• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What to do?! Urgent!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I am looking into expanding, and I was looking at either buying a Registered Black Angus cow/ calf pair, or 2-3 feeder steers/heifers. If I would buy the cow calf pair, they would cost me $1200.00. The cow is exceptional, with a healthy Triple Threat calf at side. No line breeding in these lines.
If I would but 3 feeders, I would like them to be healthy, growthy 500 pounders. preferably heifers, so I could retain them as cows. Also, would iot be better to buy a bred heifer? or 2?
Thanks for any input.
P.s.
if you have any, and you are within a two hours drive from Humboldt, or saskatoon, let me know. :wink: :cboy:

Sandhusker,
the calf is a heifer, and I think if i get her, I would probably hold her back. but if i got a feeder heifer, i could breed her this year yet, and have a calf in june/july 06. Same goes with the bred heifer. If I buy one, it would pay off sooner, but i am still un sure of what to do.
I have a lot of pasture on the farm, so there wouldn't be any pasture fees. We are makin hay, so there is bales for them too. Also it has to be something nnot too mean, cuz i hafta take care of them while dad is in the field. mom will be going back to school so my little brother and I will have to take care of them.

I'd look down the road a couple of years (this time in 07) and rub some lead.
Plan A) Buy the pair for $1200. Since you're mooching pasture off dear ol Dad :wink: the $1200 is about all you'll have into the deal. Figuring roughly, you'll end up with your cow ($800), her 06 calf ($800), her 07 calf ($500) TT ($800) and her first calf ($500) for a grand total of $3400.

Plan B) You can maybe get 2 heifers for the price of your pair, depending on age, but they certainly won't be ready to breed until next spring, with your first calf crop in 07. Say you do get them bought for $600 apeice, you'll end up with (2) heifers worth $800 ($1600) and their two calves (1000) for the same grand total of (2600).

Since pasture is free, it looks like the first option might be the best. If you had to pay for pasture, it might be a different story.

Ever hear of Lutton? My daughter is showing an Angus heifer out of him. She's not quite as good dispositioned as the Maine X heifers, but you know how those Agnus are :wink: :lol:

Sandhusker said:
I'd look down the road a couple of years (this time in 07) and rub some lead.
Plan A) Buy the pair for $1200. Since you're mooching pasture off dear ol Dad :wink: the $1200 is about all you'll have into the deal. Figuring roughly, you'll end up with your cow ($800), her 06 calf ($800), her 07 calf ($500) TT ($800) and her first calf ($500) for a grand total of $3400.

Plan B) You can maybe get 2 heifers for the price of your pair, depending on age, but they certainly won't be ready to breed until next spring, with your first calf crop in 07. Say you do get them bought for $600 apeice, you'll end up with (2) heifers worth $800 ($1600) and their two calves (1000) for the same grand total of (2600).

Since pasture is free, it looks like the first option might be the best. If you had to pay for pasture, it might be a different story.

Ever hear of Lutton? My daughter is showing an Angus heifer out of him. She's not quite as good dispositioned as the Maine X heifers, but you know how those Agnus are :wink: :lol:

I stook bales all day for that grass, if anything, he is mooching off me! LOL!
Anywho, mabye i will explain it the way i think you just said it, okay?
Cow- 400.00
calf-400.00
'06 calf-400.00
black Angus Semen- let's say, 80.00
Vaccines- approx.-30.00
some grain- I might be able to score some from Dad for some manual labor :wink:
paper transfer- 40.00
Registration fees- 20.00
Total- 1320.00 and some labor, but when come sale time, I will have 8 females to breed in april, and 4 of them with calves, so half are bulls, and I have two offers for 2200.00.sell them and that is a total of 4400.00(approx) now minus 1320 and I will hopefully have a profit of 2288.00. am I correct? or how were you trying to put it?
Anyone else have opinions?
No I have never heard of lutton. What semen company is he out of? Ever heard of T J Amigo V615? If so, where can you buy some semen, and howmuch. How has he worked for everyone?

Buy the cow ....you know what you are buying into....some of the guesswork is already done! You won't find any decent feeder heifers at your budget price as the market is rising fast. Now if you really wanted something really special you'd buy into your sister's hereford heifer :wink: :lol:

cowsense said:
Buy the cow ....you know what you are buying into....some of the guesswork is already done! You won't find any decent feeder heifers at your budget price as the market is rising fast. Now if you really wanted something really special you'd buy into your sister's hereford heifer :wink: :lol:
But my sister is only 6... :D :kid: :nod: :lol2:

Latest posts