• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Who says so?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
Who says that there are 850,000 cattle producers in the US and what do they call a cattle producer.

I would not be surprised to find out that the small number of R-Calf producers in Colorado own half of the cattle in the state.

Play with statistics at the risk of being embarassed.

I think? I read that the criteria for voting in the check-off referendum was proof of one animal (cow/calf) sold within the last six months. If wrong I stand corrected.

It would be interesting to know how many cattle are represented by each major cattle organization. (You know who they are)

The average cattle owner owns 35 head here in Alabama - probably the same for many other southeastern states, yet there are several with thousands of mama cows. Must be many with just 3-4 head.

Cow Puncher,I have read 850000 a few times in differnt articles,but that dont make it true,you make a good point ,be interesting to get an accurate count of cow men but I think most are gonna guard their numbers.I know for a fact here in TX its considered rude to ask a man how many cows he owns,liken it to askin a man how much money he has in the bank..............good luck

Guys, the "one beef animal sold and checkoff paid on it in the past six months or one year", I'm not certain which time frame, is what was required on the LMA petitions against the Beef Checkoff, and I'm guessing that was the criteria when the checkoff was voted in. Also, corporate ranches get one vote, no matter how many cattle owners are in it.

Re. cattle producer numbers......isn't that listed in the Agricultural Statistics book? I may not have the name exact, but think it may be published annually, or every other year and is "from the government", so some of you will not believe it true......so.... who has better ones? Remember the numbers can only be as honest as the ranchers reporting them. Haven't we all heard friends say "I never tell those census people my real numbers"????

Considering "herd numbers" SD has fairly high one, and yes, the southern states have lower one. I believe it's all in that stats book, maybe available at the ASCS, or NRCS office or your cattlemens org.

Obviously having members like Goggins and the guy from MT trading in Canadian cattle (can't recall his name) in R-CALF brings up the average considerably. What is Goggins now, about tenth or twelfth largest in the nation in cow numbers?

So where are you going to count the cattle numbers of your CO ranchers who have memberships in both organizations?

MRJ

HAY MAKER said:
I know for a fact here in TX its considered rude to ask a man how many cows he owns,liken it to askin a man how much money he has in the bank..............good luck

And I know for a fact that only those embarrassed about the size of their cowherds are the ones that consider it rude to ask or be asked about herd size in Texas.

I have cattle in Texas, have met many cattlement there, and know more about ranching in Texas than you know about ranching in Canada.

There are an aweful lot of small ranches with 10 head in Texas just getting their ag exemption. The owners dress fancy and spend thousands on looking the part so no doubt they wouldn't want to divulge their herd size.

Jason said:
HAY MAKER said:
I know for a fact here in TX its considered rude to ask a man how many cows he owns,liken it to askin a man how much money he has in the bank..............good luck

And I know for a fact that only those embarrassed about the size of their cowherds are the ones that consider it rude to ask or be asked about herd size in Texas.

I have cattle in Texas, have met many cattlement there, and know more about ranching in Texas than you know about ranching in Canada.

There are an aweful lot of small ranches with 10 head in Texas just getting their ag exemption. The owners dress fancy and spend thousands on looking the part so no doubt they wouldn't want to divulge their herd size.

Ok you have cattle in TX and I have cattle in TX what you say you tell me where yours are at and herd size and I do the same ,as a matter of fact since you have so many cows in TX surely you come check on them,look me up when you get here ,Ill show you some cattle and we will see who has got the big mouth..........put up or shut up matter of fact make it interesting $$$$.......good luck PS Im waiting,Joseph Stout Sisterdale TX ,you cant miss me population 6,Some of you self proclaimed experts need to do a little thinking before you start running your mouth,you are fixing to find that out.So tell me when, then we will know who the cowboy is.

You say it is considered rude to ask a man how many cows he owns in Texas then your first question is how many cows do I own?

I don't own many there but enough to have learned the differences and similarities between there and here. When you publicly state how much you netted from your ranch I will tell you the name and size of the operation I am involved with.

Do you care to address the ag exempt status that permits so many small herds? Didn't think so.

FYI the person that looks after the cows I own bought their first ones from me which I delivered personally. I was down in December but doubt I will be down again soon. The cows I own there are more a courtesy and a thank you from my client for helping with their new venture. They are purebred Angus no ear, and others in the area have started buying bulls and switching from eared cattle as well.

That herd has been allowed to start from an ag exemption as well.

Jason said:
You say it is considered rude to ask a man how many cows he owns in Texas then your first question is how many cows do I own?

I don't own many there but enough to have learned the differences and similarities between there and here.
When you publicly state how much you netted from your ranch
HHHHHHAAAAA,YOU GOT MORE BRASS THAN A ST.LOUIS FIRE TRUCK

Do you care to address the ag exempt status that permits so many small herds? Didn't think so.
what's to address,its a well known fact the cattle industry is fragmented with hobby farmers,got several on my west property line here at the hill contry place.

They are purebred Angus no ear, and others in the area have started buying bulls and switching from eared cattle as well.

SO,what makes you think thats news?thats been happening years.

Well you have my name and phone #when you come down as you call it,call me,and let me state again I or the ranchers I associate with do not run around bragging numbers,thats the fastest way to identify a loud mouth from town with money,that dont make you a rancher,I damn sure dont claim to be a cattle baron,but I remain skeptical you could teach me any thing, much less how to ranch..........good luck PS,and when I say braggin numbers,I dont mean a few cattle men that are friends or neighbors,talkin cattle,every body does that to an extent,IM talkin about publicly braggin numbers to strangers or any one else they find that will listen.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Haymaker did you move last time you said you were from Boerne, Texas by God. :cowboy:

The postal service dont think we are worthy of a post office so they make us give our mailing address as BOERNE ..............good luck ps where have you been? every time Jason posts seems like he is trying to teach me how to ranch,that boy oughta know by now IM to old and stubborn to change.I believe he would have better luck with you and your long horn/watusi crosses now there is a home grown challenge for him, learn a fellow canuckle head how to work long horns thru a chute.........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Haymaker did you move last time you said you were from Boerne, Texas by God. :cowboy:

The postal service dont think we are worthy of a post office so they make us give our mailing address as BOERNE ..............good luck ps where have you been? every time Jason posts seems like he is trying to teach me how to ranch,that boy oughta know by now IM to old and stubborn to change.I believe he would have better luck with you and your long horn/watusi crosses now there is a home grown challenge for him, learn a fellow canuckle head how to work long horns thru a chute.........good luck

I think I asked you before if you knew a Hale girl from Sisterdale. If there are only 6 people how could you not know her?

HAY MAKER said:
every time Jason posts seems like he is trying to teach me how to ranch,that boy oughta know by now IM to old and stubborn to

Come on haymaker if you stop following R-cult you might be able to learn how to ranch.

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I think I asked you before if you knew a Hale girl from Sisterdale. If there are only 6 people how could you not know her?

I think what you asked me,was did I know any Hales because you thought they lived in the "area" there are no Hales living in Sisterdale,there is some about twenty miles to the north and some more bout the same distance to the west but none here locally.I have never met them...........good luck

Latest posts