• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Winner - Someone Dear to You

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
This one was mine.
Me-n-Grandaddy-sleepin.jpg

This is me and my Grandaddy.
From the minute I arrived, my grandaddy always had his arms outstretched ready to hold me. He raised 7 girls of his own, and had a total of 38 grandkids. There'd been a long lapse in "girl grandkids" (10 years or so) when I came along. We were inseperable. When I was 3 we moved into a house next door on my Grandparents place. I'd have breakfast at home, and then disappear. Mom would phone over to Grandma and Grandaddy's to see if I'd shown up over there. "Yeap" he'd say, "She's sittin here with me, drinkin Postum"
Grandaddy loved sittin in the porch swing. So.....bein's I sat with him alot, I have a real fondness for porch swings too. We'd sit for hours, it seemed like, and he'd tell me stories. Most of which I probably don't remember now. But ever now and then, somethin I read or see in a movie, will ring a bell. The biggest thing was when I watched the movie "FAr and Away".....about the Oklahoma land rush. The scene where they fired the guns and the people all took off on horses, wagons, etc . I got cold chills....and called my mom. My grandaddy was born in Indian Territory Oklahoma in 1894. I asked her, "Mom.....did grandaddy or his parents do the Land Rush in Oklahoma?" She said, "Yes they did, and he loved tellin that story to folks" So I just know while sittin on the porch swing at some point and time, he told me that story. Was just a really weird feelin I had when I seen it, in that movie.
I was only 5 years old when Grandaddy passed away. I remember his funeral like it was yesterday, standin graveside, with all the flowers and such. Cryin. I remember bein the last one standin there when it was time to leave, and my mom and grandma comin over and each takin one of my hands and walkin me away from his grave. Ahhhhh, the things I'd love to ask him about now, and the stories I wish I could remember.
When I was 7 we moved from Monahans to Lubbock. I'd aways been close to my Grandma, but come summer, I told mama, I wanna go spend the summer with Grandma. I spend the entire summer there....from the day school was out, till time to go home with just enough time to buy school supplies a couple days before it started up again. I did that every summer from age 7 until my freshman year in highschool when we moved back to Monahans. These two people had such an influence on my life. From my yearnings to own cattle, to my quilt making. It all came from them.
A lil story bout my Grandaddy:
He was engaged to be married to another woman. (I have several letters she'd wrote him along with a few valentine cards(them old victorian ones). He met my Grandma in Texas, right before he was goin to California to buy a ranch there. (Death Valley, don't ask me why, I don't know LOL) But...this other woman lived in Oklahoma. They wrote letters back and forth. But he knew that he couldn't marry her. Instead of writing that in a letter, he rode his horse all the way from California to Oklahoma to tell her that he couldnt marry her, because he'd fell in love with my Grandma. I always thought, "What a gentleman" Most would have just written it in a letter and that woulda been the end of it" But not him, he made a point of tellin her in person. Boy am I glad he married my grandma. They Married November 19, 1919. He was 25 and she was a mere 15 years old.

:cry2: Lilly,that was such a nice tribute to your grampa,soumds like someone truly special.

I hope everyone posts they're stories about thier special person :)

Congratulations Lily. I enjoyed reading about your Granddaddy---the photo and story is a very nice tribute to him.

Photo #1 is the one I submitted. It is a photo of my son and he has two wonderful children--here is a little about him.
He was Chief Deputy Sheriff of Calhoun County—a rural county of 4 or 5000 people. He was running for Sheriff in the November 2006 election and no doubt he would of won by a landslide. But while on duty one day in June of 2006 he was hit head-on on a curve by someone that had been drinking and going approximately 85mph. He died two days later of massive injuries. I never left his side for those 2days-he never re-gained consciousness but I think he knew I was there for tears would trickle down his face from time to time. I knew he was well liked and respected as a person and a law enforcement officer but didn't realize how much until his funeral. The funeral director said he had been doing funerals for 35 years and never seen one like my son's. There was well over 200 officers-I lost track at 200- from local, to state to FBI-the procession was over 6 miles long of law enforcement flashing lights and 30 or so State Troopers on motorcycles leading and 30 or so Patriot Riders following. As someone said later-if your picture was hanging in the post-office, Brian's funeral was no place for you to be. One thing that showed how much he was liked and respected-- is that it was about 30 miles from the funeral home to the grave site and had to go thru 3 or 4 towns. In each town the citizens lined the street from one end of town to the other with hands over their hearts as Brian passed. In the rural areas people would be at the end of their driveways standing, tractors would be stopped in the fields- he was laid to rest with bagpipes playing Amazing Grace and a memorial was erected in front of the county court house.
He would tell me of many instances-one I would like to share. Just after dusk one nite while on patrol he came across a car weaving all over the road-He assumed the driver had been drinking and put on his lights to pull the vehicle over. It was an older gentleman in his 80's that had been to town to get groceries but time had gotten away from him. He wasn't suppose to drive after dark because he couldn't see at nite. So Brian got in front of him with his flashing lights on and had the gentleman follow him to his home. Once there, Brian proceeded to help the gentleman up his porch steps and then carried his groceries in the house for him and visited for 15 or 20 minutes. Brian never issued a ticket -just a good Samaritan deed. Brian was known all over the county for deeds like that-for stopping and visiting and for listening to people of what they had to say.
I have a website as a tribute to Brian that I add to from time to time that is up to 4 pages now of pictures and poems and things. if any one would like to visit and honor him and get to know him better.

