• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It was so smoky yesterday we couldn't see the mountains. Hot, dusty day shipping the neighbor's yearlings.
Where is the fire? I am sure not looking forward to the smoke and dust we had last year. So far only one day of light smoke here and I think it blew up from central Oregon. Last year I had to use a wet towel around my face just to go outside for a few minutes.

It is that "Bootleg" fire down by Beatty/Sprague River. It was 40,000 acres two days ago. Now it is over 150,000 acres and growing. There is another big one in northern California adding to the smoke.

Last edited:
Smoke from those same fires has covered us up as well. My eyes and sinuses are hurting from the smoke. Crazy how the smoke can be this thick as far away from y'all as we are. And we have cooled off a bunch today. Only 107 today. About needed a coat

The smoke is pretty heavy today. Can't see Lookout or little Lookout from here. Barely see Iron Mountain and that is pretty close. Coming into Baker the Elkhorns were hiding in the smoke.

The Bootleg fire is now listed at about 202,000 acres. It grew 50,000 acres yesterday. Single digit humidity and triple digit temperatures are helping it grow. And the weather has no relief in sight. It is running east a few miles north of Hwy 140. It looks to be about 22 miles southwest of Paisley.

We managed to get half and inch of rain today and I wasn't home to enjoy it. 😥 But sure glad to see some puddles.
I was just going to say it is raining somewhere in Wyoming. Casper rodeo is on the Cowboy Channel. That arena is a sloppy mud hole. The wife said it either rained or the water truck guy went berserk.

Shoot, we were watching Gunsmoke (can you believe that?) and missed it. I'll see if it is on later and I'll record it.
It's usually a good rodeo. Sheridan WY rodeo is here this week. We used to go, don't go any more. It's mostly a packed grandstand and a bunch of loud drunk spectators. They do have the Indian Relay Races, which are good. And we like the rodeo, just not all the people. It kicked off today with slack and will go steady all week. I got groceries today so I wouldn't have to go in during the mad rush. It was bad enough in town today. Sheridan wasn't set up for a lot of traffic. They just changed main street from 4 lanes to two, which was a good idea because with 4, if you parked downtown, you took your life in your hands to open the car door, especially if you are old. Then so many streets are not through streets and you never know til you get on one of those. To get off the 1-90 off ramp today, traffic was piled up clear back to the interstate. It truly is a mess.

A little kid 5 years old got ran over in town yesterday. People drive crazy. He survived it, luckily.

Last edited:
We have a light layer of smoke this morning. It won't be long before it builds and gets stagnated. I woke up with burning eyes. Another triple-digit day forecast for here and low this AM was 74. AQI in Pendleton is a yellow flag with heavy smoke moving over Cabbage hill and settling in the basin and moving this way.

I see where the Oregon fires and drought are blamed on climate change. This makes me believe that the Oklahoma dust bowl of old was also climate change and caused by the belching and farting stampeding bison being terrified by a few male Indians with spears on horseback. Totally unnecessary behavior, but boys will be boys. SIGH!

How those brave recreational hunters survived all that methane is still a mystery. The dust bowl could have been avoided if the Cheif had just sent a few women to the trading post to buy their meat that was harvested without harming animals.

Last edited:
We have a light layer of smoke this morning. It won't be long before it builds and gets stagnated. I woke up with burning eyes. Another triple-digit day forecast for here and low this AM was 74. AQI in Pendleton is a yellow flag with heavy smoke moving over Cabbage hill and settling in the basin and moving this way.

I see where the Oregon fires and drought are blamed on climate change. This makes me believe that the Oklahoma dust bowl of old was also climate change and caused by the belching and farting stampeding bison being terrified by a few male Indians with spears on horseback. Totally unnecessary behavior, but boys will be boys. SIGH!

How those brave recreational hunters survived all that methane is still a mystery. The dust bowl could have been avoided if the Cheif had just sent a few women to the trading post to buy their meat that was harvested without harming animals.
How many young people, how many climate change activists even know about the Dust Bowl/the dirty thirties? Has that been any part of our (un)education system?

104 yesterday with light wind and looks like today will be a repeat. The smoke is still light but sure is putting an eerie glow to the morning sun. The light wind is saving us from the unhealthy stagnation we had last year, but fire season is still young and conditions are prime.

The sun this morning
IMG_5645.JPG

The morning sun from last year

Near one local fire
Southhill fire clouds 2003 (2).jpg

When several fires were contributing and the air was way over extreme danger. Photo was taken about 06:30 AM.
Smoke Sun.JPG

Last edited:
I asked the wife this morning if she was taking warning. She said "what"? I told her red skies in the morning sailor take warning. She told me that we are a long way from the ocean. The sun was well up into the sky and still just a red ball.

I asked the wife this morning if she was taking warning. She said "what"? I told her red skies in the morning sailor take warning. She told me that we are a long way from the ocean. The sun was well up into the sky and still just a red ball.
We aren't anywhere near the coast and that's been a saying around here for years. And it's usually right.

Smoke really settle in here over night. Visibility is not much over 3 miles. We went to the broncs and bulls over in Baker the last two nights. Baker is normally about 5 or 6 degrees cooler than we are. It was mid to upper 80's both days over there. That sure felt nice. It is going to be over 100 again here today.

At the bull riding last night I saw the son of a friend ride. He rode his first bull and bucked off in the short go. There was an old couple sitting by us. They got up early and went home. Another couple came and sat there. I thougth I should know this guy. I finally asked who he was. Turned out to be Rex Quintana. I hadn't seen him in a lot of years. Funny how we grow older and don't look exactly the same.

Smoke really settle in here over night. Visibility is not much over 3 miles. We went to the broncs and bulls over in Baker the last two nights. Baker is normally about 5 or 6 degrees cooler than we are. It was mid to upper 80's both days over there. That sure felt nice. It is going to be over 100 again here today.

At the bull riding last night I saw the son of a friend ride. He rode his first bull and bucked off in the short go. There was an old couple sitting by us. They got up early and went home. Another couple came and sat there. I thougth I should know this guy. I finally asked who he was. Turned out to be Rex Quintana. I hadn't seen him in a lot of years. Funny how we grow older and don't look exactly the same.
Smoke getting heavy here this morning. Nothing like last year, but enough to burn my eyes. No breeze so we could be in for trouble. Fire danger is on the highest alert.

We are under a red alert this after noon and evening for dry lightning. If we get that we will get a fire as dry as it is. But we won't know about it for a while because you won't be able to see it with all the smoke.

We are under a red alert this after noon and evening for dry lightning. If we get that we will get a fire as dry as it is. But we won't know about it for a while because you won't be able to see it with all the smoke.
Not just there, but everywhere. We are at 101 degrees right now.

Latest posts