• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It rained here all night. Nice steady rain. A bucket I had upside down with a 1/4" lip was full so at least a quarter inch. No wind this morning which is great because usually, we get winds after rains that dries the ground out.

Last edited:
Well it's a fine sunny Sunday. The temp just hit 103 F. It's too dang hot for June. I may burst into flames
Ugh, 97 here. The sprinkle was enough to keep us from baling. So hauled hay, took a nap and caught the end of a cowdog trial. Fun to watch but would have been nice to know what they were supposed to be doing. Much better than working in the heat!

I went to the USFS website Friday and found the email address for the district supervisor so I could send en email pleading for them to enact immediate fire restrictions. Their own damn site for the Spanish Fork ranger district show fire danger as LOW!!!!!!!🤬
These idiots managing public lands have NO CLUE!!!!! I sent a scathing email and I doubt I will even get a reply. The desert ranges are tinder dry and the US Forest Service thinks it's fine for city folks to have campfires??? What complete ineptitude!!! I firmly believe they want it to burn because it destroys ranchers and benefits their paid firefighters. To them it's a win-win.

A pleasant 95 here. Changed the irrigation first thing this morning. Went to church, got home and turned on the AC. There was 4 cows in my driveway when I got home. Same 4 cows were here yesterday and the dogs spotted them and chased them out of the driveway and down the road. Dogs aren't suppose to go down the road or chase cows without being told. So before I turned the dogs out of their kennel I hopped on my quad and I chased the cows down the road.
I drove by that dog trial yesterday. But they held several of them last year at Berts. So I have seen them before. I just kept driving. I had been up above Sumpter searching for a pole patch. I pretty much cleaned out the one I had been cutting at. I need another 100 poles to finish up the corral.

A pleasant 95 here. Changed the irrigation first thing this morning. Went to church, got home and turned on the AC. There was 4 cows in my driveway when I got home. Same 4 cows were here yesterday and the dogs spotted them and chased them out of the driveway and down the road. Dogs aren't suppose to go down the road or chase cows without being told. So before I turned the dogs out of their kennel I hopped on my quad and I chased the cows down the road.
I drove by that dog trial yesterday. But they held several of them last year at Berts. So I have seen them before. I just kept driving. I had been up above Sumpter searching for a pole patch. I pretty much cleaned out the one I had been cutting at. I need another 100 poles to finish up the corral.
Let me know if have any at Bert's this year.

I went to the USFS website Friday and found the email address for the district supervisor so I could send en email pleading for them to enact immediate fire restrictions. Their own damn site for the Spanish Fork ranger district show fire danger as LOW!!!!!!!🤬
These idiots managing public lands have NO CLUE!!!!! I sent a scathing email and I doubt I will even get a reply. The desert ranges are tinder dry and the US Forest Service thinks it's fine for city folks to have campfires??? What complete ineptitude!!! I firmly believe they want it to burn because it destroys ranchers and benefits their paid firefighters. To them it's a win-win.
Crazy isn't it?! Most here are still at low, saw one at moderate. Told Mike it must be because all the grass is ate.

Ugh, 97 here. The sprinkle was enough to keep us from baling. So hauled hay, took a nap and caught the end of a cowdog trial. Fun to watch but would have been nice to know what they were supposed to be doing. Much better than working in the heat!
Absolutely! Did you ever go watch the cow and sheepdog trials that ranch up Beaver Creek Rd used to sponsor?

86 the high predicted here today with mild breeze and sun all day. They are hoping to cut the 2nd on the nearby alfalfa field, but as of yesterday, there was still water in the wheel line ruts from the rain and last watering.

A veterinarian friend says that the last snake I saw was a gopher snake also more commonly called a bullsnake. She had never heard them called a racer and said the ag guy that told me that must have been a Portland suburb Democrat hahaha! I had never seen a bullsnake with that coloring and pattern before so I assumed this ag guy knew his snakes. I can't believe I fell victim to serpent liberalism.

