• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What would you buy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
If you're getting a new Bar B Que?

Our old Propane grill is getting beat. We mostly do steak and burgers and some ribs. This old one flares up every time you turn your back. I don't usually take the time to use charcoal as something always seem to interrupt my BBQ.

Should a person buy a better quality propane or are these pellet ones pretty good?

Holland grills are about all you see in this neck of the woods...they are nice, even make pies in them!

I have a trager wood pellet grill and most people around here have one as well. I'm not a great BBQer but these work great. They're not the fastest so if your cooking a bunch of burgers for a get together might not work as well but for a steak they are great. I have heard people even cooking pizza on them. I don't do much of the cooking at our house but I can even handle the pellet grill. :) If you do get one I would recommend a digital heat setting. Mine just has the knobs for l m h and if the winds blowing and it's colder it's a little tricky to get the heat set right.

How about a custom made unit. Something to fit your or Tam's personality or in the shape of a horse, cow or brand. I'll bet you could commission Sparky for such a project. I recommend propane though as the custom made charcoal one here is nearly always trumped by a propane unit. 8)

off topic, but 3ML&C...do you run a semi?? in Salina Saturday we met a truck and bullrack the trailer said ML&C on it...thought of you

jigs said:
off topic, but 3ML&C...do you run a semi?? in Salina Saturday we met a truck and bullrack the trailer said ML&C on it...thought of you

We do have semi's but wasn't any of us. Both my dad and I have daycab t800. I think my mom had a holland grill for a long time but dealer quit selling and it rusted out. It was a really good gas grill.

We have a Traeger and love it. It's even older than 3ML&C's as it does have knobs :? But does a great job, you can fit quite a few burgers on it so it does for as big a get to togethers as we have. Food tastes great on it.

Treager. Have had one for three years and won't go back to gas. Had both for a year never used the gas and finally gave the gas one away. Holds 16 burgers, 10 min. on a side, The digital thermostat is nice. Best steak I ever had was cooked on it ( home raised beef :wink: )

The next one I get is going to be an infrared one. Charbroil is one of them I have looked at. I have a gas/charcoal combo, that is ok. And I built a huge smoker/wood grill, that I like. The infrared, isn't supposed to flare up, but still give you the speed of gas.

LazyWP said:
The next one I get is going to be an infrared one. Charbroil is one of them I have looked at. I have a gas/charcoal combo, that is ok. And I built a huge smoker/wood grill, that I like. The infrared, isn't supposed to flare up, but still give you the speed of gas.

True dat! We have a Char Broil infra red, and when it goes down for the count, we'll get another one.

We just bought a Hutington Rebel from Menards. We really like it so far. I put it together, it seems to be pretty stout and well made. It heats evenly and is easy to clean up. It is made by Onward Manufactoring Company. Here is a link if you want to read on it. http://www.omcbbq.com/. They were on sale, I felt like we got a pretty good buy on a quality grill.

We've got 2, a propane one that has never produced a good meal and a 1/2, 45 gallon drum with a grate over the top. Dry poplar fire down to coals has never failed to make a good meal And hey, you get all the smoky, flying ash benefits of camping out right at home. :wink:

I know a guy who built one. He can use propane and on the other end he can use pellets or charcoal and can cook anything

Hollands are awesome but cook slow. Webers are a very good grill that cooks even and can cook fast or slow. I have 2 webers and a Holland. I use the webers more than the Holland but there are some things that the Holland is just that much better.

The Green eggs are tough to beat, smoker combo and grill all in one. A little spendy but it is on my bucket list. http://www.biggreenegg.com/

have a cold one

lazy ace

Good question! I need something different myself. I grill 1 or 2 times a week year around to have the protein I need in the frig. I have yet to get a good one and have yet to have one last.

For me and mine it's definately a HOLLAND!
Yes it does cook slow, BUT you don't have to watch it just put your steak on and set a timer. Have a tall glass of milk, or other beverage. The timer will go off, flip, set timer, more milk. Ding Ding..... The perfect steak is done! You would have to have at least 10 glasses of milk to burn meat. :oops:

porkchop said:
For me and mine it's definately a HOLLAND!
Yes it does cook slow, BUT you don't have to watch it just put your steak on and set a timer. Have a tall glass of milk, or other beverage. The timer will go off, flip, set timer, more milk. Ding Ding..... The perfect steak is done! You would have to have at least 10 glasses of milk to burn meat. :oops:

By then you'd be too full to eat the steak anyway. :wink:

Latest posts