• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's a guarantee worth?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LCP

Reaction score
We're in the thick of bull sale season, and this topic came up the other day. Some guys do a 100% 1st breeding season guarantee, some do some sort of partial first season guarantee, some just say they are guaranteed breeders. The Pinebank outfit in New Zeland gives a 4 year guarantee on feet and legs. I read an ad, forget who it was but it was in the US, that offered a 3 yr guarantee on feet and legs.
So what is a guarantee worth to you (assuming it is followed through on)? Is a 100% first yr guarantee worth an extra bid at the sale?

I am not sure. Looking back, I can't remember any yearlings that got hurt bad enough to collect on a warranty. Had some home raised ones that got lame, but the warranty wasn't any good on those ;) Seems like yearlings don't get hurt as much as the older bulls, who are doing most of the fighting. If a yearling gets hurt fighting, is it really the breeder's fault anyway?

That being said, I think the integrity of the breeder is probably more important. For example, I bought a bull from LaGrand Scotch Cap (a little plug for them here since they treated me right) last year. I used him to clean up on heifers last summer. One day this last winter I saw him standing on the cement by the water tank and noticed his back toes were growing out and would be a problem. LaGrand's has a good guarantee for the first breeding season, so I figured they weren't obligated to replace him since it was well past breeding season, but they gave me full credit anyhow. I didn't even have to ask for it - just told them what the deal was and they took care of it. No hassles. I like doing business with folks like that - who stand behind their cattle and take care of their customers regardless of the guarantee.

I had 10 new yearling bulls, 9 were insured and 1 wasn't. The one that wasn't insured broke a leg before breeding season. I got a $500 dollar credit to their next bull sale. I didn't expect anything they just ask me how I liked the bull and I told them i never got to use him. I have bought at least 1 bull a year from them ever since.
I had bought a bull that didn't breed a hfr. I got called a liar ect. Finally I got a couple of hfrs and a bit of cash back from them after I hauled him to the vets and back to them. :? Never bought another bull from them.

We have collected on insurance on one bull over the years, usually only put it on a yearling for the first year.

I understand being low cost but if there is no guarantee that leads me to believe the person doesn't believe in his or her own product. I think a certain level of pride should kick in and you would want to stand behind your product.

I want a seed stock producer to sell me a bull that will breed cows. I kinda figure if he breaks his leg fighting, that's my problem. If he comes up lame, we both share a little blame as we run in rough country and maybe the bull had issues too. If his holster, gun or bullets malfunctions it's on the producer. One of the reasons we keep buying bulls year after year from the same outfits, is because they take care of us. It's a good partnership......we buy their bulls and they buy us lunch! :D

LCP said:
I read an ad, forget who it was but it was in the US, that offered a 3 yr guarantee on feet and legs.

Fink is the one who has the 3 year guarantee now. I think it even covers semen but I'm not positive on that.

I've always thought about doing some business with Galen but never have. He will custom breed bulls for you if you place the order.

I read in a "Law Book" years ago that a "Guarantee" is JUST THAT and can leave the Grantor open to Medical Bills and more - Far beyond the cost of the Item/Animal.

"Warrantee's" can and do have Limits.

I use to Warrantee the Sale of Puppy's and Dogs for Hips/Eyes/Genetics and to Work...

Said Warrantee was Limited to Cost or Replacement

One Male Dog had a Retained Testicle that "I" found on it @ 1 Year of Age...
We/I offered them a New Pup or Their Purchase Price Back on the return of the Puppy
We were sued in Small Claim's for $5000/the pup/a new Pup and more +
(((They Lost)))

I called the ASCA Registry and had the Puppies Papers Pulled to (Pet Only)

I did "Research" and found where the defect came from - then did away with the "Champion Bitch"...
That was HARD but your "A Breeder or A Collector:!:" :( :(

OldDog/NewTricks said:
I read in a "Law Book" years ago that a "Guarantee" is JUST THAT and can leave the Grantor open to Medical Bills and more - Far beyond the cost of the Item/Animal.

"Warrantee's" can and do have Limits.

I use to Warrantee the Sale of Puppy's and Dogs for Hips/Eyes/Genetics and to Work...

Said Warrantee was Limited to Cost or Replacement

One Male Dog had a Retained Testicle that "I" found on it @ 1 Year of Age...
We/I offered them a New Pup or Their Purchase Price Back on the return of the Puppy
We were sued in Small Claim's for $5000/the pup/a new Pup and more +
(((They Lost)))

I called the ASCA Registry and had the Puppies Papers Pulled to (Pet Only)

I did "Research" and found where the defect came from - then did away with the "Champion Bitch"...
That was HARD but your "A Breeder or A Collector:!:" :( :(

Neat topic. We have a issue with a Embryo cattle salemen selling live bull calves. Who is responsible with bovine with no male reporductive tracs
The breeder of the bloodines or the guy selling eggs and calves from matings that doe not own cattle himself ???? Its a internet sale..??

Latest posts