• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Windmill Questions (pics added)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusinTexas

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been working on getting an old windmill up and going lately. This is the first experience I have with one and I have a couple of questions. I'm not sure what brand the windmill is.

1) I understand how the brake functions and how the tail attaches but there is a chain that comes from the gearbox and I can see that it attaches to the tail and the other end is attached to a small rod in the gearbox but I don't really understand the function of this chain and rod.

2) Where is the best place to try to buy the actual pump parts that go into the well? I plan on putting it on an open curb well that is about 10' deep.

3) There is also a pipe down close to the bottom that extends into the middle of the windmill that pivots off of one of the uprights. My dad said he believes it was used to disengage and engage the tail from the ground but I dont know how to go about attaching it and what to attach it to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Dean Bennett has a lot of windmill parts, catalogs, etc.

But they are a bunch of jerks. I have bought pumps, windmill parts, etc from them for years and they know me by name.

But, last week I went into their store to pick up a pressure tank.

They asked me if I had an order - which I didn't because it had never been necessary. Anyway, I had to have an order. I whipped out my cell phone, called their 800 number. The guy in the next office answered the phone and I placed my order. Would be ready in 30 minutes, he said.

So the wife and I started to sit down and wait for our order. The SOB said we could not wait in the office since their new system was intended to keep people out of their waiting area. He did say we could stand in the parking lot, however.

Left and came back in half an hour and picked up our tank. I doubt that Dean Bennett will ever sell us anything again.

One thing I know for sure, is that your windmill is not an Aermoter. It might be a Dempster. That chain fastens to the tail, its purpose is to close or furl the mill. I think the other end is fastened to a rod or strap iron that is welded to the pipe that runs inside the mast pipe of the mill. The pump rod runs inside this pipe. This pipe is the one you are talking about, it should have a flare on the bottom end for a swivil that the shut off wire would fasten to. The pump rod would also have a swivil there.

If the tail spring and everything is set at the right tension and everything adjusted right it should control or shut down during a high wind. this is accomplished because the wheel doesnt quite set directly into the wind and wind pressure is stronger on the one side of the wheel. The brake needs to be adjusted just right, one problem with the Dempster was the brake engaged to soon and in time it wears the hub, then the wheel goes to pieces. Another problem with the Dempster was that the wheel arms are bolted to the hub, while on the Aermoter they are not. If these bolts become loose the wheel will soon go to pieces too.

The gearbox is stamped with Baker Manufacturing so I am assuming that is the brand of the complete windmill.

Here are some pics

As you can see I don't have the tail attached to it while it is on the ground

DSC01513.JPG

Here is a pic of the chain. As you can see it is attached to a small rod inside the gearbox while the other end currently is attached to nothing. I am assuming the loose end attaches to a slot on the tail.

DSC01510.JPG

DSC01506.JPG

Here are some pics of the pipe extending into the middle of the tower. As you can see it pivots on the post and has a wire loop that I am guessing you attach a line to but I don't know exactly how to attach said line to the top so that you can dissengage the mill from the ground.

DSC01505.JPG

DSC01503.JPG

DSC01502.JPG

The baker Mfg. Co. built the Moniter windmill. The one in your picture does not look like a Moniter. The Moniters I have seen had a all cast gearbox, looks like yours has a sheat metal cap. One of the points they advertised was that a rifle bullet could not penitrate the gear box. The David Bradley sold by Sears was also built by Baker, but it looked the same as the Moniter. I believe there is still a Moniter windmill set up for display at the Pine View nursing home in Valentine, I will have to look at it next time I drive by. Your windmill may have been built by Baker as a competitive lower priced mill.

From your picture, I think the pipe you are talking about was a add on lever instead of the original. The shut off wire was attached to the large loop, when this lever was pulled clear down and against the tower it passed center so held in place. There must be a swivel of some sort near the top of the mill connected to the rod and chain you talked about, where the shut off wire connects. There would also be some sort of a swivel device where the pump stick connects.

Baker Mfg. is still in busines I think, but they don't make windmills anymore. You should be able to find a cylinder somewhere. With your type of well a fairly large one would be good. If you could find the plunger and check valve you could make your own with a piece of smouth pipe. Soapweed explained how they work a few posts back. It works best if the cylinder is under water as then it will be self primed, but even if not it should be able to draw water up approx, 30 feet. (32 ft. at sea level).

Sorry for the late late late reply but maybe this will help someone. This is a Baker Mfg windmill, just a model earlier than you describe. It's called a Self-Oiling Baker but also referred to as a Hambone windmill because the cast iron does resemble a Hambone. I've rebuilt 3 of them. Not quit Aermotor quality but not bad. They probably sold for about 1/2 the price of an Aermotor.

QuixoteKid said:
Sorry for the late late late reply but maybe this will help someone. This is a Baker Mfg windmill, just a model earlier than you describe. It's called a Self-Oiling Baker but also referred to as a Hambone windmill because the cast iron does resemble a Hambone. I've rebuilt 3 of them. Not quit Aermotor quality but not bad. They probably sold for about 1/2 the price of an Aermotor.

I can't help you but I do hope you get a reply. There isn't much traffic here anymore, sadly.
Soapweed has a lot of windmills, I will let him know you have a question. Big Muddy Rancher might be able to help
you as well.
Good luck!

Faster horses said:
QuixoteKid said:

I can't help you but I do hope you get a reply. There isn't much traffic here anymore, sadly.
Soapweed has a lot of windmills, I will let him know you have a question. Big Muddy Rancher might be able to help
you as well.
Good luck!

I know little about windmills but enjoyed reading these old posts, miss the comradery we had on this site.
There was lots of knowledge here.

https://aermotorwindmill.com/products/windmills-and-pumps-of-the-southwest#:~:text=Windmills%20and%20Pumps%20of%20the%20Southwst%20Book%20was,of%20interest%20to%20the%20fan%20of%20western%20Americana. This is a good book with good illustrations and photos. Written by a windmiller and well man. A good how-to and a funny read as well.

Latest posts