www.tta-aussies.com/Brian/Brian.htm

Thank You for letting me write about him here.

I knew there was a reason I couldn't vote on this contest.
Everyone was special.
I did like the one of Lily and Gramps. he looked alot like Tams Grandpa.

I can see why your so proud of Brian. Nice tribute to on your site.

Very nice tribute to your son tta......we could use alot more lawmen like him everywhere. We are lucky here, we have a sheriff like that.
Thanks for enterin and sharin the photo, as well as sharin the stories about your son.

Thank you for posting the stories of these pictures.
Lilly I lost my grandfather two years ago, I was the oldest grandson so I got to spend a great deal of time with him. Its always nice to remember the stories he told. He told me of how he met my grandmother. Said he was at the lake cruisin with one of his buddies, they stopped at a mom and pop store and my grandma and a friend of hers were in the back of another guys pick-up. Grandpa says ya know if you girls ride with us we'll let you set up front. That was the begining of a beautiful relationship. I believe they were 19 and 17 when they married (I never did the math until after he was gone but from their wedding day til my moms birthday was less then nine months.) Were together through thick and thin until he passed.
TTA, Your son must have been a good officer and a good man. Wish there were more like him.

Congrats, Lilly! What a great photo you submitted!

So sorry about your son, tta...and your grandpa CE.

All the pictures were great, and I, too, would love to hear everyone's stories.

My photo was my son, Al, whom you all have seen pics of since I joined this group. Lately, he's been such a strength to me, he's my biggest fan. He's always been a special person to me, but lately it seems that I notice it more. I'd have to say he's the dearest person in my life right now.

Congradulations Lilly...wonderful story and a better memory for you! Also thanks for everyone else sharing tidbits of their special loved ones...I get all teary eyed reading some of them...

Now for my photo...It is my 91 yr. young g-ma and my 19 yr. old son...My g-ma has been my life forever, and she still lives by herself here on the ranch...she has seen and done it all...and trust me, she and g-pa may of been dirt poor, but they sure knew how to have a good time... :wink: Just like Lilly, I spent my summers with her and g-pa and those are the best childhood memories I have. As a kid I lived 250 miles away, but we always made it here for christmas, no matter what the weather. Who would of thought that I would end up moving up here 22 yrs ago? The best part is that my kid has had the privilage of growing up with his great g-ma, and they are so close...the bad part is, that she spoiled him way more than she ever spoiled me!..lol He got away with things as a young kid, that I would of gotten smacked for...Oh well...g-ma use to say that she probably wouldn't live to see him in highschool...then it was she wouldn't live to see him drive..but she was one of the first that he took for a ride...then it was graduation...and now college...heck I told her that she'll be around when he gets married..and that's a while off for sure...! She's not a tea toteing g-ma for sure...she could drink us all under the table in her day! This picture was taken this Thanksgiving...thanks for letting me share..

Jassy, Your Grandma is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Which I'm sure you already knew that, but she is. I just love lil ole grandma's......their eyes are really and truley windows to the soul. You can just tell how sweet she is in that picture. Not to mention what a good lookin son ya got.

(Mental note to self: DO NOT let Lil Lilly near this thread, she already wants to come visit ya'll............she might not ever return if she see's that) hehehehe

Thanks Lilly...g-ma may look like a sweet ole lady...but trust me...she's still an ornery cuss!

Awww...come on...I'd love to have Lil Lilly come up and visit...and my kid would be the perfect gentleman host... :wink:

Jassy said:
Thanks Lilly...g-ma may look like a sweet ole lady...but trust me...she's still an ornery cuss!

Awww...come on...I'd love to have Lil Lilly come up and visit...and my kid would be the perfect gentleman host... :wink:

Most of em are, that's what makes em so much fun to be around.

(I was talkin bout grannies......haha I typed that n re read it....and thought maybe you was thinkin I was referrin to gentleman hosts hehe.)

Latest posts