• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WHO'S FLIPPIN NOW ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
6/8/2005
author....unknown
-

When cleaning out the storeroom sorting through old reference materials, I
came across an article in a January 1999 Feedstuffs Magazine. The article
read, "A majority of American consumers support country-of-origin labeling for
meat, according to the National Cattlemen's Beef Assn. (NCBA), reporting
results of a consumer survey...NCBA has championed country-of-origin labeling
since the concept was approved by its membership last year to distinguish
American-produced beef products from imported beef products...NCBA said
surveyors at Wirthlin Worldwide found 78% of consumers polled endorsed such
labels, saying that the labels would permit them to choose between American
and foreign meat products...Accordingly, NCBA will be discussing country-of-
origin with packers, processors, retailers and other parties 'in the coming
months to find the best solution for meeting consumer expectations.'"

Things have changed since 1999, haven't they? Today the NCBA is part of a
coalition that has done everything it could do to kill country-of-origin
labeling (COOL). I'd even go so far as to call it a conspiracy. COOL didn't
have to be difficult. A group of livestock economists proposed models that
would not have been difficult to implement. "The cost of mandatory COOL is
small. The only independent legal and economic study conducted found mandatory
COOL would cost consumers less than one-tenth of one cent per pound for beef,
pork, fish, fruits, and vegetables covered by the law. (VanSickle, McEowen,
Taylor, Harl & Connor, 'Country of Origin Labeling, A Legal and Economic
Analysis', May 2003).

Packers, NCBA, and USDA wanted COOL made as ugly as they could make it.
Congress passes laws but the USDA implements them, writing the rules which
constitute the laws. The USDA purposely has done everything they could to see
to it COOL rules would produce revulsion in order to generate a backlash
opponents could subsequently use to derail it. Their plan is working. Key
Congressmen, captive to packers, successfully denied funding for
implementation and have introduced legislation eliminating mandatory COOL,
replacing it with something that doesn't exist they call voluntary COOL.

"Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley, a proponent of mandatory COOL, said making
labeling voluntary makes little sense...'Why have COOL if it is voluntary? It
is a part of the law now and I do not think it will be repealed.'" "In a
statement opposing the measure to change the current law, the Consumers
Federation of America noted, 'Voluntary labeling has been an option for years,
yet few processors and packers have been willing to participate. The only time
these large processors and packers support a voluntary system is when they are
trying to kill the mandatory one.'" U.S. consumers are deceived every day that
the beef they eat is U.S. origin.

Supply chains procure cheap beef overseas, import it, and sell it for U.S.
prices predicated on this deception. It is worth literally billions of dollars
to them and these supply chains fully intend to significantly expand their
procurement reach further into the extremely profitable business of laundering
foreign meat through U.S. markets to consumers. Why would a supply chain that
intends to make billions of dollars from deceiving U.S. consumers reveal the
source of the meat, voluntarily identifying a product that would be less
desirable in the marketplace? They won't. They'd have to discount foreign beef
in order to sell it, which would make it less competitive and reduce their
profit margins from imports.

The NCBA says that the success of the industry hinges on giving consumers
what they want, yet when consumers want COOL, as published in the NCBA's own
survey, the NCBA says 'no' ask for something else. Beef from BSE-tested
animals? The NCBA again told Japanese consumers 'no' ask for something else.
In other words, the NCBA really doesn't mean what it says. While integrated
beef supply chains fight to protect their profitable imported beef deception,
COOL was implemented for fish and is working just fine. I can pick up a bag of
shrimp and it will tell me where the shrimp were produced but buy a bag a beef
jerky and despite labels touting "USDA inspected" and "packaged in the USA",
subsequent inquiry uncovered the beef's origin was either Brazil or New
Zealand.

ISU legal expert Roger McEowen noted that "legal analysis performed in 2003
showed only that Canadian cattle and hogs come into the U.S. unbranded.
Therefore, identifying those few hundred thousand cattle and the few million
hogs that come into the country by tagging them or branding them would be the
only major cost for a mandatory labeling system." Imported product is already
sorted out, easily labeled. R-CALF President Leo McDonald concluded "It is
common knowledge that NCBA has been the primary force in delaying the
implementation of Mandatory COOL, and now, the organization has become a part
of the group that wants to kill it completely. Why would an organization that
claims to represent cattlemen want to deceive the very consumers U.S. ranchers
need to have trust in their product in order to continue building demand for
that product?" The better question is what happened since 1999 to the
organization that once supported mandatory COOL? That NCBA doesn't exist
anymore.

Today the NCBA is part of a coalition that has done everything it could do to kill country-of-origin labeling (COOL).

Understandably! The packer blamers exempted 75% of the imports and prohibited the means to enforce it. Consumers can buy souce verified beef products now if they want them. NCBA may have supported the concept originally but the flawed law that it became can only be supported by those less informed.

