• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

why haven't unions raised the wages in grocery stores?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Steve

Reaction score
The median expected salary for a typical Cashier - Grocery Store in the United States is $27,332.

entry level part time employees start at a little more than minimum wage.

Full time employees start at around $9.00 - $10.00 per hour and can go up to about $15.00 per hour depending on their experience and how long they have been with the company.

Department managers start at around $17.00 per hour.

Store managers start at around $19.00 per hour.

this is average.. and thanks to the union an overall majority are part time..

sadly even in the closed shop.. wages are pathetic..

Cashier
Shoprite Group Salaries average $7.99 low $7 high $10

Clerk

3 Shoprite Group Salaries average $8.67 low $8 high $10

Deli Clerk 2 Shoprite Group Salaries average $8.75 low $7 high $10

Looking for a job? See the latest Jobs in Atlantic City

Service Clerk 2 Shoprite Group Salaries average $8.79 low $8 high $10

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Shoprite-Group-Hourly-Pay-E35477.htm

why haven't unions raised the wages in closed shop grocery stores?

[/quote]

Oh, but just the threat of unionization will cause them to recieve a higher wage and benefit package! :roll:

Anyone need a link?

Why haven't unions raised the wages everywhere?

The middle class would be able to afford more, if their wages were raised.

:roll:

If we increased the price of everything, and taxes are a %, wouldn't the government be deficit free?

If wages were raised, won't the stores have to raise their prices to pay the additional costs???

BUT, how should wages be set? Shouldn't the amount of income and employee brings in for the store, or amount of product made by and employee, amount of income generated for the business, have something to do with wages of the employees?

mrj

Yes mrj they would.
I work as a cashier/stocker full time. I won't tell you my wage just say it is above $8 and below $9

Now this is a small mom and pop store and they are worried about raising prices due to obummer care and the inflation of everything.

mrj said:
If wages were raised, won't the stores have to raise their prices to pay the additional costs???

BUT, how should wages be set? Shouldn't the amount of income and employee brings in for the store, or amount of product made by and employee, amount of income generated for the business, have something to do with wages of the employees?

mrj

I hope every working person goes to the site Steve linked and I hope they can average numbers.

Mrj. Your 2nd paragraph: If the output of the employee can be objectively measured-then by all means pay them more this doesn't mean you pay ther others less which are also doing their job or they would have already been replaced. Key words "objectively measured".

I Luv Herfrds said:
Yes mrj they would.
I work as a cashier/stocker full time. I won't tell you my wage just say it is above $8 and below $9

Now this is a small mom and pop store and they are worried about raising prices due to obummer care and the inflation of everything.

Now if your were unionized, they couldn't get rid of you for being a grumpy old coot, but the non-unionized grocery store down the road gains more business, because their employees are always cheerful and such, because they get a bit of commish.

does that store "down the road" and their employees make more money?

Ask OT, if he would rather sit in front of a "grump' bartender, or one that puts a smile on her face everyday, and deals with the negative clientele that sits in front of her.

I wonder which bartender makes more money, in "commish"/tips.

hypocritexposer said:
I Luv Herfrds said:
Yes mrj they would.

Now if your were unionized, they couldn't get rid of you for being a grumpy old coot, but the non-unionized grocery store down the road gains more business, because their employees are always cheerful and such, because they get a bit of commish.

Ask OT, if he would rather sit in front of a "grump' bartender, or one that puts a smile on her face everyday, and deals with the negative clientele that sits in front of her.

I feel for you. I wish all the cashiers across america could be unionized but I know it probably isn't going to happen. Until then take advantage of gov't entitlements just like the corporations do and try to get a better job in the future. Best of luck!

TSR said:
hypocritexposer said:
I Luv Herfrds said:
Yes mrj they would.

I feel for you. I wish all the cashiers across america could be unionized but I know it probably isn't going to happen. Until then take advantage of gov't entitlements just like the corporations do and try to get a better job in the future. Best of luck!

I have a bit to add to this.

SD is a Right-to-work State. Montana is not. Here, when you go into
an eating establishment, the waitress might throw the menu at you.
We have actually had a waitress tell us to 'hurry up and order'.
In SD, those waitresses bend over backward, because they want and need
their tip. It is like difference between night and day.

Not saying there aren't some good waiters/waitresses in Montana.
Of course there are.
I'm comparing this oil boom town where help is hard to get and waiters/waitresses get paid well to SD. We basically wait to go out and eat when we are out of town.

Faster horses said:
TSR said:
hypocritexposer said:

I have a bit to add to this.

SD is a Right-to-work State. Montana is not. Here, when you go into
an eating establishment, the waitress might throw the menu at you.
We have actually had a waitress tell us to 'hurry up and order'.
In SD, those waitresses bend over backward, because they want and need
their tip. It is like difference between night and day.

