• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

When did you start tagging your cows?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jakes

Reaction score
Just curious when everybody started tagging cows and how you managed before doing that? We started in 2000 and prior to that cows year brand so we knew age. Pulled off drys and anything that was going to be tough to winter at shipping in the fall and sold those sometime before January 1st. Then mark any they were riding through the winter. Depending on the market a lot of times we'd sort those off and sell those in March or April before calving. Get the rest at branding in June and send them with the losers. Still operate fairly similar except now we'll preg in the fall to get open cows in a separate bunch for winter. Quite a bit easier to find a cow you need to get another look at when they all have tags in their ears.

Years ago if u tagged some people would make fun of you. Call you ear ear tag outfit. Idea being you should know all your 200 some black cows without needing a number.
I started tagging when traceability kicked in after b.s.e.
I think you gain when you sell pairs. Buyers know they are a real pair. Know the age if you letter them.
If cows get out or mixed with someone else's the tag is easier than brand to spot especially in bush.
Makes everything easier when your old and tired like me

We tag everything but as the cows age we don't retag unless it's a purebred and has a metal tag so we know her. It does help id individual cows and an asset at pairing, especially heifers and their calves.
Bred hfrs don't get a tag until confirmed bred.

We tag everything but as the cows age we don't retag unless it's a purebred and has a metal tag so we know her. It does help id individual cows and an asset at pairing, especially heifers and their calves.
Bred hfrs don't get a tag until confirmed bred.
Pretty much the same way here but nothing's registered. We don't retag but everything has a year brand and tag heifers when we preg test.

Latest posts