• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

willow creek winter wheat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

littlejoe

Reaction score
mine is about ready to cut, just starting to head.

comparable to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4F_FnjkxvE

I had one neighbor tell me that his regrew and made good grazing--and even overwintered, almost acting like a perennial.

I was planning on hitting it with roundup and seeding millet. but if it'll make some more feed, that'll work for me.

this is the first yr I've grown it, or even seen it. it's on heavy clay flood irrigated ground. Any input welcome. Thanks.

I planted some and it produced lots of tonnage. One problem is that the cows didn't really like it. It was the last thing ate and they just picked through it. That was rolling out large round bales on the ground. We ended up grinding a lot of it to feed back grounded calves. A neighbor had the same experience as us. Neither one of us will probably plant it again. We also put it up really green so quality wasn't the problem. Protein was mediocre also, if I remember correctly around 7%.

Nicky said:
How are the nitrate levels?

I'll check---havn't had any trouble with oats or barley, if I cut late in the day and make sure sun's been shining for last couple days. Did a drill mix and 30#N 3# S this spring, so not too aggressive. This country, a little sulphur shows lotsa results.

And for an experiment, put on a growth regulator 'rize up smart grass' on this with the weed spray, also on the grass hay. About 5 bucks an acre. Anybody try this or something similar?

Latest posts