• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Warmer and dry. It is warm enough in the morning that we aren't getting frost. Yesterday was was spraying weeds along the driveway. I was below the driveway in some rocks spraying white top and thistles. I noticed something slithering in the rocks. Not a good color design on its back. Turned out to be two bull snakes. But as the wife said if the bull snakes are out so are the rattlers. A good cold snap right now wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Big freeze warning here this morning. Almost 5 AM and 32 degrees so I am not too worried. It will no doubt drop some by 6 AM, but not enough for concern. It amazing that yesterday was 20 degrees cooler than the day before. I noticed how poorly the grass looked on Horse Heavens yesterday on a road trip over to Eastern Washington. Not the green that is usually seen by mid-April. Not as many cows per square miles as usually seen this time of year. Cell phone photos with the car moving at 75 MPH.
IMG_5244.jpg
IMG_5246.jpg

31 here in West Central Texas.We got up to 97 just 10 days ago or so.The good rainy days we were supposed to have a week ago gave us less than half an inch over 4 days.That puts us at a whopping 3 inch total since last August.I've heard of some big herds going to sale from further out West of hear.Davis Mountains area.The Northern Hill Country is gathering head numbers right now.They have had good rains over the last year and their pastures are looking great.I'm already hustling,wheeling and dealing,to get enough hay hay to make it to this time of year next year.

Warm and dry. It seems to have stopped freezing at night. The best grass in the valley is along side my driveway. And the wife's flowers have started to bloom.

Attachments

• P4212505.JPG
    P4212505.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 17
  • P4212506.JPG
    P4212506.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 18
Beautiful! It will be quite awhile before we have blooming flowers here. We wait a long time. It was cold here yesterday. Breeze from the SE. Supposed to get 59 here today then 39 tomorrow as another cold front comes in. Rain is in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow and again for next week and that is always welcome. Hay is getting short.

We just can't quite get warm weather kicked off. Warm season grasses came out, but just haven't done anything. We really need consistent night temps in the 60's to get growth with our predominant species and it's just not happening. Normally can't keep up with grass by this time of year, but right now I'm badly overstocked and looks like it will be that way for a while.

We got a little shot of rain late in the day yesterday. It must have rained over the night from the looks of things. Grass in the hills was wanting to grow. This little shot of rain could make it jump.

I walked around on the place a good bit yesterday looking for a newborn and I'm wondering to myself what they are eating.It's getting serious very quick here.I'm praying that the weatherman is going to get it right for Wednesday and Thursday.

Three years here and I have turned into a wimp. It rained Saturday evening, off and on all day Sunday, and it rained last night. This morning it was 40 degrees. Damp cold. 15/20 and dry isn't nearly as cold as this damp cold. 60+ years in western Washington you would think I would be accustom to the damp cold but I got over that pretty quick.

I've always said "I hope I live somewhere that I could truthfully say "I wish it would stop raining."
After reading your post webfoot, maybe I will change my mind. 😀
One winter in the mid 90's it rained 60 inches in 120 days. It rained on 90 of those days. There was never the big gully washer. Just always wet. No big flood but the river was either sitting at the top of banks or just over the top.
In 20+ years of falling timber there were countless days of pulling up on the job site at the crack of dawn. Pouring down rain and 36 degrees. Nothing to do but lace up the corked shoes and pull on the rain gear. Today is going to be another fun day.

Back about 2009 I was at the "Real Ranch Horses Sale" by Billings. I got to talking to a man from Shoshoni Wy. We compared winter weather wear. I owned 5 sets of rain gear, he had none. He had 4 (?)pairs of insulated coveralls, I had none of those.

Latest posts