• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

willow creek forage winter wheat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

littlejoe said:
anyone interested, Ben and Family are straight shooters---

Hodgskiss Seed

Ben Hodgskiss

Box 1445
Choteau, MT 59422

ph 406-466-5553 fx 406-466-5554

email [email protected].

Interesting. We used to buy registered black angus cows from Hodgkiss brothers at Choteau. We really liked those guys, but I don't recall a Ben, though. They only had so much pasture and would sell
off cows every third year. We were buying those cows and they worked really well for us. One year they came to see them and remarked they did better at our place than they did at theirs!! Don't know if that was true or not (probably not :p ) but anyhow, the guys were good and the cows were good. Now, I remember, one of the brothers name was Bob. Is that the
same family as Ben? I do recall they had a seed plant along with their registered cattle. What would the other brothers name have been?

We are interested in this variety of winter wheat. M.r FH thinks we will try it.
I'll talk to the other fella that thought about planting winter wheat as well.

Thanks so much for bringing it up!! The people on this site have helped us out, many, many times with ideas, reviews, etc. We so appreciate each and every one of you!

Ya, it's a neat site---seems like no matter how busy we are we take time to bs the neighbors--which can be quite productive and is good for the soul. You're welcome.

We drilled on their home place, maybe 1980, a wildcat for occidental pet, if memory serves. Dry hole, P & A--but that area is hot again, all the way from Canadian line to wolf creek so guess we'll see.

Anyway----Lloyd was dad of Bob and Jim. Lloyd was on home place then, bob and jim took over, then separated as familys grew. Jim got the cows and is county commissioner. Bob lives down the road, his kids involved are ben and bill, ben bosses the seed plant, bill the farming. Good folks--Very good folks.

littlejoe said:
Ya, it's a neat site---seems like no matter how busy we are we take time to bs the neighbors--which can be quite productive and is good for the soul. You're welcome.

We drilled on their home place, maybe 1980, a wildcat for occidental pet, if memory serves. Dry hole, P & A--but that area is hot again, all the way from Canadian line to wolf creek so guess we'll see.

Anyway----Lloyd was dad of Bob and Jim. Lloyd was on home place then, bob and jim took over, then separated as familys grew. Jim got the cows and is county commissioner. Bob lives down the road, his kids involved are ben and bill, ben bosses the seed plant, bill the farming. Good folks--Very good folks.

Yep, Jim was the one I couldn't think of. Thanks!

I just called to get a price on seed and they don't have a price yet.
Do you recall what the price was last year? Just trying to get an idea.
How many bushels to the acre do you plant? There could be several of us interested in trying this variety of winter wheat.

nortexsook said:
Any information on if this "wheat" is adapted to the southern plains?

http://www.theprairiestar.com/news/crop/willow-creek-winter-wheat-produces-good-nutritious-forage/article_02a70b2a-5ed0-5f9a-b662-a5eeda7d489c.html

You might try getting ahold of these folks from the experiment station- or talking to a county agent and have them check with these guys on adaption for areas...

We are hoping to have quite a bit of seed for sale (probably sell to/thru local seedhouse) too... One of the problems with combining the stuff (which makes the seed pricey- $10 a bushel) is it cracks easily- and last year the neighbor had about a 10% across the field loss just from combining it...

Faster horses said:
littlejoe said:

Yep, Jim was the one I couldn't think of. Thanks!

I just called to get a price on seed and they don't have a price yet.
Do you recall what the price was last year? Just trying to get an idea.
How many bushels to the acre do you plant? There could be several of us interested in trying this variety of winter wheat.

I've never grown it.

Might this fall.

Neighbors brag it up.

Hodgekiss's grow as much of the seed they sell as they can---are good farmers and i'm pretty sure they'd share any info---

We are thinking about planting something like this, this fall. Something we can take off early and plant a sorgum or millet as soon as we take it off in the spring if the moisture is decent. I am not sure, but I think this is the winter wheat that Felton Angus planted on their irrigated ground and chopped this year and got 17 ton to the acre. Any idea how it will do on dry land and on sandy ground?

This willow creek is a terrific forage producer but it has to be handled right to make good feed. Like most grain crops that is to be fed without a lot of feed preparation it must be cut at heading out. athe pllant will have all the nutrition at this time and palitability is excelent. There is a lot of straw and will be just that if it gets to close to maturity. Guys I'm no good at spelling so sorry

Latest posts