• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What would your advice be? Spray or not to spray...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
I think we will find out the PH in the soil. However, the alfalfa is already planted, as I mentioned in my first post. This was a field that was in CRP
since 1987. It came out 3-4 years ago and that's when we worked it up.
There was still alfalfa in it, more than one would think. We just hope to
get it back to hay.

Thanks for all your replies. We are considering what to do going forward.
Definitely some good information here.

That CRP type ground that still has alfalfa in it is what I would like to try and spray the grass out and not disturb the soil or alfalfa. :)

PureCountry said:
lefty said:
I would find out your PH level first , 6.5or better for alfalfa . is important & potash. if its low I would spread Pell lime on it , It might take all summer for the little alfalfa plants to get a root in the ground & grow . If it wont make a hay crop I would just clip the field with a mower just before the weeds seed out & let the rest grow .

We've had alfalfa establish with a pH of 5.2, but I agree 100%, 6.5 is optimal.

FH, if you're land is gumbo that hardens like that, it is most likely high in magnesium, or at least the Calcium to Mg ratio is out of wack in favor of the Mg. The alfalfa can help over time with that, but if you take hay off of it year after year without putting on some type of Calcium and other nutrients it will not improve. I'd try spraying on a foliar mix. These products are all powder or liquids that you mix in 10-20 gallons of water per acre:
GSR Calcium - 150grams
Soft Rock phosphate - most brands will do - 1.5-2 lbs
Sugar-any kind - 1lb
Compost tea - 1-2 gallons
Liquid fish - 1-2 gallons

A treatment like this did a lot of good for our alfalfa. It cost $36/acre for the products. Might be worth a try.

How often do you apply this? Mr. FH is interested in trying what you recommended--providing we can find the ingredients.

Latest posts