I'd even go so far as to call it a conspiracy.

Of course you would, that's how every blamer's mind works. Another "shot from the grassy knoll".

COOL didn't have to be difficult. A group of livestock economists proposed models that would not have been difficult to implement.

Easy to say for those who were not responsible for enforcing this flawed law.

The cost of mandatory COOL is small.

That's a lie!

The low cost estimates of the critics are for a law that is non enforceable. The law the proponents put in place requires proof of where beef was "BORN, RAISED, AND SLAUGHTERED" which requires segregation and traceback to enforce.

The USDA purposely has done everything they could to see to it COOL rules would produce revulsion in order to generate a backlash opponents could subsequently use to derail it.

Proponents of this bill demanded proof of where livestock were "Born, Raised, and Slaughtered". That requires segregation of cattle, carcasses, and a traceback system as proof. Laws have to be enforced. Unfortunately, R-CULT & Co. is not in charge of enforcing their flawed law so they could see first hand how flawed it really is. Instead, they sit on their "throne of judgement" and BWAMDE USDA for their own shortcomings.

"In a statement opposing the measure to change the current law, the Consumers Federation of America noted, 'Voluntary labeling has been an option for years, yet few processors and packers have been willing to participate. The only time these large processors and packers support a voluntary system is when they are trying to kill the mandatory one."

Then why the increase in source verified branded beef products without government intervention?

Once again, the obvious is too obvious for the blamers.

U.S. consumers are deceived every day that the beef they eat is U.S. origin.

95% of the beef at the retail level is U.S. origin.

Supply chains procure cheap beef overseas, import it, and sell it for U.S. prices predicated on this deception.

Supply chains procure cheap lean trimmings overseas, import it, blend it with our worthless 50/50 trim and ADD VALUE TO IT which is PRICE POSITIVE TO U.S. PRODUCERS.

Import blamers who don't know anything about the beef industry fail to understand this.

Why would a supply chain that intends to make billions of dollars from deceiving U.S. consumers reveal the source of the meat, voluntarily identifying a product that would be less desirable in the marketplace?

Why would processors not willingly include the source of the meat?

Two reasons:

1. CONSUMERS AREN'T ASKING FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!
2. CONSUMERS AREN'T ASKING FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!

When consumers start asking for foreign beef due to R-CULT's fear mongering scare tactics about domestic beef, then processors and retailers will start labeling foreign beef.

They'd have to discount foreign beef in order to sell it, which would make it less competitive and reduce their profit margins from imports.

More baseless claims from those in the "cattle industry" that think they know more about selling beef than those in the "beef industry". Argentina beef has outsold U.S. beef when segregated as a novelty item.

The NCBA says that the success of the industry hinges on giving consumers what they want, yet when consumers want COOL, as published in the NCBA's own survey, the NCBA says 'no' ask for something else.

Consumers can buy source verified beef now without a government mandate that would place generic labels on commodity beef and create a novelty item out of foreign beef.

What consumers want is quality taste, tenderness, value, and convenience. Not a generic Country of Origin label on commodity beef. If Country of Origin was important to consumers they could seek out the source verified products in place today. Instead, Callicrate's "born, raised, and processed in the U.S." branded beef products are suffering from "consumer apathy".

ISU legal expert Roger McEowen noted that "legal analysis performed in 2003 showed only that Canadian cattle and hogs come into the U.S. unbranded. Therefore, identifying those few hundred thousand cattle and the few million hogs that come into the country by tagging them or branding them would be the only major cost for a mandatory labeling system."

Not true! That segregates the animal, not the carcass or the packages of beef. More ignorance displayed in public.

Why would an organization that claims to represent cattlemen want to deceive the very consumers U.S. ranchers need to have trust in their product in order to continue building demand for that product?"

Excellent question! Why would R-CULT claim that USDA doesn't care about food safety and claim that Canadian beef is unsafe when both countries have taken the necessary BSE precautionary measures accepted by the OIE????

Why would R-CULT claim that the large packers don't care about food safety and only care about the money and then suggest we have the safest beef in the world.

Your exactly right. Consumers need to know the truth not politically motivated lies to stop Canadian live cattle imports.

~SH~

Quote:
"In a statement opposing the measure to change the current law, the Consumers Federation of America noted, 'Voluntary labeling has been an option for years, yet few processors and packers have been willing to participate. The only time these large processors and packers support a voluntary system is when they are trying to kill the mandatory one."

SH:"Then why the increase in source verified branded beef products without government intervention?"

I think the increase in the number of SV Branded Products are being offered by smaller packers who do not oppose Cool. Smaller branded programs are popping up all over the place. Do a google search for "home raised beef". I came up with over a million hits.

