• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

wild hog problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ramiro s said:
gosh man why dont you let hunters like me and my father kill them
Maybe because a lot of us have figured out that having hog hunters is worse than having hogs. :lol:

Texan said:
ramiro s said:
Maybe because a lot of us have figured out that having hog hunters is worse than having hogs. :lol:

Many years ago, my uncle had some school land leased that had a nice little fishing pond on it. An older lady from town liked to go out and fish, but she had a bad habit of opening the gate, leaving it lay down while she fished, and then not remembering to shut the gate when she headed back to town. My uncle grew tired of these shenanigans so he locked the gate. One day she accosted him in town, and lamented, "Looks like you would have a key to give to people like me so we could fish in your pond." My uncle replied, "If it wasn't for people like you I wouldn't have to lock the gate." This lady was a heck of a good honky tonk piano player, and she could bounce around on the bench just as good as JoAnn Castle. :wink: :)

Down here there are many idiots who want to bring their pit bull to see what he can do. We don't like that. If you are going to catch a hog then catch him and don't torture him. Just get it over with and move on.
Another thing: The next thing you know a fellow that you let hunt hogs on your place has bragged about it at work and then he invites another person, and another, and soon you have all these big mouths crawling over your place telling everyone near and far what they saw other than hogs.

Well im not sure if I should say this now. But I would love to go down to texas and shoot some hogs. If anyone needs some help gettin rid of a few just let me know!!!!

A few of my buddies and I are looking for some places in SE Colorado that have wild hog problems. We would be willing to come down a couple times a year and help thin out or remove the problem. From what I understand the meat is pretty tasty and we would be willing to share if there are any ranchers in need of some help.

I am looking to take my son hog hunting. We live in Victoria,Tx. I am a former L.E. officer and ranch in Victoria. We don't have any hogs on our place and am looking to let him hunt. If you are looking for someone responsible to help take care of some of the pests, let me know. Will take care of the property as if it were mine. Take what we shoot. Thanks. [email protected]

I know many of you have had bad experience with "hog hunters" but I want to throw this out there.

I have hog dogs, I was born and raised on a farm and ranch in Artesia NM, dad was a game warden, and I know how to truly take care of land "as if it were mine".

I would love to come hunt on anyones property. I admit that I will run off more hogs than I will kill, but if the hogs realize that there are dogs threatening them, then you will have a better chance of keeping them away for a longer period of time.

My dogs do not look at cows, horses, sheep, or deer. I have references from both high fence and low fence ranch owners that have anywhere from 300 to 32000 acres and they will vouch that my dogs have helped them control their problem. I also ask that all landowners or a landowners representative come along with me on the hunt so they can see that I am a man of my word.

If anyone is interested or will give me a shot please call me at 817-240-4503, email at [email protected] (yes I have a college degree and work for a community bank now), or shoot me a message on this site.

Blake Fanning

The county govt . was debating whether to keep $5K in the budget for hog control in south county. Hogs are tearing up wheat. I don't recall the outcome.

I was near Corpus last Nov. Going south I only saw 1 or 2 hogs. Wrong time of day, I'm sure.

How has the drought affected the wild hog population?

I would think that they might be easier to kill now but then they might also be causing more damage as well!

As far as hunters are concerned you need to manage ( control ) them as with any other tool - - - I have the same groups of hunters that have been coming for close to 30 years - - but I established ground rules on day one!

DNR knows that anyone hunting my property that does not have one of my signed business cards with a note giving permission in my hand writing on the back is not legal and they will arrest - - - the hunters all know each other and will call me if there is a problem.

Same with fishing in one of my ponds - - - by having this they all police each other and teat my property very well.

I was reading about your problem you have. Depending on you is how long it will take for my brother and me to removal all your hogs. We can remove them by dogs,traps,or guns thats your choice. We can be there as soon as your ready! The price of each head is depending on how far you are from us ranging from $10 to $50. call or tx 832 738 2508 or 9798242925

Hi! My name is Cory Stotts. I am currently serving in the Air Force here in San Antonio. Myself and a couple friends have been really looking for a place to hunt hogs. In all the reading I have done, the hogs are a huge problem. Usually if things are a problem they need to be fixed. I understand the idea of charging to hunt these hogs, but some of the prices are a lil far fetched for my wallet. Is there anyway to hunt problem hogs for free? I am free every weekend and would love the chance to hunt hogs all weekend, especially if it helps. I know I cant take all of em out, but would sure love to get my fair share of them! If anyone knows anything, please help! Thanks!

I live up in North Dakota and go to school up at UND. Me and one of my roomates have always wanted to hunt hogs and it sounds like you guys have a real problem. Would any of you who have a hog problem allow a couple guys to come shoot some for a few days?

marksmu said:
I shoot every one I see. First thing I do every Saturday when I show up to work at the ranch is hop on the gator, grab a 270, a shotgun, and a pistol, and my friend does the same while riding along with me....

We drive the fences/cross fences over 800 acres and check for holes in the fence and pigs. We usually kill 2-6 in the hour it takes to drive the fences. We use the 270 for the long shots, and when we see a big group, we run buckshot in the shotguns and try to get in close....knock down as many as possible, then come back for the kill.

Last weekend we dropped a 400+lb sow with about 12 piglets on her. We got 4 piglets with the sow that went the wrong direction....the other 8 got away...along with the boar. Without their momma, the coyotes will make quick work of the piglets. We always aim for the sow over the boar.

Hello Marskmu,

My Dad, my brother, and I are looking to go hog hunting this winter/spring. Sounds like you have hog problems, so would you be interested in us coming down for a few days and killing some of your hogs?

Let me know if you do!

Thanks,
David

We take the carcasses and drag them down to where the alligators are grouped up on the shoreline, and toss em over to the gators. 4 hours later there isnt a body to be seen, but there are alot of happy gators.

I shoot group after group after group, and it does not impact anything. The next weekend another group replaces the one I obliterated the weekend before. All you can do is keep on killing em. I keep a feeder full of corn just to make picking them off easier for us. We keep the area around the feeder mowed down for about 300 yards in every direction. Makes for easy targets.

We use to have tons of wild hogs, but since the drought I haven't seen any of them. :D The funny thing is we are locate right on the Trinity river and I would have thought more of them.

I know this thread is kind of old, but if you need help with hogs I'd love the opportunity to come shoot a couple of them. I live in OKC but can't find any on the public lands close by. I'm willing to come shoot a few on your land if you'll let me. Send me an email at [email protected] if I can help out.

Texan said:
ramiro s said:
And after this was posted how many one hit wonders ask for a place to hog hunt? Looks like hog hunters fit right in with deer hunters here.

jedstivers said:
Texan said:
ramiro s said:
And after this was posted how many one hit wonders ask for a place to hog hunt? Looks like hog hunters fit right in with deer hunters here.

Turkey hunters are pretty close to the same category around here.

Latest posts