• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Why do you live where you do?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score

This is a question posted at another forum.

My main reason is while in the Corps I saw a lot of the world and country and I have not found anyplace I like better.

Followed very closely by the fact my children are within 5 miles and I love seeing my grand children several times a week!

Winters are not to bad and summers are not to hot - - - 30 to 40 inches of rain on a normal year, feed a cow calf pair on about 1 acre for 8 months, another acre for hay so I can keep a pair on 2 acres a year.

I guess I'm just spoiled here!

Jim says because we haven't made enough money to leave in 133 years of ranching up on this rockpile... maybe next year :?

Dust bothers me less here than any other place I have found, to quote an old cowboy.

I was raised here and have traveled a lot around the west and east and this is still my favorite place. If I had to leave here I am thinking the Sandhills as they have such an easy life, ranching down there. Just ride around and take pictures and everybody has good equipment. :D

OH, and they don't even wear out a pair of over shoes per winter, nor caps!

:lol:

George said:

This is a question posted at another forum.

My main reason is while in the Corps I saw a lot of the world and country and I have not found anyplace I like better.

Followed very closely by the fact my children are within 5 miles and I love seeing my grand children several times a week!

Winters are not to bad and summers are not to hot - - - 30 to 40 inches of rain on a normal year, feed a cow calf pair on about 1 acre for 8 months, another acre for hay so I can keep a pair on 2 acres a year.

I guess I'm just spoiled here!

hell..............I need ta move to Indiana.
good luck

PS it dont git cold and snow around there ?

My Grandfather looked around western Canada for a place to ranch 75 years ago. Manitoba had to much water, Alberta was too expensive and Saskatchewan was just right. Sort of a Goldilocks thing I guess. I was raised here and it was what I wanted to do. For the area we generally have a fairly long grazing season, natural shelter and flowing springs. :D

Of all the places I have seen i am not envious of anywhere. :D

Moved to Texas to start over, Moved to Dalhart to be closer to shoers route LOL Moved to Texline to be closer to work. Last move will be to mine and shoers retirement home. I miss the Carolinas but there are too many people. SO looking for a place away from lots of people, close to the Mountains, trees, water, and room for horses and chickens.

"I'm an Eastern boy with Western dreams
but somehow in spite of all my schemes
I flog this Ontario farm . . ."

But I think I should move to the Big Muddy Valley . . . :wink:

Grandpa came out here to homestead this place in the early 1900's. I will be the 3rd and last generation of my family to be ranching here in "God's country". I have travelled a little bit and visited family in IA and OH. Seen a lot of pretty country between here and there, but it's always good to get home. The air is easier to breathe here.

Yep- about the same here.. Granddad moved here almost 100 years ago and homesteaded... I was raised here and still have a lot of family here...

This part of the country has about the friendliest people I've found anywhere- the reason this area is called the Hi-line...

I fell in love with the country on my first visit. Never planned on staying but on my second visit the transmission of my Pickup went out, I was offered a job while waiting for the repairs - and here I still am, twelve years later. Go figure - beautiful country, no regrets.

I was born in Utah, moved with my parents to Missouri (their home state), moved to Colorado, moved back to Missouri. After Air Force duty and Ag School, moved back to Colorado, moved to Caliifornia (37 years). Retired, lived in 37 ft. Motorhome - full time - for six years and traveled to every state in US- and finally moved back to Colorado ten years ago! WHY? Because even GOD lives here! What is good enough for My Lord is good enough for us.

DOC HARRIS

Dad's side of the family has been kicking around the new england states since the mayflower or maybe before as ship captians fishing of the coast. I traveled around the US and Europe and always seem to come home to Maine. It doe not hurt that the parents make me a sweet deal on taking over the family operation and I have a large enough land base to support my desires.

Cat_plowing_007.jpg

Good question. I asked myself the very same one 2 days ago when my husband had to get the Cat out to open our driveway back up after 2 weeks of heavy snow and of course, wind. His great-grandpa came here during the Dust Bowl of the early 30's (leaving Oklahoma) and no one has left since. As much as I complain about our long winters, I love our summers. And hopefully our little one will be the 5th generation cattle rancher here :) Uuuuggghhh. Just realized we still have a good 3 months of winter left here. :mad:

nobody wanted it , they parted out the place 6 years ago kind of a fire sale the land went pretty cheap , the fella that bought most of the land was from town and forgot to tell his wife , but she told him , the only real neighbor I got is an old durum farmer , he mentioned one day that he figure that since we run cow's in the foothills and run cow's in the sandhill's that we should be able to run cow's in these hill's , so far so good :wink:

It's been in our family 95 years Ty will be the fourth generation on the place. The winters can be tough but we have great hockey,skidooing,ice fishing calling yotes. The fishing is world class and within twenty minutes of my gate you can hunt for record book whitetail,mule deer,bear,elk and if your really lucky moose-lots of them but bulls only seasons make it hard for them to grow up. Our home town is just the right size has all the amenities but only 5000 people.

I suppose I live where I am at because that is where was planted, and I don't transplant well.

My grand Parents and great grandparents moved to the Nebraska prairies in 1883 because they wanted a place in the world that they could call their own, and a place where the government would not try to control their lives. They moved to an area that only about 30 years earlier, John Fremont called the Great American Desert. They built homesteads and spent the rest of their lives here.

During my earliest years, I experienced the drought and dust bowl years, it seemed nothing grew but tumbleweeds. Nothing lived here except barn sparrows and jack rabbits. We read about, and studied about all the interesting places people lived. We thought we were missing out on something.

After you grow older, you learn to pay attention to what you really do have, you start to see the things you really do enjoy, the things that make you feel good.. There are things here that some others may not have.

I am the 5th generation to have work this ground here my great great grandfather was told to go and help settle the valley when the mormans came to utah. Right now I am looking to relocating to some where else so we can continue to expand our herd and hopefully have room for my daughter to come back if she should choose to.

I have kicked around a few different places in the US........but that was when moving included packing a few guns,a saddle and bedroll.........unless I get burned out looks like I'm staying put.........I hate moving
Was born and raised around these parts too...........

Latest posts