• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

whitestone widespread

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tlakota

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have used widespread in your AI program at all, and what you think of him? Ive got a few 2nd calf heifers out of him and a few yearlings that i like a lot. Very easy fleshing and great maternal from what ive seen. I know that widespread is now deceased :( and im sure semen prices have gone up but does anyone know of anywhere to buy his semen of does anyone know of a pretty good son out of him to buy semen on?

I sell for Accelerated and just looked through the list and couldn't find him. I am not sure if Accelerated owned him or just sold semen on him. If they only bought semen from the owners, I don't think they would have any left after he died. Try Angus Semen Service or call Whitestone.

He was a pretty decent bull. We had a couple that were alright, although they are gone now for various reasons. He had a son that was fairly popular back in 2000 named Whitestone Battalion L136. He was a pretty good bull that threw some great females. I still have a couple of them and really like them. Battalion is a maternal brother to TC Rancher 056 and Whitestone Fly Traveler 3006, which were both good bulls also for maternal traits. He is also a maternal brother of TC Stockman, the sire of Stockman 365.

There aren't alot of sons to buy semen on. I used to work for one of the owners and I know I could get you some Battalion semen if you were interested in him. His reg. # is 13320075. He is a bit high on the BW epd, but the calves I've had weren't over 85 pounds. In fact, after he sold in Denver, we bred him to a group of 1st calvers and the heaviest calf was 80 pounds.

I have used Whitestone Widespread MB for several years but I am now out of him. I have a yearling bull by him that will sell in the upcomming EPD sale the first weekend in Feb.
He was priced at 20$ when I bought him but the price droped and last I noticed he was about $16.
I like this bull a lot and he is surely the "rump King." Just his birth weight is a little high.
If you find some please let me know where you find it.

sic em,

What that son of widespread semen run? I also noticed that widespreads epds are high but i have never had problem with big calves. Ive had quite a few out of cows and have never had one over 85 pounds. Thing i like about him the most is the fleshing ability and the daughters seem to be pretty small framed

alabama
Ya i remeber smen on him being $18. Accelerated would run special on buy 2 get 1 free soo it would bring that price down to $12. That is pretty tough to beat i would say. I have found that widespread isnt very popular but he fits into my operation very good.

I see where Bullbarn has a son of his listed....Whitestone Wide Range--pretty unproven so far....

http://bullbarn.com/angblkprice.asp

http://www.whitestonefarm.com/herdsires/battalion.html

HEre's the Battalion bull. Also I just called Accelerated and they were going to check if they had any semen left. From the website you can get Whitestones phone number to call and see if they have any semen, which I am sure they probably do.

Accelerated just called me back and said they do not have any semen on Widespread.

This is what whitestone said about him.

Calved 1/9/95 • 12411157

For semen and AI certificates
contact Accelerated Genetics at 1-800-451-9275.

Owned with Champion Hill, Bidwell, Ohio, and leased to Accelerated Genetics A.I. Stud, Baraboo, WI.

The famous Whitestone herd sire who is one of the all-time most popular proven sires in the Accelerated Genetics A.I. Stud with semen selling to North America, Argentina, Chile and South Africa.

Whitestone Widespread MB transmits an unmatched combination of outstanding muscling, depth of rib, fleshing ability, growth, structural soundness, udder quality, maternal character and eye appeal, earning him an enduring level of popularity.

Ranking in the top two percent among current sires for both Weaning Weight EPD and Yearling Weight EPD, this top-performing bull of his calf crop stacks the time-tested genetics of the Pathfinder Sires, N Bar Emulation EXT and DHD Traveler 6807, from the now-deceased MB Rachel 2173 who came to Whitestone Farm as the $25,000 top-selling cow of a past McKean Brothers sale.

A daughter is the $150,000 one-time world record-selling heifer calf and his sons include the popular champion, Whitestone Battalion L136.

I noticed that Angus semen service no longer has him listed.
I just called Whitestone at 703 327 4863
She is checking on him now.

You might try getting ahold of Champion Hill also since they owned part of him. Surely there is some semen on him somewhere?!?

I was just to a bull sale yesterday where they sold some widespread sons. They are really nice but I talked to a friend who used some and he said that he got rid of them because of their bad attitudes. In fact they were down right hard to handle and if he tried to get them alone in the corrals they would smash down anything they could. Plus I wouldn't use him because he goes back to Ext and in my opinion he can throw some woofy cows. Plus when they calve they try to stomp their calves in the ground. Has anyone had the same experiences?

jtg EXT will do that on certain bloodlines-I had a buddy poo pooing my bitch about his disposition till he had four cows-trample their own calves-until you've seen a bad one you have no idea what their like-a mountain lion with PMS.

Alabama, we cull very hard on our cows for disposition. We are firm believers in having a quiet herd. Not necessarily those who love to be scratched but the kind of cow that is easy to handle and gentle loving mothers.

Northern rancher- your description of those ext mothers is very accurate. I agree not all of them are that way because if they were all nuts he would never have been used as much as he was. But when the genes go bad they really go bad![/quote]

Latest posts