• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Which breed?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I use Maine and Charolais. My top end calves usually come out of 3/4 Maine cows bred Charolais. The "game" is to get a deep ,thick, long-bodied solid buckskin(tan) calf. :)

TimH said:
I use Maine and Charolais. My top end calves usually come out of 3/4 Maine cows bred Charolais. The "game" is to get a deep ,thick, long-bodied solid buckskin(tan) calf. :)

The other 1/4 on your cows Angus?

Yeap I like brangus as well...which probably has to do with where I"m located. South east texas...gotta have the brahman influence for heat tolerance and insect resistance. And it's sure nice that the black seems to bring more at the salebarn.

Sandhusker- "The other 1/4 on your cows Angus?"

No . The other 1/4 would be Char or some combination of Char and Maine. The cows that I call 3/4 Maine would actually be more than 3/4 because they are actually out of cross bred CharXMaine cows.
But.....2 of the PB Maine bulls(1 red/white the other solid red) I have right now, had black sires. :shock: (wonder how that happened?? :wink: )
I should also mention that I always end up with some red and white calves as well as some solid white or solid red.(and some that are less than "top end" :oops: )
But the "game" is to try for the buckskins!! :)

a good black balancer gelbvieh bull will work miracles on any herd. and throw in a touch of brammer in the heard the further south you go and a magic recipe for success.then that is when you go for 650lbs. in 205 days with a calf born on about day 360. and start all over agin.

Latest posts