Not saying there aren't some good waiters/waitresses in Montana.
Of course there are.
I'm comparing this oil boom town where help is hard to get and waiters/waitresses get paid well to SD. We basically wait to go out and eat when we are out of town.

FH I understand. When my wife and I were first married in the early 70's she and her mother were waitresses at the same restaurant. My job required me to be at work at 7:30, getting off at 5 pm. M-Fri and Saturdays from 7:30 to noon. I was a mechanic. My wife only worked Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays 'til noon and she made more than I made. :roll: I was making $80/wk. and was glad to get it at the time.

Traveler said:
Oh, but just the threat of unionization will cause them to recieve a higher wage and benefit package! :roll:

Anyone need a link?

not true.. they have been unionized for a long time now..

actual value of the wages has gone down.. (inflation)

benefits have been cut and are continually eroding.

and most are now part time workers to avoid paying for the benefits that are offered..

starting pay is at min wage.. and after 6 months you must either join the union.. or be fired.. closed shop.

at six months, you can buy benefits and are not able to work past 28 hours a week. and to top it off you get the privilege of belonging to a union.. (or a pay cut).

so fine liberal friends of the unions.. how is the union helping the grocery store workers?

mrj said:

mrj

actually at grocery stores the staff is paid low "because" of the unions..

the contracts protect the old workers, who were pre-union.. those workers have now all retired.. but the rules haven't.

the payoff was paid for by new workers not getting decent pay but benefits being saved for the "full time" workers.. now all workers are part time.. and get no real benefits

when the stores went from mom and pop chains to corporate owned,.. the pensions were raided and most retirement age workers took the payout.. most pension raids were more then the chain acquisition costs..
over time the chains became owned by a few very profitable corporations. ..

and profits are good,.. not only for the corporate owner, but the unions as well..

Over the past five years, no retailer or wholesaler has been able to navigate the overcrowded recessionary waters better

Declares Special and Regular Quarterly Dividends, Crushes Earnings Estimates

a few headlines show they are doing well... while wages and hours drop off..

I Luv Herfrds said:
Yes mrj they would.

they are not better in corporate stores.. that is why I posted the actual wages from a store that is a closed shop union.

to show that wages are not better.. but actually worse.

and the hours are basically required to be below 28 a week..

add in they pay union dues..

Obamacare will force most employers to cut staff and adopt the 28 hour week rule,.. just as the unions did decades ago..

TSR said:
I hope every working person goes to the site Steve linked and I hope they can average numbers.

Why

so why look at the chart? cause the pay is awful.. but that doesn't tell the whole story..

the store is one I worked at

one my wife worked at..

several of our friends work there overall it is a nice chain of stores and a fairly decent place to work..

on the downside, the pay is awful

the benefits are non existent

and you can only be hired as part time

you can not get more the 28 hours per week.

and it is cut even more in the winter.

oh ya,.. and they bring in foreign workers on J1 visas to staff it in the summer who get as many hours as they want..

so why look at the chart? cause the pay is awful..

TSR said:

Why

I hope they can average numbers.

the average is a statistical average not a 5th grade average..

it takes into account the wages paid to each worker.. and shows a low and high.

for instance.. 8.85 is not the average for $7 to $10

Looking at the number of workers earnings the grade school average would be 8.5.. but clearly several more workers must be making above the average then below the average. not many,.. but enough to make the statistical average more

the sad truth is that workers at this chain of corporate owned grocery store start at min wage,.. and only see a moderate wage increase to $10 in their career. in a high cost state and area.

I feel for you. I wish all the cashiers across america could be unionized but I know it probably isn't going to happen

why it doesn't do any good .. the unions haven't done anything for the grocery store cashiers, clerks stock-person or any of the other ..

the only ones the unions helped is corporate owners and themselves..

So Steve without the unions, the wages/benefits would be better???? Looking at the chart and reading employee comments its easy to see that you must gain full time status to garner many benefits. Those on the entry level jobs would primarily be part time. Is this the union's fault, can the union override the law?? BTW there are unions and there are unions not all are equal in their fervor to help employees. My mom worked 37 yrs in a textile factory--her retirement check--$90 month. My Dad worked 18yrs in an automotive assembly plant and did much better even though he died before he drew much of his retirement. I guess as a corporation you can hire as many part time employees as you want and let them all get gov't entitlements as a result of their low wages.

The funny part about this store is I have people complain to me about the prices. Only store within 20+ miles to the east, no stores to the west 30+ miles to the south and 40 miles to the north. These people would rather drive over 30 miles to shop at wally world rather then locally.

Hypo I have my own selection of customers who wait to have me wait on them because I always have a smile for them no matter how bad of a day I am having.

I did talk to the owner as to why they were having such a hard time filling a part time position. Simple and easy.
The people applying want to have the wages without doing the work. Yes I have seen these people and I would not want them waiting on me either.

Latest posts