I am still hoping for rain for all the drought areas that have no irrigation or irrigation has been shut off. Drought is nothing new for ranch families, but when ranchers have to fight politicians and scam profiteers to keep their heads above the "dust" (above water no longer applies), the future looks grim.

I am always reminded when one of my great uncles would fret about the drought and my great auntie would say, "You must just have faith, Roy," and he would say "I did have faith in the rich topsoil the good Lord provided me and now the wind has just blown it away and I am staring at a rocky useless field." She always had an answer, "Well, maybe the good Lord wants you to go back to school and become a geologist."

I wondered about that snake. We call them bull snakes. I see lots of them. Probably see 20 of them for every rattler. They are different but close enough to color pattern of a rattler that they will make a person jump a little.

5938C2FB-E2D2-491F-8ED7-6A68DB12A722.jpeg

I give up.

I'm getting a second cutting on my oats today and going to get my 1st cutting on some heavy fertilized Coastal Bermuda.Hope to get a second cutting in late September or early October before the 1st freeze gets it.That is if I get some more rains on it.

Good luck! It didn't cool off there ti early morning and is to get to 106 today!! Then it looks like it will be cooler. This country can't stand that kind of heat. Especially this early. Looks like some rain on Thursday June 24th maybe. That's pretty far out, but will give us hope. Stay cool everyone. 60 degrees here now but the air feels cool....til about 10 am. Will be 75 at midnight tonight. Then 87 tomorrow.

74 predicted for the high today. Now 60 at 0525 and very still with strange glow and dark clouds that are illuminated on one side. 15% chance of rain they say. The neighborhood owl is extra vocal, so something is brewing. The crows are also extra loud and everywhere making me glad I am not a corn farmer.

It has the making of a thunderstorm but I wouldn't bet my last bale of hay on it. They had the wheelline back on in the alfalfa field yesterday. I was surprised because it is the tallest I have ever seen alfalfa.

The local hay talk is that instead of gambling on a worthwhile 4th cutting, they are going for a maximum yield in the next two cutting. With the shortage of hay, they will get the same price per ton, even though it may be a grade lower. High temperatures and no precipitation predicted for next week will be perfect for haying. Current talk is trying to produce as much tonnage as possible, with the least gamble, hoping to help areas that will be glad to get hay, even low quality.

Last edited:
They are saying upper 70's here today and tomorrow. But back up to the 90's on Friday and for about 5 days. There is nothing about my Swedish ancestry or being raised on the north Washington coast that prepares me for hot weather. I am already wanting some frosty fall mornings.
I am keeping the water poured to the hay. I don't think I am getting much more growth but I am keeping it green until Bert is going to cut it. I talked to a guy at the sale on Thursday. He said there is lots of left over last year hay in stacks in the Columbia Basin. On the other side I hear from a man down in Burns who said the custom hay guy was ready anytime. The wild sub irrigated grass hay they normally put up about now just isn't there. Going to be an interesting year.

They are saying upper 70's here today and tomorrow. But back up to the 90's on Friday and for about 5 days. There is nothing about my Swedish ancestry or being raised on the north Washington coast that prepares me for hot weather. I am already wanting some frosty fall mornings.
I am keeping the water poured to the hay. I don't think I am getting much more growth but I am keeping it green until Bert is going to cut it. I talked to a guy at the sale on Thursday. He said there is lots of left over last year hay in stacks in the Columbia Basin. On the other side I hear from a man down in Burns who said the custom hay guy was ready anytime. The wild sub irrigated grass hay they normally put up about now just isn't there. Going to be an interesting year.
The guy at the sale is correct. There are several leftover haystacks in the lower Columbia Basin and a few are disappearing as the ranchers see their 2nd cutting looking good. All the stacks I know of were held as a last resort because they had rain damage and are very stemmy. They have buyers for this hay at $150-$175 a ton and the hay buyers do all the loading and trucking. I have a feeling it will be heading out to Eastern Montana and Wyoming. Here is a last year's stack I walked by this morning. I don't see much value left here and maybe the reason it is still there. One broken open bail shows white mold.

7XmjStyWA3ui.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts