I don't need or want anymore.

We have an older international on a 48' groundload. I love the thing and it goes in and out of pastures as we need it to.

Those ground loads are super nice.

We use our 1-ton for everything except for hauling hay into the stack and we are comfortable even doing that, if necessary. Mr. FH is very careful and doesn't abuse his rigs and we have NEVER had a problem pulling anything. What he USED to say was that pulling wasn't the problem, stopping was; so he always had an exhaust brake installed. On this 2011 Dodge, that came standard on the pickup.

Latest posts