• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What to put on the upper drive roll on an old round baler?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score
I see where people have sprayed rhino liner on them to help get the hay started rolling easier, wrapped them in rubber, put some kind of traction pipe tape stuff on them, etc...

Anybody have any thoughts on what I should do? Thanks!

In my experience if the bales don't want to start it's usually the chevrons on the belts are worn down too far (expensive fix) and / or someone has cheaped out on pick-up teeth and put short jobber teeth in. But most of my experience with belt balers is JD, and they don't have a big roll for starting the bale.

I asked that question 4 years ago about our 535 Deere. The only fix if the rubber is worn too far is to replace the roller. The rubber is glued (cooked on) at the factory.

The deal is....I feel I was forced to play my hand and get an old round baler that my M can run. I only have $1700 total wrapped up in a tractor, mower, rake, small square baler and now this baler all together. I figured I might have to do a little something to this baler. It does have all new hoses, chain, sprockets, bearings and 2 new roles of twine.

Silver said:
In my experience if the bales don't want to start it's usually the chevrons on the belts are worn down too far (expensive fix) and / or someone has cheaped out on pick-up teeth and put short jobber teeth in. But most of my experience with belt balers is JD, and they don't have a big roll for starting the bale.

Thanks! I hadn't heard of chevrons before yet. I searched and see that's the belt thread/pattern I think. Might of seen where there is mini-rough, chevron, diamond patterns. Shoot, I went and looked and my belts are as smooth as a baby's bottom. That's not good then, huh? I'll check the pick-up teeth! I appreciate! I'm already learning a lot from your post here!

gcreekrch said:
I asked that question 4 years ago about our 535 Deere. The only fix if the rubber is worn too far is to replace the roller. The rubber is glued (cooked on) at the factory.

Thanks! hmmmm. The roller is pretty smooth....well, it feels a little gritty, but I think that is the rust... :D

I also seen where a person can weld beads of tracks across them???

paint it with garage floor paint then throw sand in the wet paint.Redo as needed.

Denny said:
paint it with garage floor paint then throw sand in the wet paint.Redo as needed.

Thanks, Denny! That's sounds like an easy enough thing that I would be able to do to it!

I'm still going to do all the small square baling I have storage for, but am excited to not have to pay for custom big baling any more and have a quick option for if rain is coming or something if I'm small square baling. Hopefully the thing works out. I started looking into hay tarps for tarping the small squares I can't get under a roof, but...

I take it you have hooked it to your tractor and tried rolling it over?

Sometimes it takes a bit for the belts to "lose their memory" where they go around the rollers. Something also to check is belt length, they do stretch and might not be tight enough for the friction to do it's job.

gcreekrch said:

Sometimes it takes a bit for the belts to "lose their memory" where they go around the rollers. Something also to check is belt length, they do stretch and might not be tight enough for the friction to do it's job.

It sounds wrong---but I was told belts actually get shorter over time. I bought a jd 535, belts looked good but I had a lot of trouble with them and had to resplice several. Then more trouble.

Duh! Lose over an inch with every splice. 8 belts, 2 different lengths on this machine. Pulled them out--2 at a time. No two the same length. Had factory specs for min, max length of each set. The long ones were just long enuf to make max length short belts. The short belts got maybe 16" spliced into them to become max length long belts. If you put in a little piece, you want to cut off enuf from belt so both splices aren't on roller at same time.

Caution! On this baler, you don't want to pull them all out on once or something big might hit you on the head!

As for chevrons, don't some old Vermeer and heston balers not have any to begin with?

Rubber on drive rollers on this baler getting really thin---was gonna try liquid nail but figured it'd build up crap---I like Denny's idea Way better--thanks Denny~~

This baler and at least the neighbor's red baler that burnt up has got 2 drive rollers---one drives from one side, then on the other side a chain hooks the other two together and drives the second. If you lose this chain, it'll maybe perplex you, as if you're real careful and hay is light, it'll still bale. That's how the neighbor lady lost hers, kept trying to make it bale and finally it got so hot it caught on fire. Had it out with chemical fire ext, but couldn't keep it out. I suggest you carry a water fire ext--

gcreekrch said:

I haven't hooked it to the tractor yet. It's a International 241, which seems to get cussed a bunch to say the least on the internet here. About every other thing I read is someone having trouble getting the bale started. I'm just preparing for that first day using.

Yeah, I have a lot up in the air on the belts. ....the splices, what kind of splicer to get, do I need to replace all or some of them. As soon as I can, I'm going to order a manual for it. It should have belt length specs in it, right?

Just by looking at it, 2 of the belts seem to be way looser than the rest. Probably be a good thing to take them all off here at the start and check length and size them the same, wouldn't it?

I appreciate the help, gcreek! Having never big baled, I have a lot to learn!

Take a picture of the lacing. If they are 4 inch belts and the lighter type of lacing I think have a tool here you can have for the postage.

I'll look on the weekend. Busy today still and headed foe the cow sale and signing our new purchase at Williams Lake tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips and warnings, littlejoe!

I was even going to ask that about what to have in the fire extinguishers.

I'll check on that chain on the other side!

My belts are pretty smooth, with tiny little circles on them. I'm hoping I won't have to replace them all.

gcreekrch said:
Take a picture of the lacing. If they are 4 inch belts and the lighter type of lacing I think have a tool here you can have for the postage.

I'll look on the weekend. Busy today still and headed foe the cow sale and signing our new purchase at Williams Lake tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure they are 4 inch belts...I'll measure, but you don't have to go through the trouble of that! You have a lot going on! Again, I think that's great you got that place! Awesome stuff!

gcreekrch said:
I take it you have hooked it to your tractor and tried rolling it over? "The rubber is glued (cooked on) at the factory."

Hey Gcreek I thought you knew that with enough "Friction" the "Rubber gets cooked on". :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:
I take it you have hooked it to your tractor and tried rolling it over? "The rubber is glued (cooked on) at the factory."

Hey Gcreek I thought you knew that with enough "Friction" the "Rubber gets cooked on". :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Believe me, it's been tried! JD told me I couldn't wrap/glue rubber to the drive rolls, it was one of those "hold my beer" moments in life. :lol:

A day wasted while waiting for 2 new $700.00 rollers. It was still cheaper than a new baler. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:

Believe me, it's been tried! JD told me I couldn't wrap/glue rubber to the drive rolls, it was one of those "hold my beer" moments in life. :lol:

A day wasted while waiting for 2 new $700.00 rollers. It was still cheaper than a new baler. :wink:

I guess I should have let Jigs point that out for you. :roll:

Latest posts