• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What to (re)build . . .

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Gotta make some choices. Since we have a rebuilding clause in our insurance policy (no surprise) we are in the process of trying to figure out what kind of building will best suit our purposes. This is a little more complicated than one might expect since we are having a hard time deciding what our "purpose" is right now.

Even before the fire, I had pretty well decided to cull hard in order to have a good herd to offer for sale. We could no longer economically justify having cows, and that is putting it very kindly. The only thing that was keeping the girls here this long was my stubbornness at quitting the cow business. And if you don't understand that, try sitting down right now and thinking about selling your cows. All of them. Tomorrow!

Now we are faced with the choice of what kind of building to put up in the spring. My first thought was to build a barn that is the kind of barn that I dreamed of every time I hit my head on a low timber while cleaning loose pens or broke through the second story floor with the tractor while storing round bales upstairs in the old barn.

I think the best choice would be to build a large, monolithic, versatile structure. I envision a building that would be about 50' x 150', running east and west with the south side completely open toward a yard that would allow livestock to run in and out. One could put a curtain on the south side if necessary in the winter. One end would be used for bale storage while the rest would be loose pens with a manger running down the inside of the closed wall.

But how does one justify spending a lot of money with cattle prices being mired in 30 year old levels? Maybe I'll just build a doghouse with a good couch and receptacle for a T.V. . . . . . :wink:

What would your ideas be if you were in this situation?

I don't have any idea of your proximity to town etc., but what about some other sort of building that has outside commercial possibilities?

How about a automobile manufacturing plant/barn then you could ask for a BAIL OUT. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously if i can be, what about a more dual purpose building that could be used for a shop?

Our barn is 42x138 totally enclosed but we have 5, 12ftx 14 ft doors and a man door and a 6ft slider in one corner. We have a tack room, horse tie stalls with a loft for small squares. cattle working facilities , maternity pen and a round pen in the back end for starting colts. Lots of different thing you could do.

I agree with Big Muddy, a barn of sorts that could double as a shop or machinery storage in case you do decide to sell your herd. But then again maybe you don't have any machinery to store. I don't envy your decision about your cows. I cuss mine all the time but I would really miss them if they weren't around. If I didn't have a reason to go outside to take care of our stock I would probably sit in the warm house all day. Sounds kind of crazy I know but keeping busy in the winter months keeps me happier than doing nothing.

not sure about your winds, but here an open to the south building will get blown up in the summer... gotta have a place for that wind to get away. plus the sun will fade anything in there if open to the south

I hear you about the bailout possibilities! With my luck the bailout would be all bailed out by the time I'm ready!! I see the need for a section of it that would provide a space for working cattle or housing something that needs a space of its own for a while.

I would certainly use some of it for machinery storage (combine, etc. rather than pay rent next door) but my plan would be for at least an 18' sidewall, so height would not be an issue. Not sure what the opportunity is for commercial space right now since a lot of businesses have closed the doors in this part of the country in the past year . . . :( bad news in that regard.

jigs, our prevailing wind is from the west and the layout here is fairly well sheltered from the south. There are several livestock facilities around here that are open to the south and seem to work quite well. I never thought of the fading problem though, if we would use it for storage.

we parked a planter in a shed open to the south. sun ruined the liquid fert tanks....

I love my building open to the south. But then I put an 18' leanto on the south so while I have a 16' sidewall in the main building the eave hieght is only 8' on the south where the cattle come in and the post worked great when I put in a feed bunk. I dropped the floor 6" at the break so the feed bunk is slightly above floor hieght where the cattle stand and I sloped the floor 1/2" per foot to the south under the cattle.

In the summer I can open the 24' wide doors on the east and west so the wind can blow thru and cool the cattle under the leanto. With it open to the south the low winter sun comes in to warm the cattle but the higher summer sun goes over.

I have not had problems fading inside but the equipment is at least 18' from the outside so the direct sun does not reach it.

I wish you all the best with your decision Burnt.That's a choice,i'm sure crosses everyones mind occasionally,but the market here at lest is really low.Can you keep them around a little longer.I know it's a simple case of economics, and family continuity comes into play big time.Gotta keep everyone happy,healthy and fed.Sure is hard giving up something you like to do.I'm praying the market gets going and we can all keep our cattle and expand our operations,even if it's wishful thinking.Good luck Pard.Metal barn this time,eh?

Just my 2 bits worth-- but I had a toddy last night with a SD cattle buyer friend- telling each other lies and comparing grandbabies :wink: -- and he said if you can hang onto the cows about another month- they are going to get hot again...
The fall (Oct-Dec) run of culls was big, and has about been used up--and for some reason that is what the packers want anymore-killer cows.... Also there is quite a shortage of breds for when green grass starts showing up- and folks get over the rough winter duldrums and feel optimism again....
The old boy knows the business- and hasn't ever steered me wrong before...

Thanks for your input, everyone. Yup, it would be metal clad.

I agree that the market has to turn due to the amount of cows that have gone to town in the past year. I have a good supply of feed for the time being. April can't come too soon to suit me this year.

burnt said:
Thanks for your input, everyone. Yup, it would be metal clad.

I agree that the market has to turn due to the amount of cows that have gone to town in the past year. I have a good supply of feed for the time being. April can't come too soon to suit me this year.

I was at the local sale today- and prices were pretty gloomy if you were a seller...Good 950-1000lb bred heifers (both colors) were $750- tops $865...Mid aged nice black cows less than that....Good Short termers and older Solid Mouths around $500 to $550....Many folks selling cows because they don't have the feed to get them thru the winter (which only means they will have extra grass in the spring- and probably be wanting to restock with something)...Some I saw come in today are from areas where they usually don't feed any or little during the winter- but this year have had to...

I talked to one other mostly old cow buyer friends today- and he agreed- another month- and cow prices will get hot....He also said they have had a heavy fall and early winter run- and things are really slowing down now for culls--which the packers have seemed to be switching towards rather than the higher dollar fats... Possibly the economy- more burger, less expensive steaks :???:

If you have the feed- hang on to them......

There sure seemed to be some optimism in the buyers at Belle Fourche today. 3's and 4's that didn't look to fancy bring $1,100+, solids will bring $1,000 and the better broken mouth cows are bringing $6-700. Bred heifers were the best buy with most of them under $1,000.

515# steers $1.25 on superior this morning decent looking calves bringing fair prices average cattle are bringing what they are worth.

180 575# Black steer's in Kansas 1.14 and they did'nt sell them
180 550# black steer's 1st 250 miles freight free March delivery $121.25PO'ed these also
Myself I don't think the prices are all that bad I know If they we mine I'd of sold them

Well that's good news because I think my calves are going next week. The steers will be 8 weights and the hfrs 7's. Fairly green yet. The plan was to keep them at least until spring and then decide whether to sell or finish them. But I don't want to tie up the neighbours barn on them any longer than necessary and they seem to be going really good now.

Besides, after the winter we have had so far, the sunny south is calling loudly. . .

Richard Doolittle said:
There sure seemed to be some optimism in the buyers at Belle Fourche today. 3's and 4's that didn't look to fancy bring $1,100+, solids will bring $1,000 and the better broken mouth cows are bringing $6-700. Bred heifers were the best buy with most of them under $1,000.

Must be plenty of feed in SD to get them to grass time--because quite a few of those selling up here yesterday were headed to SD--and in order to do that with our Bangs restrictions they all have to be bled too to go out of state.....

Latest posts