• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

winner of branding w/o horses...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
Have MsSage tell ya'll about this photo:

Branding.jpg

THANKS for your votes
Took that about 4 years ago. The trip was a christmas present. It was set up by a local photography shop with prophoto. It was a ranch in Ok. They said as long we stayed out of the way ...well some did NOT and thats why they were still going at the last light. Really not sure if they finished ..they said they did~ but I still wonder.
I had gotten all the shoots I thought I wanted and went over to the fire to sit and those 2 guys started working around me I turned around and grabbed my camera and started shooting. This was the best.
I had 3 framed and sent to the 2 guys branding and the owner of the ranch.

I keep thinking I need to get a 12 x 18 and frame it.

I took a guy to a friends branding one spring. We would pull out a wagon and camp for several days until we got everything branded. We kept telling this guy to stay out of the way. "Oh, yeah, I will" was his reply. We get about 200 pairs pushed up to a gate and they stop! Get to looking around and here was good ol' photo Joe, right smack dab in the way. We finally got him moved and the cattle penned. He got some nice pictures, but I don't think it was worth it for the pain he was!

One of the pictures that he blew up and sent to us was of a bunch of us pushing the cattle thru' a gate. All of the dudes who were there were sure in the wrong spots and the good hands were doing all the work. We had photo evidence! I found that interesting! :lol:

Hired man's wife: PS: #2-A button down shirt, sure. But what's with the tie?!
Untitled-1.jpg

Okay – I'll explain the tie. The guy in the white shirt and tie is our oldest son. Now he doesn't ordinarily dress this nice to brand but this is a pretty high-toned branding. If you look carefully, you will note that the other cowboys in the picture also are wearing neckties, because this is the Hackamore Ranch's big branding and no one is allowed to either rope or wrestle unless properly attired.

This was taken later on in the morning. If I had taken the picture when they first started, you would also see a wide variety of costumes, more suited to a masquerade party than a cowboy function. We have had Santa Claus, Smurfs, go-go dancers, clowns, elves, golfers and ladies of the evening wrestling calves in their finest. Heck, one year the local vet even managed to set the tails of his tuxedo on fire when he backed too close to the branding stove!!

Here's another taken at the same time:
nohorses.jpg

That's the Big Boss Man himself in the blue shirt and black hat. His daughter is the cute girl in front with the white high school rodeo shirt on, the little cowboy in the green shirt, tan vest and black hat is my oldest grandson and the colorful fellow he is wrestling with, wearing the red outift that would only be considered normal clothing on a pimp in Chicago, is one of the best college bull doggers in this area.

Years ago, my husband's uncle cooked the beef in a pit barbecue while the late mother of the present owner fixed all the trimmings to feed upwards of a thousand people. One year two bus loads of high school band kids headed back to Rapid City from a trip to the Peace Gardens on the Canadian border stopped in to take pictures and eat beef and beans with us.

We don't have a whole lot of readily available entertainment out here in Harding County so we make our own.

By the way, MsSage – that is one cool picture you took.

Who can tell the story behind the two cute little cowboys cooking oysters?

Liberty Belle said:
Hired man's wife: PS: #2-A button down shirt, sure. But what's with the tie?!
Okay – I'll explain the tie. The guy in the white shirt and tie is our oldest son. Now he doesn't ordinarily dress this nice to brand but this is a pretty high-toned branding. If you look carefully, you will note that the other cowboys in the picture also are wearing neckties, because this is the Hackamore Ranch's big branding and no one is allowed to either rope or wrestle unless properly attired.

What a fun idea! 8)

Latest posts