• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

what would you buy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
say you suppose to family ranch you have 5 million to spend....
how many head place would you buy?
would it be cow /calf/ yearling, cow/ calf or yearling grass cattle?
Hay ground , grass and cake , any( BLM, national grassland or forest service leases)?
Size ,number of cows or yearlings?

If I had $5 million to spend I'd buy a section of land, build a fine home right in the middle of it, get me a big ol' easy chair and tell the rest of the world to go to hell.

gcreekrch said:
Sell you place Jody?

Look north, you can buy a little cheaper and our .90 dollar should be attractive to you folks.
No go south the snow banks are smaller. For five million you can buy a lot of country in Az

Nothing else matters without good neighbors...I'd start with that.

Class of livestock doesn't matter much to me. Flexibility to deal with market conditions and drought would be important. That would probably mean a mix of livestock. I'd want them to match the environment. That might mean sheep alongside the cattle. I've recently been interested in mulitspecies grazing, but not ready to make the jump yet.

No hay. I hate making hay.

I would try to have an operation that doesn't require hired help (part of that is not making hay). I'd rather work with neighbors for branding, etc and not have to manage other people every day, much less try to find and keep good help.

This thread reminds me of the old joke: "How do you make a small fortune in the Philippines?"

Answer: "Start with a large fortune!"

Red Barn Angus said:
If I had $5 million to spend I'd buy a section of land, build a fine home right in the middle of it, get me a big ol' easy chair and tell the rest of the world to go to hell.

Wouldn't that be nice,i could relate to that!! :D

3words said:
Red Barn Angus said:

You guys are funny! Most ranchers would keep ranching til they lost it all......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

"Perseverance: steady persistence in a course of action in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement."

"Some forms of dementia, traumatic brain injury, anxiety and OCD can cause people to perseverate. They repeat words and tasks* or try repeatedly to solve problems, but are left frustrated and unsatisfied. They're not necessarily insane, but stuck in a non-productive pattern due to a glitch in brain function."

* - tasks being trying to make money with cattle.

:D :D :D :D

Thats the easiest question ever answered
Split your 5 million three ways
1/3 for a ranch
1/3 for cattle either at Express Angus or Schaff Angus
For cows you might fill a 30 ft Goosenck with your new herd
1/3 for feed to keep them in tip top shape
And you never have to over graze again
Then get a part time job as a school janitor or buss driver
To pay your elect bill etc

Faster horses said:
3words said:
Red Barn Angus said:

You guys are funny! Most ranchers would keep ranching til they lost it all......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

a rancher not far from here once said, "my family made our money in construction business, now i'm gonna ranch until it's gone."

:D

If you are serious about ranching you should look for a place that you won't need to feed hay. you could buy a pretty nice place for about half your money that would run quite a few stockers and still have the other half to invest in blue chip stocks. If you are addicted to cows and need to go cow calf you might need to spend more of the five to buy a ranch and it would be even more important to not need to feed hay. Unless you don't care if it is very profitable. Or you could just lease a place or two and put most of the money away. Lots of options depending on how much you want to hang on to. If you want the money to grow there are probably lots of less risky places to put it other than cattle and land at this place in the cycle. F W I W.

C Thompson said:
If you are serious about ranching you should look for a place that you won't need to feed hay. you could buy a pretty nice place for about half your money that would run quite a few stockers and still have the other half to invest in blue chip stocks. If you are addicted to cows and need to go cow calf you might need to spend more of the five to buy a ranch and it would be even more important to not need to feed hay. Unless you don't care if it is very profitable. Or you could just lease a place or two and put most of the money away. Lots of options depending on how much you want to hang on to. If you want the money to grow there are probably lots of less risky places to put it other than cattle and land at this place in the cycle. F W I W.

Around our area you can buy almost as cheap as you can lease. Especially if you had that kind of cash to put down. Then you don't have to kiss anybody's arse all the time to keep them from taking your lease away.

Finding an area where you can graze cattle for the majority of the year is a big key.

Latest posts