• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

When you band your calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Do you use tetanus toxoid or anti toxin ?I have always used toxoid but was on the run last few weeks and had some help up here on the Hill country place feeding & doing some other chores including banding some 6/7 weight calves and he used anti toxin,I was thinking that was what you gave them if they got tetanus? Maybe one of the girls that do veterinary work will know.........where is Kato when I need her ?
PS IM watching this bunch close so far so good.

I just use toxoid. We just give them the 8-way vaccine, and everthing is good. Do you use the Calicrate bander Haymaker? That is what we use. We do 6-7 weight calves as well.

Calicrate bander is the best and I usually do it at a time when I give 8-way also,

PPRM

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I just use toxoid. We just give them the 8-way vaccine, and everthing is good. Do you use the Calicrate bander Haymaker? That is what we use. We do 6-7 weight calves as well.

I think we still have a calicrate around here that gets used ,I like the California bander,just because I have got used to it I guess,bands are alot cheaper too............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

I think we still have a calicrate around here that gets used ,I like the California bander,just because I have got used to it I guess,bands are alot cheaper too............good luck
Can you position the band just as high and can you get them just as tight with a California bander? I think mine is an E-Z bander or something like that. It's several years old.

I had an E-Z bander, er still do. I would gladly give it away, but I don't dislike anyone that much. Problem was the Bands themselves very inconsistent, so therefore was the application was inconsistent. Small amount of blood would get by, bag swollen....Vet said it was something he saw with E-Z Bander he didn't with Calicrate....I have the Calicrate and it works great !

PPRM

PPRM said:
I had an E-Z bander, er still do. I would gladly give it away, but I don't dislike anyone that much. Problem was the Bands themselves very inconsistent, so therefore was the application was inconsistent. Small amount of blood would get by, bag swollen....Vet said it was something he saw with E-Z Bander he didn't with Calicrate....I have the Calicrate and it works great !

PPRM
I guess I have an older one. Mine doesn't have bands. I have never had a problem with it either. It takes a roll of tubing and you size it to fit so to speak. It is cumbersome and slower than the calicrate. The california looks much quicker than either to me.

Calicarate works great for us. Bands are easy to get and it is quick to get the band on and get the animal out of the squeeze.

Red Robin said:
HAY MAKER said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

Can you position the band just as high and can you get them just as tight with a California bander? I think mine is an E-Z bander or something like that. It's several years old.

Yes you can get the bands as high & tight as you want them,but you dont wanna get em to high,I think I have a E-Z bander that got used once and set aside,if I remember right it will work fine on 3 & 4 weights but not to good on your 6& 7s................good luck

Hay Maker how do you judge the tension on the California Bander to make sure that it is tight enough? I looked at the manufacturer's website but couldn't get the images/video to load. I would prefer a cheaper alternative to the Callicrate bands if it were just as effective. What has been your experience as far as banding complications?

Also in regards to your initial question I'm sure you know the antitoxin is antibodies to the toxin which causes tetanus. I did some searching and found that the half life is approximately 23 days in the blood which should give enough protection to get over the high risk period. This seems less desireable to me since you don't induce an immune response by giving the antitoxin. Also the manufacturers all recommend tetanus toxoid.

gberry said:
Hay Maker how do you judge the tension on the California Bander to make sure that it is tight enough? I looked at the manufacturer's website but couldn't get the images/video to load. I would prefer a cheaper alternative to the Callicrate bands if it were just as effective. What has been your experience as far as banding complications?

Also in regards to your initial question I'm sure you know the antitoxin is antibodies to the toxin which causes tetanus. I did some searching and found that the half life is approximately 23 days in the blood which should give enough protection to get over the high risk period. This seems less desireable to me since you don't induce an immune response by giving the antitoxin. Also the manufacturers all recommend tetanus toxoid.

Thanks for the information gberry,I been watching em close and so far so good,I have banded many calves with the california bander and I have not had one problem,and you cant beat the price.
On the tightness,I have always believed you cant get em too tight,and thats the way I band them tight as I can get it,the bigger the bull the better it works.............good luck

Not all 8 way vaccines have tetanus in them. You've got to watch for that.

We don't band big calves ourselves. I've watched my boss have to clean up more than a few that had been banded too loose, and boy does that get ugly! :?

Latest posts