• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wild land fires

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
We have been in a red flag fire warning for several days, and no relief in sight. Yesterday, near Karval, Co about 25 miles away, they had a bad one that our dept went on. The news said it burned about 8 square miles. Lincoln County estimated about 20,000 acres (thats about 30 sections). It burned one bridge, and damaged another. Lost a barn and some vehicles. One set of trucks got ahead of the fire, but couldn't stay ahead, so they just bunched up and wet as much grass arount them as they could and let the fire burn around. No one hurt, but our firemen got home around 2:00 A.M. the fire started around 3 or 4 I would guess. Some croaky voices today. Must have been 8 or 9 departments there, from as far away as Colorado Springs. They had more problems keeping fuel for vehicles than water!

Another fire south of us burned thousands of acres on an Army storage sight for dangerous chemicals, but no danger to storage facilities, and no grazing on that land, so no loss of feed, just a source of dirt to blow.

A big fire southeast of Denver made a lot of people evacuate, and it is an area of horse people, so lots of horses being hauled out of harms way. I didn't hear how much land it burned. No houses or people or stock hurt.

We need some moisture.

Oh if only I could send you some of ours....

But I just looked at the NOAA 3 month forecast- and they are saying this pattern of lower than normal temps and above normal moisture following along the Canadian border will hold thru April, May, and June...
This is the stuff that usually goes south of us- and doesn't move back in til about June....

Oldtimer said:
Oh if only I could send you some of ours....

But I just looked at the NOAA 3 month forecast- and they are saying this pattern of lower than normal temps and above normal moisture following along the Canadian border will hold thru April, May, and June...
This is the stuff that usually goes south of us- and doesn't move back in til about June....

I hate to complain about too much moisture because the alternative is worse but I would gladly share to help your fire situation. 37000 acres burned in Stanton county in southwest Kansas Tuesday not too far from some of my in-laws.
Got another weather system going south of us across southern MT right now. We're forecast to get another 1-3" of snow tonight and tomorrow. I haven't seen this much snow on the ground this time of year since maybe the late 60's or early 70's.
Be careful and stay safe.

I guess its that La Nina effect. I'm hearing the same thing about it holding for the next few months at least. :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm tired of drought, but not sure I'm ready for the kind of floods some are having. I guess I'd gritch if it was too wet, too cold, too dry, too hot, or just perfect for too long. Some are never satisfied....... :roll: :roll: :roll: Thanks for the reenforcement in prayer!

Shortgrass:

Did you get any of that snow/moisture that just went thru?

Did it make any difference in the fire outlook?

Hope all is good and you and your family stays safe.

bart. †

bverellen said:
Shortgrass:

Did you get any of that snow/moisture that just went thru?

Did it make any difference in the fire outlook?

Hope all is good and you and your family stays safe.

bart. †

It was foggy if that counts! :) Fog does reduce the fire danger, but would sure welcome some ground moisture.

Latest posts