• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Will Border Opening Hurt w/Japan?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Japan has said in the past that they do not want Canada beef in the mix with U.S. beef (paraphrasing) for import.

Will the border opening help or hurt our chances with Japan?

That was in the past when the US pretended they didn't have BSE. Now, Japan won't import from Canada for fear of it being contaminated with US tainted beef.

redriver said:
That was in the past when the US pretended they didn't have BSE. Now, Japan won't import from Canada for fear of it being contaminated with US tainted beef.

And of course you can back that up with something besides biased conjecture?

Mike said:
redriver said:

It's quite simple. Canada has demonstrated much better diligence in their bse surveilance plan. The US has the most recent case of BSE. Japan has been in discussions with Canada about resuming trade, but Canada still allows imports of US bse tainted beef, therefore they will see the risk that any imports from Canada could contain some of that infected US beef.
The US continues to fail in that their feed plants continue to get caught breaking the rules, and Texas can't trace their cattle with any accuracy.
It's pretty clear that Japan won't be interested in importing any US beef for a long, long while.

redriver said:
Mike said:
redriver said:

It's quite simple. Canada has demonstrated much better diligence in their bse surveilance plan. The US has the most recent case of BSE. Japan has been in discussions with Canada about resuming trade, but Canada still allows imports of US bse tainted beef, therefore they will see the risk that any imports from Canada could contain some of that infected US beef.
The US continues to fail in that their feed plants continue to get caught breaking the rules, and Texas can't trace their cattle with any accuracy.
It's pretty clear that Japan won't be interested in importing any US beef for a long, long while.

I'll acthept thith ath a "becauths I thsaid tho", and file it accordingly. :heart:

What part of "THE JAPS ARE SCREWING WITH US DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND???? I beleive their has been more BSE in JApan than the US and Canada combined! Where do these RIce burners get off??? I say let them go to hell!

CattleCo said:
What part of "THE JAPS ARE SCREWING WITH US DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND???? I beleive their has been more BSE in JApan than the US and Canada combined! Where do these RIce burners get off??? I say let them go to hell!

The NCBA said you lost $175 per head last year from the market being closed. That is the same as each and every one of us writing a check for $175 per head and mailing it to Australia every year. No difference.

Mike said:
Japan has said in the past that they do not want Canada beef in the mix with U.S. beef (paraphrasing) for import.

Will the border opening help or hurt our chances with Japan?

You seem to have forgotten that they said that before they closed your exports do to a BSE discovery within the US borders. Since that Dec Cow Japan has seen the risk of beef from the US the same as the risk from Canada, that is why you lost your export market. So as long as the testing and SRM removal rules are followed why should it matter where the beef was born. They also said that we were to go home work things out between our two countries and then come back and sell them North American Beef. These are the exact words one of the men that went to Japan in Jan 2004 was told by the Japanese delegation. But you are stuck on the Idea that they won't take your beef if ours is mixed in that you can't see what else they have said. :roll:

Latest posts