• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Winner - Doors/Entrances

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Congrats go to Clarencen this week!!!! :D

scan0001-12.jpg

I really don't have any stoty about this old cellar, but it seems it would have it's own story to tell. I took this picture some years ago on an adbandened farmstead in Tripp County, South Dakota. I had no idea of who may haved lived there or when. To me the cellar told something of the people who may have lived there. I have no idea whether it was built for a root and vegitable cellar or a storm cellar, maybe both.

I have read several testononies for final proof of homesteads, many of them mention a cellar as one of the improvements they had placed on the land. This to me represents independance and a will to be self-sustaining and to be prepared for the un-expected.

When I took this picture I was on my way from Pierre, SD to Winner, SD. I stopped at this old farmstead thinking I might get some interesting pictures. There was an old house, sort of small and low. It had a wide dormer built on the south roof. It looked like it made have been an add on at one time. There was a delapitated barn, and a short concrete walk up to the house, along this walk there were iris still alive, that may have been planted years before The picture of the cellar was an after-thought.

Latest posts