• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Which breed?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus,

Besides your common everyday commercial cows, I really think that the Brahman cross is a great breed. We have around 10 heifers (sp?) here with great motherly instincts. They have beautiful markings and a few really get your adrenaline pumpin when you work with them. Others are as quiet as they come and easy to work. When you're sorting or moving from pen to pen they always find the gate. Makes my job easier and more time for play.

The Brahman cross bull is always fun. Watch them grow from a knee height sucking calf to a great looking bull with tonz of potential. They always keep you moving and make sure you get plenty of exercise.

Everyone should have a Brahman cross cow/bull on there farm :nod:

Us gal~

Can't say I have a favourite breed. I think the best female is a cross bred (of 2 maternal breeds) Put a terminal bull on her back and you have a whopping calf!

I believe in Heterosis!

Well I would have to say I prefer Black Angus. Im like Murgen I like to see a good crossbred. I like Black Angus because they look good in the feedlot, and taste great on my plate!! :clap:

I like a good Brahman crossed with a little mexican fighter in it. Makes life interesting, and keeps you in shape!!!! :yeah: :wink:

I am in a rut - - -only backwards - - - in the 1960s I bred my Angus cows to a Charlois bull and after returning from the Corp picked up the angus and gradually moved to a registered Charlois herd and have made money with them selling breeding stock and any that did not sell for breeding stock still did very well in the feed lot.
But the 4H calf market is so good that I'm now breed ing the Charlois cows to an Angus bull- - - I have mixed feelings as I know I cannot keep as many Charlois cows on the same acreage as I can Angus but they really milk good and the calves do great - - - I don't know but I feel I'm getting as many pounds of calf per acre.
Now as for a favoriate - - - probably an Angus as they tend to be a little more docile although I can hand feed most of the Charlois I'm reluctant to trust them around city people ( I have family that comes to visit regurlary) but then mabey I could use the Charlois to run some of them off!!!!! Just an idea

It depends.If you wanna make money,go with the black hides....If you want somethin garanteed to survive anything (esp south texas heat..)go with the Brahmers...But thats me.

Red Angus first, then Black Angus. I also have so much respect for the Corriente cattle as a breed. I'd really like to have a few, but then I wouldn't be able to sell the offspring as roping cattle. I'd feel too sorry for them.

For those who might believe in the theory of reincarnation, wouldn't you hate to come back as a roping steer, or even worse, a roping calf?

We breed Limousines for years, but got tired of taking a beating at the sale-barn for the red hides. So have since throwed Angus bulls on the cows. They do look and sale better going thru the ring - one color. The last couple years color has not been such an issue with the hide color, rather than how they feed, which is the way it should be!

US Gal we maybe need to trade some critters -I just leased out some of our young Brahma X bulls today. My kids are getting into rough stock a bit we'll have 20 or so Brahma X calves this summer. They sure calve easy thats for sure-our bull doesn't throw much for colour though.

That's our fun cattle the ones that pay the bills are blacks and black baldies. We A.I Angus-Hereford and South Devon. Just closing out some finished cattle out west but first few returns were 100 percent triple A or better with a $.14 premium-not bad for those scrubby little grass calvers lol.

There aint a better breed for the great state of TEXAS,than BRANGUS...................good luck

Herefords are still my favorite breed. They seem to be increasingly becoming an endangered species! :D

Crossing Hereford with Angus makes a baldy cow that I think most everyone could agree is probably the most ideal combination of maternal traits. Breeding her to a terminal continental breed produces the most ideal calf. My 2 cents and worth what you paid for it! :D

I like Angus (red then black) the best. But i don't want to raise any cattle that are more than 75% angus. I really like a nice red angus shorthorn cross cow that i can breed to my char bulls. That will put dollars in my pocket and a smile on my face.

My favorite breed is a hereford crossed with a angus/tarentaise bull. You get a fabulouse cow that you can breed black or red and get black or red. nice utter, good mother, high weaning weight ULALALALLALAAAA.

I like Red Angus over all others. With the red hide you won't get any greys or rat tails that the buyers will put a huge discount on. They seem to cross great with anything, make a great momma cow, perform well, and eat great.

John SD said:
Herefords are still my favorite breed. They seem to be increasingly becoming an endangered species! :D

Crossing Hereford with Angus makes a baldy cow that I think most everyone could agree is probably the most ideal combination of maternal traits. Breeding her to a terminal continental breed produces the most ideal calf. My 2 cents and worth what you paid for it! :D

I would agree with the cross that is what we run. We tryed out some long horn, for the smaller calf but didn't like all that horn so we cut the long horn from the stock. Now we have baldy cows and a few Angus cows with a Angus bulls. Down here if it's not black you loss the green.

I like horned hereford, just ain't worried about the ignorant buyers who see nothing but black. screw them!

Latest posts