• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's it take?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

flyingS

Reaction score
What does it take to build a ranching business or to stay in the ranching business? Those of you who feel you are successful at either share your experiences. I have always felt that in order to be succesful you need to follow the example of someone who is succesful.

like buying a new car..money..
how u drive,maintain,operate that car determines your success.
it could take generations to build up a good ranch or u could marry into one.inheritance and experience helps.

a good wife with a good job with life insurance and benefits would help.

In my opinion, around here those who stick with one aspect of ranching are the most successful. Stick with just a cow/calf operation or just a yearling operation or just pasture cattle. It seems like those who "dabble" in a little of everything spread themselves and their assets too thin and fold pretty fast. Hope that makes sense! Good luck to ya!

I hear there is some Indian ground that is going to be available in the near future, not to far from us. I don't have the guts to try it, but you might.

I haven't gotten my loin cloth and head dress out yet. There are lots of issues on that place and at that size not sure if I want to take them on. I hear they are going to make it so you have to pay the maintance, that alone would be a deal breaker.

I don't know how they can make a person pay for all the maintenance there. Its going to take a whole bunch of it, from what I saw the one and only time I was there.

It would be interesting to get a bid sheet on it, and find out all the particulars, but it would take alot more guts then I have to jump into it.

saw a young man that owned a couple hundred head of cows rent, then buy a place sell it .then leavage into a bigger one sold it the got a morgate on 15,000 acres that also had another 40,000BLM. he sold a concervatin easment on his deed ground and paid off his morgate got himself a 600 head place with no deibt and he not even 40 years old yet.

jodywy said:
saw a young man that owned a couple hundred head of cows rent, then buy a place sell it .then leavage into a bigger one sold it the got a morgate on 15,000 acres that also had another 40,000BLM. he sold a concervatin easment on his deed ground and paid off his morgate got himself a 600 head place with no deibt and he not even 40 years old yet.

does the poor young fellow that started out with a couple hundred head of cattlle own a horse,,or is he one of those new suit and tie cowboys?gonna write me a poem about the new suit and tie cowboy.the new younger generations are getting pretty savvy with their investments.

Unfortunately, the suit and tie cowboys have a lot better start on reaching the dream than the ranch hands. Just the sad truth of it, even though the hands deserve a shot at it too.

I was hoping that I would recieve some other response than the obvious. If I had money, married into a ranch or inheritted it, I wouldn't have asked this question. Obviously the lottery would help too or maybe Ted Turner will start a young rancher program just to see if you can really start from scratch. Jody the young man that knew how to invest his money is an interesting story, where did he get the 200 hd of cows.

balestabber said:
jodywy said:

does the poor young fellow that started out with a couple hundred head of cattlle own a horse,,or is he one of those new suit and tie cowboys?gonna write me a poem about the new suit and tie cowboy.the new younger generations are getting pretty savvy with their investments.
he came from a ranching family and had most the cow by the time he left the family place, so that a great start for anybody.

meant no offence folks,,but i have seen alot of the younger generations
use their heads instead of blood and sweat and get ahead.and many have become successful.i think to start a NEW ranch from scatch can be a life style or an investment.

we have a family farm of which i will inherit some of maybe,but i have made some wrong decisions and find it hard to [start over] without a debt.

I have a small handful of cows that I run on the side and their care is in the hands of a buddy of mine. I hope to grow those few cows into a cow-calf enterprise but do not have delusions of buying a ranch to run them on. I'll have to find another partner to take cows in when I quickly outgrow my buddy's generosity and capacity. Will likely always have to keep a day job like the one I've got to make a living and keep the family fed and insured. Definately not a suit and tie deal, I'll tell you that! Would need a lot better paycheck to stand the choking sensation of the suit and tie. :wink:

FH answered your question quite well FlyingS. She and Mr. FH started with a goal in mind and got there. :wink:

We haven't reached ours yet but it is in sight. :D

Sacrifice is probably the biggest hurdle to get where you are wanting to go. The kids usually feel it the most. If you are serious about building your own outfit there isn't a lot of money to pay for the things you want for a long time. Most dollars are spent on what you need.

If you have money, you don't need time. The reverse is also true and a much steeper stairway to climb.

Don't ever let anyone tell you it can't be done because there are a few of us that have done it. :wink:

Vision and Tenacity. My Dad impressed on me to always look after your core business first but don't be afraid to branch out. Nothing saying you can't have multiple streams of income while you enjoy your ranching.

some of the best examples of start-up bootstrap cattle business are illustrated in the Stockman Grass Farmer paper and books by editor Alan Nation. also look to the old boys who settled the area and learn what you can from them, Grandad wouldn't borrow money for anything but cattle or land, unfotunatly I didn't learn that lesson till later :lol: :lol:

or you can do it the old-fashioned way Marry it or inherit it :wink:

Latest posts