• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wildy Wrabbit

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
If Elmer Fudd was a rodeo cowboy then a buckle bunny would be a wildy wrabbit.

Can any of you recall the first time you heard this term?

I can't recall in my 71 years being around ranching, rodeo, and living in the rural wild west, of ever hearing the term "buckle bunny" until the internet. Maybe it was just a term the guys used when no female ears were in hearing distance. It does seem "cowboys" back then were sure more respectful around women than they are today. It seems to me that only the arrogant wanna-be rodeo cowboys today like to brag about being stalked by buckle bunnies. It is a credential builder. I mean all these sexy garment unencumbered girls want this cowboy for the buckle he hasn't won yet. (ahem ahem) I confess that when I first heard this term, I had to look it up and found it in the URBAN dictionary where it was listed as common rodeo jargon.

I recently met a buckle bunny. It was in Pendleton, Oregon the home of the famous Roundup. For those that don't know, Pendleton is a "cowboy" town year around. Even in the off-season, you can't stroll the streets without seeing "Let er Buck."

A friend (skilled mounted rodeo parade waver) and I decided to eat at an out-of-the-way pizza joint hoping to escape cowboy this and cowboy that at every turn. We noticed pink and blue colored hair tattooed nose ringed college kids going in so we thought, "aw no cowboy **** in here." We entered and joined the line that quickly grew behind us. We noticed the walls were decorated with former roundup cowboy memorabilia. We opted for the "Vaquero" which was just a taco-style pizza. Their combination called "Let er Buck" had too many hard-to-digest meats for an old smooth mouth like me. My friend is lucky to be just a broken mouth at her old age but also suffers digestive problems. After my friend sat, the only seat left next to her was under some old smelly chaps. Waiting for our pizza, we downed a pitcher of "Happy Canyon" locally brewed beer. While I drink rarely and sporadically, it was, after all, happy hour, so my participation seemed to bring happiness even though we weren't in the canyon.

I called the young purple-haired lady tagged as management and dressed in short frayed jean shorts, belted and fastened with a large rodeo buckle with her boobs minimally restrained, displayed by her revealing top, over to point out the weevils were working the old pair of chaps as evident by the crumbs that had fallen on the skirting boards that created a small ledge around the old barn wood that covered the bottom four feet of the wall. She said she would take it up with higher management. I thought, "yeah of course you will." I was thankful for my internet rodeo education because now I could label her correctly, and even though she may have been a real deal rodeo rider, she was in my opinion, as indicated by her belt fastener, lack of concern for sanitation, and skimpy costume, a "buckle bunny."

Photo at age 69. Once I turned 70, I quit
wearing lower cut tops and now wear high
neck sleeveless tops exclusively. I still wear
sleeveless tops because I am exercising
my right to bare arms and won't be guilty
of self-infringement.
23142533EfRwZPT1.jpg

Last edited:
I am just slightly younger than you. I never heard the term back when I was seriously riding in rodeos. It was probably in the late 80's maybe early 90's when I first heard it. Back in the 70's when I was going we thought that girls who wanted to hang out with us cowboys were just real friendly. I do recall some of the local guys taking offense to the girls being friendly with the rodeo cowboys. This led to them attempting to show the women how they were tougher than the cowboys. I have no idea if the women were impressed. I know that I wasn't.

I am just slightly younger than you. I never heard the term back when I was seriously riding in rodeos. It was probably in the late 80's maybe early 90's when I first heard it. Back in the 70's when I was going we thought that girls who wanted to hang out with us cowboys were just real friendly. I do recall some of the local guys taking offense to the girls being friendly with the rodeo cowboys. This led to them attempting to show the women how they were tougher than the cowboys. I have no idea if the women were impressed. I know that I wasn't.
I can only speak for myself and say I was very unimpressed when a local guy would pick a fight with a circuit cowboy because some of us single girls enjoyed talking with them. I think some guys never realized that most women don't care who can deliver the hardest punch, but rather who has the best heart.

I can only speak for myself and say I was very unimpressed when a local guy would pick a fight with a circuit cowboy because some of us single girls enjoyed talking with them. I think some guys never realized that most women don't care who can deliver the hardest punch, but rather who has the best heart.
It was nearly a weekly thing back then. The LEO and courts have sort of put and end to that sort of thing. Which is both good and bad.

I was trying to remember who got cut with a beer bottle at the Bengough Stampede back in the day. It was a PRCA rodeo just after Calgary so it got some top hands. I don't remember if it was a local, a cowboy or a clown acquired a big scar on his neck

I was trying to remember who got cut with a beer bottle at the Bengough Stampede back in the day. It was a PRCA rodeo just after Calgary so it got some top hands. I don't remember if it was a local, a cowboy or a clown acquired a big scar on his neck
Glad to see you are posting. It's been awhile.

Had my thyroid out Tuesday morning.
It was down in my chest, they got it out from behind my collar bone. Still got my voice just on light duty for a bit more.
YIKES!! That doesn't sound like much fun. How long did they keep you in the hospital?

Our daughter had emergency appendectomy Tuesday the 7th. She was really sore for a couple of weeks. afterward. It was close to perforating so glad she went in, even though she had to drive herself an hour to the ER. She never told us until she was in the hospital. They operated on her about 3 pm. We went to get her as she was released about 6 pm that same day and needed a ride home. They sure don't keep a person very long. We went for pain meds and all the pharmacies closed at 6 pm. We were a little after 6 pm so she went home with no pain pills.

Hope you heal up fast!!! Glad that is behind you!!!

Sorry to hear about
Had my thyroid out Tuesday morning.
It was down in my chest, they got it out from behind my collar bone. Still got my voice just on light duty for a bit more.
Sorry to hear such, but glad you had it fixed. Nothing wrong with a light voice as long as you aren't tip-toeing through the turnips. No wait, that was tulips. Never mind just carry a big stick. :)

YIKES!! That doesn't sound like much fun. How long did they keep you in the hospital?

Our daughter had emergency appendectomy Tuesday the 7th. She was really sore for a couple of weeks. afterward. It was close to perforating so glad she went in, even though she had to drive herself an hour to the ER. She never told us until she was in the hospital. They operated on her about 3 pm. We went to get her as she was released about 6 pm that same day and needed a ride home. They sure don't keep a person very long. We went for pain meds and all the pharmacies closed at 6 pm. We were a little after 6 pm so she went home with no pain pills.

Hope you heal up fast!!! Glad that is behind you!!!
I was just in over night, probably could have stayed another day but felt pretty good and wanted to be home in my own bed. It's stiffened up a but but who knows what they did getting it out. Just part of the healing process.

Latest posts