• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wilson Trailers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
Thanks to the reviews on Ranchers.net, we're considering ordering a Wilson Aluminum trailer:

http://www.wilsontrailer.com/gooseneck/Ranch%20Hand/index.html#

Before we make a final decision, are there any bad things we need to know about these trailers, AND which options would you suggest we go with?

Thanks for any advice! :D

The Waldorf has the Foreman model and I haven't seen anything about it I don't like. It was hard to back up yesterday but that was the loose nut behind the wheel lol. Anybody I know who has one likes it.

things went just fine with the trailer once you got all the bells and whistles figured out on the end gate. I sure liked the partitions. Only hole I have is that a short person can check the load. no lip along the side to walk on.

good choice :nod:

go with a 24 footer, 3 compartments, sliding rear door(vs. roll up) and you'll be a happy camper :D

canadian angus said:
Be sure to have sliding doors on all dividing doors. I have in front one and wish I had it on both doors. Escape door on drivers side is handy also.

CA
I disagree about a slider in the trailer. I have a folding door on the middle door of my 24' and can open it and stand behind it to let something out of the front two sections w/o danger. A slider on the back is better than a roll up IMHO, but fold backs are much safer in the trailer.

For those of us heathens that use quads that side ramp door in the front looks intriguing. Anyone I know who owns one likes the trailer.

my only complaints about the wilson foreman model are i wish they would have a gasket or rubber stoppers at the door closures so they didnt rattle so much and the back door hangs crooked in the slider track. I have a wilson flat deck too and it been real good.
:D

oh ya - I wish i would have got it taller too - to haul drafts :)

The only thing I don't like about mine is the bottom catch on the back door if you load in a low spot the bottom of the catch will either stick in the ground or will fill up with dirt and won't catch. mine also has a swing door in the center compartment which I do like. I do like the trailer.

WR We have had a Wilson trailer for about six years now and don't have a bad word to say about it. 7 by 24 is a nice size. We have a moveable divider gate in the front two compartments,we can adjust back and forth depending on what we are hauling,really nice for hauling cow calf pairs. I do disagree with the other posts on here about the roll up end gate it never freezes ,doesn't get bent or bowed so that it won't slide. After having the roll up gate I would not go back a slider. It is a little noisier tho. The fold down ramp is nice but I don't now if I use it enough to justify the cost. This is just my opinions so take them for what they are worth. Have a nice evening. :cboy:

Go for the roll up rear door. Our Featherlite had the slider door and we
had a roll-up door installed and wouldn't have the slider door back.

We had a Wilson and really liked it, except for some reason, the
model we had was too low to the ground. Check to make sure you
have enough clearance. I don't know why ours was low, very few are.
They are darn good trailers, I don't think you will regret getting
a Wilson.

Faster horses said:
Go for the roll up rear door. Our Featherlite had the slider door and we
had a roll-up door installed and wouldn't have the slider door back.

We had a Wilson and really liked it, except for some reason, the
model we had was too low to the ground. Check to make sure you
have enough clearance. I don't know why ours was low, very few are.
They are darn good trailers, I don't think you will regret getting
a Wilson.

Most likely had Torsion axels, you can order them with different angles I go a 10 degree up angle on all stock trailers that keep's it up about 16"s

Unless you will put calves in the nose think about a door accessed off the bed of the tow rig.

Handy for getting saddles & stuff out.

my only complaint about the roll up door on the back is the noise. it's a rattlin', bangin' SOB. but it does work pretty good :wink:

WyomingRancher said:
Thanks to the reviews on Ranchers.net, we're considering ordering a Wilson Aluminum trailer:

http://www.wilsontrailer.com/gooseneck/Ranch%20Hand/index.html#

Before we make a final decision, are there any bad things we need to know about these trailers, AND which options would you suggest we go with?

Thanks for any advice! :D

Wyoming Rancher, as much wind as you get in your area my recommendation would be for you to get a steel trailer. They are half the price, and half as likely to blow over in a wild Wyoming wind. We have a Titan that I really like. It pulls easily and quietly. It is 24' x 6'8" and has three 8' compartments. There are sliding doors on all the gates, so sorting can be done inside the trailer if necessary. A safety feature is that all inside doors can be released and opened from the outside. The floor is made from "rumber," which is tongue-and-groove planks manufactured from recycled tires. This floor should last forever. Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. :wink: :)

I have seen alum livestock and horse trailers blown off I-25 at Wheatland.
As a kid I had a home made open top 5ft wide trailer blown off I-25 at Glendo Wyoming.

As far as Wilson I love them however will those rivits stay in tact and I could not get my arms out of the trailer to use the excape doors and latches something rather important when working by yourself. I choose a Barrett becaus of that.
One needs to worry about the steel trailers rusting out and the replacemnt of the floors. Pine floors do not last very long. oak floors last a very long time

Latest posts