• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

where do banks invest?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Sandhusker would your bank make out of state or out of country investment in order to make a return for your investors. Or is all you money tied up in one county?

Banks are limited in where they can invest their funds. The FDIC is insuring the depositor's funds so they keep a pretty short rope on us. I can assure you this bank's funds are 100% in the good 'ol USA.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Would their be investments in companies that trade off shore?

I really don't know what banks can do overseas. Obviously the Chase Manhattans and Citicorps have interests all over the globe, but I don't know what restrictions they are under. There are probably additional requirements concerning credit qualty, ratings, etc.... They may even have to hedge the currencies. That is a whole other world that is over my head.

Sandhusker said:
Banks are limited in where they can invest their funds. The FDIC is insuring the depositor's funds so they keep a pretty short rope on us. I can assure you this bank's funds are 100% in the good 'ol USA.

Are you certain that you are not invested in a repackaged unit of foreign bonds? Just curious how you might know.

agman said:
Sandhusker said:

Are you certain that you are not invested in a repackaged unit of foreign bonds? Just curious how you might know.

I don't think so. I've heard of this and that and seen this and that, but nothing that looked foreign to me. Granted, I've never looked deep as I haven't needed to, but I don't think we are into anything foreign.

Latest posts