• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's in snow that makes cows stupid?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Swede

Reaction score
I took several chemistry classes in school but there must be something besides Hydrogen and Oxygen in water. When it is cold enough to turn to snow some stupid dust must mix in there. Most days after snow are spent fixing screw ups. A shot of Ace and some magic dust(Orphan-no-More) usually fixes all mismatches.

Anyone else have these problems, or is it just me.

Not to many snow problems since we started calving after the snow is no more. We are quite dry here in Southern Alberta, I think you get more snow than we do.

Kinda like a reformed smoker. Hard to go back after you quit. The dig probably wasn't necessary though. My apologies Big Swede. :wink:

With the storm that's coming it looks like we're in for a couple of long days and nights and even more stupidity. Oh well, you gotta love it or we wouldn't do it.

That May and June calving looks better all the time.

tlakota said:
who is ready for this winter storm coming over the midwest tommorrow and friday?

Sounds like what we call an annual "South Dakota calf killer" storm....Luckily it sounds like its going south of us up here (like these usually do)- altho they are predicting a slight chance of rain and snow tonight and tomorrow...

We had a good little shower last night- but it only lasted about 20 minutes- enough to make mud stick to your feet this morning- but its all dryed up now....

SDZ026>032-041>044-046-047-049-072>074-091645-
/O.CON.KUNR.WS.A.0005.080410T1200Z-080411T1200Z/
RAPID CITY-SOUTHERN FOOT HILLS-CENTRAL BLACK HILLS-
SOUTHERN BLACK HILLS-CUSTER CO PLAINS-PENNINGTON CO PLAINS-HAAKON-
FALL RIVER-SHANNON-JACKSON-BENNETT-MELLETTE-TODD-TRIPP-
STURGIS/PIEDMONT FOOT HILLS-SOUTHERN MEADE CO PLAINS-
HERMOSA FOOT HILLS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RAPID CITY...HOT SPRINGS...HILL CITY...
MT RUSHMORE...CUSTER...FOLSOM...WALL...PHILIP...EDGEMONT...
PINE RIDGE...KYLE...KADOKA...MARTIN...WHITE RIVER...MISSION...
WINNER...STURGIS...UNION CENTER...HERMOSA
237 AM MDT WED APR 9 2008 /337 AM CDT WED APR 9 2008/

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING
THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING
THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

A POWERFUL UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM WILL BRING RAIN AND SNOW TO
THE REGION TODAY. THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW LATE
TONIGHT AND THURSDAY. SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES... IS EXPECTED TO
CONTINUE THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT...DIMINISHING EARLY FRIDAY. THIS
STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW
ACCUMULATION TO THE AREA.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS...FREEZING
PRECIPITATION...AND COLD TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE...BUT THE
TIMING OR TRACK OF THE STORM IS STILL UNCERTAIN. STAY TUNED TO
NOAA WEATHER RADIO...LOCAL RADIO OR TELEVISION...OR CABLE TV FOR
UPDATES ON THIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS STORM. TAKE TIME TO PREPARE
FOR SEVERE WINTER CONDITIONS BEFORE THE STORM DEVELOPS.

Big Swede, you're too young to remember the late sixties...they don't call it 'acid rain' for nothing!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well- no snow up here yet-- but it did rain or drizzle all night (only about 2/10ths of an inch so far) and it is still misty out there this morning....Stayed about 40 degrees all night- and no wind now...

Radar looks like we won't get much more as its moving east...Supposed to be in the 70's this weekend which should really green things up...

What OT??? You didn't get anything? The dopplar showed it that you were getting it pretty good. Then again it also shows verga as rain too. :roll:

:roll: Rain is just Southwest of us now. Rain turning to snow overnight and we're supposed to get 4 to 8 inches. Don't need this in the middle of calving. Good thing is frost is gone and moisture is going down and not running off. :D

I Luv Herfrds said:
What OT??? You didn't get anything? The dopplar showed it that you were getting it pretty good. Then again it also shows verga as rain too. :roll:

Not much- ended up with about a 1/4 of an inch of nice slow rain- both down here on the river and at the north place....

Clouds are breaking up now- and the sun is out- which the 2 little calves I had come in the rain last night will enjoy...

Latest posts