Sandhusker...Does anybody buy SH's spin?

Nope, we provide USA verified beef for countries that want it. It would be just as easy to provide country of origin here. The imports are already marked when they get here.

He even managed to get R-CALF in there 4 times, even though the article was on NCBA! :lol:

Yet, nothing on why the NCBA changed horses. :roll:

Sandhusker said:
He even managed to get R-CALF in there 4 times, even though the article was on NCBA! :lol: :oops: :oops:

Yet, nothing on why the NCBA changed horses. :roll:

Interesting FACT! :wink:

On NCBA changing horses, I wasn't a member then so was not privy to the debate.

NCBA was wrong to ever support Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling.

We didn't need a government mandate to provide what consumers aren't asking for then and we don't need it now. If consumers were asking for it they could support one of many source verified branded beef programs and the retailers could provide it without a government mandate. Mike Callicrate proved that you don't need a government mandate to market "born, raised, and processed in the U.S." beef products even if consumers aren't interested.

Mandatory Country of Origin is the classic "symbolism over substance".

Totally meaningless!

Typical of the liberals in the cattle industry wanting government to solve their "PERCEIVED" problems for them.

Now the blamers want to allow the federal government to pick and chose who can and who cannot own cattle through the captive supply conspiracy theory reform act. What a joke!

Independent producers?????

Not if R-CULT has their way!

~SH~

SH, can you prove that statement of yours ?(We didn't need a government mandate to provide what consumers aren't asking for then )

You can take all the BSA surveys you want................the majority of the US Consumers see a USDA Inspected and they think it was produced in the US. You can stick all the COOL BS stickers on a package of Meat and the customer looks and price and color of the meat. When they leave the store with a package of meat at a fair price and it cooks and eats good they are OK.........but let it taste and cook bad and you have a new chicken and pork customer for about 2-3 visits to the meat case. Then the urge to try a steak hits them again and they try it........COOL is the biggest BS deal I have ever heard of. If you want COOl.............then label the imported crap and let the rest be USA! I think the majorityof the US consumers will figure out the Best product has no COOL label. It is USA BEEF!

Porker: "SH, can you prove that statement of yours ?(We didn't need a government mandate to provide what consumers aren't asking for then )"

What more proof do you need than the fact that source verified branded beef programs are available now, and have been for quite some time, for those who want them. If source verification were more important to consumers than price, the free enterprise system would provide what the consumers asked for. Most are not asking so only a few are providing.

Actual consumer purchases are more than enough proof.

~SH~

Consumer polls can be swayed any direction by simply asking a question a certain way at a certain place and time.

For example, at a "support our troops" rally the question is asked, do you prefer US beef over foreign beef?

What do you think consumers will say? DUH!

When they leave the "support our troops convention, they stop at Walmart to buy foreign products.

Talk is cheap!

My actual consumer purchases trumps your consumer polls.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Consumer polls can be swayed any direction by simply asking a question a certain way at a certain place and time.

For example, at a "support our troops" rally the question is asked, do you prefer US beef over foreign beef?

When they leave the "support our troops convention, they stop at Walmart to buy foreign products.

Talk is cheap!

~SH~

"NCBA said
surveyors at Wirthlin Worldwide found 78% of consumers polled endorsed such
labels, saying that the labels would permit them to choose between American
and foreign meat products..."
---------------------------------------

~SH~ Are you saying your beloved NCBA and their affiliates LIED to us?? SHAME :lol: :lol:

~SH~ said:

Talk is cheap!

~SH~

Can you post your poll results ~SH~IM not trying to say I dont believe you or any thing like that ,we all know your integrity is of the highest level,but I would like to see your poll..........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
~SH~ said:

Talk is cheap!

~SH~

Can you post your poll results ~SH~IM not trying to say I dont believe you or any thing like that ,we all know your integrity is of the highest level,but I would like to see your poll..........good luck

Haymaker--You shouldn't post things like that until I can get my boots back on-- Its getting kind of deep :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes and it aint even been raining ,but maybe ole ~SH~ will one day post some thing that will prove some of his BS I keep waiting.......good luck PS he sez he has consumer reports ,lets see em.

Come on you guys! I bet you know that where good beef is concerned "Product of Canada" will trump "Product of USA" in most US households. (Especially if the price is right)

Border rancher said:
Come on you guys! I bet you know that where good beef is concerned "Product of Canada" will trump "Product of USA" in most US households. (Especially if the price is right)

Not when people can't distinquish it from "Product of Uruguay" or "Product of Mexico" or "Product of Wherever beef is cheapest when the packers need it"---Sad that Canada has had to ride on the shirttails of an industry that generations of US cattle producers made and no-one in the world even knows they have ever ate Canadian beef :cry:

Latest posts