• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

How much did you get 'H? We got about a .10, settled the dust (briefly), made it smell good and we slept better hearing rain.
As my Grandpa used to say, a dust settler is better than a kick in the pants with a sharp-toed boot.

It was 91 by noon and 99 now at 3:20. Some guys from church were having a fishing get together with a fish fry at 2:00 today down on the Snake River by Huntington. Too hot to sit in a boat fishing catfish. And too hot for a picnic. Decide to stay home and watch the hay dry. Sort of like watching paint dry except it smells better.

A Norther came in last night.Dropped temps and a little moisture.High for today is 91.Then we are in for low 80's for a few days and more chances for rain.Cows will love it.All cows are supposed to calf by July 12th at the latest.Going to pull bulls around September 1st this year instead of when I did last year, September 21st.The heat just puts too much stress on the newborns.

Alert forecast issued today. The month of July will be hot with daytime in the 90s or above and no rain in sight for the entire month. So far irrigation sources, reservoirs, and the river seem to be holding up, but the increased demand will no doubt create an issue for many with lower rights. Prepare for severe drought conditions the alert said.

110 at 3:30 PM and even with the breeze and in the shade it is hot.

Last edited:
So one of our customers told me this yesterday. Call it an old wives tale, whatever.
Some relative of his, on Jan. 6 of each year, cuts 6 onions in half and makes a bowl out of the 12 onion halves;
each bowl represents a month. She puts 2 tsp of salt in each onion bowl and leaves them all night. The next morning s
she checks to see which ones have moisture. Jan-June were all dry. July-Aug-Sept were wet. She says it has been
pretty accurate in the past, so I guess we will see how it is for July-Aug-Sept. I will say we have been getting some showers finally; not a widespread rain, but nice showers. At least it makes a person feel better.
Anyway, I did an online search and found this, in case you are interested:

106 at noon with 114 predicted. Just top watered my plants and misted the ones in the shade. I was thinking of trying to go to the Haines Stampede cowboy breakfast, parade, and rodeo on the 4th, but it is just too hot for me to be outdoors.

Last edited:
It is 102 on our deck in the shade. The AC is in the north east corner of the house. The back porch/laundry room in the south west corner. The AC has been running steady since about 7:30. It is 79 in the back porch. It is 77 in the living room not 10 feet from the AC. Nothing moving outside. It is too hot for man or beast.

Been getting scattered cloud bursts here and there.Rain totals are very spotty.I'm not getting rain where it is needed yet.We have another 5 days of this type of precip so I've got my fingers crossed.

I was peacefully laying in bed. Suddenly it sounds like someone is landing a plane on our house. The sound just keeps on. I get up and look. The wife had said she was going to mow the lawn early. She was doing that at 5:00. It is about 60 degrees outside and still over 70 in the house. She had opened every window in the house to try and get cool air in and then circled the house with the lawn mower.
It is supposed to hit 105-106 today.

They upped it to 119 here today and currently 78 at 6 AM, the lowest it has been all morning. I was going to mow at 6 AM but I think that would be a mistake. The higher grass will keep the moisture in better.

Last edited:

Latest posts