• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's an old pickup worth?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Thinking about getting rid of a 1969 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup with 46,000 actual miles on it that we've had since new. Mostly sat inside with a tank loaded on it, has a few "farmer" dents. How would you go about setting a price on something like that? Is it collectible?

Cal said:
Thinking about getting rid of a 1969 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup with 46,000 actual miles on it that we've had since new. Mostly sat inside with a tank loaded on it, has a few "farmer" dents. How would you go about setting a price on something like that? Is it collectible?

Get yourself an Autotrader or similar magazine..perhaps even an online autotrader may help

good luck

I have a brother in law, that has sold and bought trucks on Ebay. He seemed happy with the experience. I believe you can place a reserve bid.

69 - 72 are extremely HOT items now days. Depending on the shape it's in. but with only 46,000 original miles I'd think that'd be a big plus. What size engine does it have.
My mom bought my dad a 69 for christmas in 69...was handed down to me when I got my drivers lisence. OMG I loved that truck. My brother has it now...but I've looked and looked and finally found a 72 last spring to restore. They go anywhere from 1200 up to 20,000 on ebay...but they are also one of the most affordable trucks to restore because chevy has given up the patents and there are now other companies that make replacement body parts. original 396 motors are hard to find and worth quite a bit. i'd do some checkin around...or keep it and restore it , heck with only 46,000 miles on it..it can't be in too bad a shape..good luck

Cal, we might be interested!!!! Are you getting snow? Our oldest is suppost ot go to Mitchell to compete in the science fair there... This weather is nice. but might mess up his chance to go... Bummer :cry:

Interesting that Jersey Lily assumed your pickup was a Chevy, while I automatically thought it was a FORD!! LOL!!

What kind is it?

Run an ad in your local paper or shopper and put it out for bid. Do a little homework and check out what they are going for. Have a minimum bid and reserve the right to refuse any and all bids. See what you get. You will probably get a BIG nice suprise!!~and a lot of fun besides!!!

lol is interestin.....haha I read it n never gave it a thought..I seen '69 and assumed it was a chevy...guess cuz for so many years...the 69 in our family was the chevy..hehehehe...
Yeah..what kind is it...Chevy or Ford??? enquiring minds wanna know....

Cal said:

You must not live where it snows! A 4x4 is a valuable commodity around here lately. Bring it up to snowy Saskatchewan, you'll get a mint for it right now! I don't know what we'd do without our rusty but trusty '77 Ford 4x4. It's the only vehicle we own that has been moving lately.

What is an old pick up worth?
To me mine is worth as much as it will cost me to do the same job without it. Folks say " why don't you sell that old truck?"
I tell them that I could not replace it for near what I would get for it and it workes just fine for feeding cows and building fence. So what if it ain't got no AC and no paint much and windshield is cracked and the muffler was long ago replaced with part of an old tube gate and a coat hanger. And what is wrong with uesing a boat cushon for a seat cover. You never know when you may have to swim for it. By the way the dog is trained to ride laying over the hole in the bed to keep stuff from falling out. Now who wants to retrain a dog?
No sir. If it runs good and gets the job done keep her it's cheaper. Sort of like a wife.

It's a Chevy, can't believe I left that out. 350 and 4 speed. Has never had anything major done to it besides maintenance. Thanks for all the input.

Cal said:
It's a Chevy, can't believe I left that out. 350 and 4 speed. Has never had anything major done to it besides maintenance. Thanks for all the input.

I bid $100.00 cash

Cal, 'bout 5K. Those 67 - 72 chevs are hot. If the dents are few, a good home cleanup would raise the value to 6K to 8K. Go on ebay and you won't find anything like what you have. Ya always hear bout that old pickup some rancher pissed off, don't be that guy.

Denny said:
Cal said:

I bid $100.00 cash

i'll see your bid, denny, and raise ya double!! my 17 year old would give his right arm for an old truck for him to use around town (and the ranch) and to pick up girls :wink: :wink: he says "chicks dig old trucks that ya put some love and work into" :? whadda i know, though...i'm just "mom" :D

ranchwife said:
Denny said:
Cal said:

I bid $100.00 cash

i'll see your bid, denny, and raise ya double!! my 17 year old would give his right arm for an old truck for him to use around town (and the ranch) and to pick up girls :wink: :wink: he says "chicks dig old trucks that ya put some love and work into" :? whadda i know, though...i'm just "mom" :D

$500.00 now you've been outbid but you have herd that song I'm a pickup man or chicks dig it LOTS of TRUTH.

Cal, realizing there is a world if difference between your old low miles treasure and a wrecked '98 Dodge dually, we put an ad for our pickup in the Green Sheet and while we didn't keep track, I'm reasonably certain we got at least 40+ replies.

We started getting calls the day the ad came out, and finally sold it a couple of weeks later. Many were hoping for a restorable cab. Not to be..... after a run-away, and crashing into a 6' deep creek channel with a loaded caker behind the cab! We didn't want to cut it up, either, and got a buyer who came and hauled the whole thing away. We may have priced it a bit low at $4200.00.

Good Luck!

MRJ

Soapweed said:
My son wants to know if you'd be interested in trading for a 1973 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. :wink:

Soapweed, your son needs a good old pickup to go ALONG with his Coupe DeVille. Multi-vehicle insurance discount. :wink:

the hubby would much rather have an older (50's, 60's, 70's) truck than the 2000 dodge ram he has now...cannot even begin to tell you how many times i have heard him cussin that damned truck!! for all the money they cost nowadays, you think they'd learn how to make them right!! :wink:

Well my daughter just called she passed her driving test.See I bought a NICE 1984 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 for her last fall but I have been driving it since.You know to see if its dependable well now she wants the keys back.Guess I will have to fix my 84 Ford it is in getting a heart transplant,new brakes and some u-joints.So now my daughter can drive herself around,scarey I have another daughter getting hers in august.Here comes my gray Hair..

Latest posts