• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Why do cows throw dirt on themselves ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

efb

Reaction score
I see cows paw dirt all over themselves during the summer and am pretty sure it was to help control flies. But this winter my cows are still doing it a lot. Actually digging holes in the pasture. I am wondering why. Could they have lice ? They don't look mangey I poured them all about 6 weeks ago with Ivomec.

efb said:
I see cows paw dirt all over themselves during the summer and am pretty sure it was to help control flies. But this winter my cows are still doing it a lot. Actually digging holes in the pasture. I am wondering why. Could they have lice ? They don't look mangey I poured them all about 6 weeks ago with Ivomec.
efb- Have you carefully checked their nutritional intake and do they have CORRECT mineral supplementation? What kind of hay are you feeding?

DOC HARRIS

Pouring them once for lice won't always eliminate lice. Don Bliss, one of the leading parasitoligists says, "If you want to kill lice, you must pour them twice, regardless of the product you use."

I know that some avermectin companies got into trouble awhile back and the government made them pull their lice guarantee because it was bogus. You don't see the claims anymore guaranteeing "6 months lice-free" etc.

The way I understand it, there are biting lice and the eggs. Pouring will get the biting lice, but not the eggs. It takes two weeks for the eggs to hatch. You need to go back and pour in two weeks to get the eggs that hatched.

So, it could be lice that are bothering your cattle.

Another possibility is that there is nothing physically wrong with the cow. Sometimes, cows being cows, they beller and dig just like their bovine brothers. This especially can happen if two bunches of cows are put together. There is a power struggle for awhile.

Some cows are more prone to this problem than others. They go through life with a chip on their shoulder, attitude-wise, and digging up dirt is their way of demonstrating their displeasure with life. EPDs showing the propensity of this trait would be in order. :wink:

DOC HARRIS said:
efb said:
efb- Have you carefully checked their nutritional intake and do they have CORRECT mineral supplementation? What kind of hay are you feeding?

DOC HARRIS

I wouldn't expect it to be nutritional. They are getting the same mineral free choice that I have used for years. I am feeding hay shipped in from 60 miles away which I have never had to do before. It's coastal bermuda and tested 11.5% protein which is about the same as I generally grow here at home. I guess the mineral content could be different, but I am confiendent in my mineral program. I guess I'll pour them again. It could also be the attitude thing. I brought cattle home from summer pasture and put them together with the cattle here about 3 months ago. You'd think they would have sorted that out by now. It just looks like they are fighting flies. Guess I'd better check their bellies. It's been in the 70's and 80's a lot this winter, but I don't see any flies.

Soapweed said:
Another possibility is that there is nothing physically wrong with the cow. Sometimes, cows being cows, they beller and dig just like their bovine brothers. This especially can happen if two bunches of cows are put together. There is a power struggle for awhile.

Some cows are more prone to this problem than others. They go through life with a chip on their shoulder, attitude-wise, and digging up dirt is their way of demonstrating their displeasure with life. EPDs showing the propensity of this trait would be in order. :wink:

*shrug*

My thoughts, too.
Though I didn't know that trait showed up in EPDs! :shock:

:lol:

Soapweed said:

Soapweed.........are you talking about cows or people!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now would you class this new trait monitor as an IGNORANCE EPD??? :lol: :lol: :p :roll:

efb, anychance that you moved some dirt where they are digging?
Seems all I have to do is scuff the ground by turning too sharp and the Ignorance EPD shows up in my herd.
Might just be that they are itchy. You say it's been warm...maybe they are shedding a little and it is bothersome to them.

theHiredMansWife said:
Soapweed said:

*shrug*

My thoughts, too.
Though I didn't know that trait showed up in EPDs! :shock:

:lol:
HMW- I'm working on it! :lol: :???: Ask Soapweed! :eek: :roll:

DOC HARRIS

cowsense said:
Soapweed said:

Soapweed.........are you talking about cows or people!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now would you class this new trait monitor as an IGNORANCE EPD??? :lol: :lol: :p :roll:[/quot

I had the same thought, cowsense! Especially when he added that line, "They (some cows, and some humans!) go through life with a chip on their shoulder, attitude-wise, digging up dirt is their way of demonstrating displeasure with life". unfortunately that fits waaaay too many people in todays' world!

MRJ

Soapweed said:

I agree with you, Soap, they even "growl" like their uncut bovine brothers!

Latest posts