• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

winter is closing in whats your plan for wintering cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
altho it dont seem like it around here,winter is just around the corner,we all are booking winter feed stuffs,me included I dont think plan "A" which was winter oats will pan out,just too dry and no rain in sight. what's your winter feed plans like this year.? Cost 40% cubes is $230/ton in this area,looks like that is where IM headed...............good luck

We don't do cubes up here that I know of, 40% is the protien???? is this pretty good protien supplement?

PPRM

Haymaker, I know things are a lot different in Texas than in Montana, but to get a 40% cube here, part of that~probably a large part~would be from urea. Urea is pretty worthless here. Takes too much energy to break it down and we can't take away energy when it gets cold. Our problem in the north is providing ENOUGH energy.

But, as I say, I know it is different in Texas.

These cubes we use around here for wintering cattle,are cotton seed meal cubes and they are 40% natural protein,we used to get soy bean ,but hard to come by,as you say differ'nt programs in different parts of the country,that's why I posted this,.........................good luck PS like they say use what works,its very common asround here to cube cattle thru the winter.I know yall use alot of alfalfa,and some around here have done a little of this but alfalfa has to come out of New Mexico,mainly square bales and they are not cheap.These cubes are locally milled.

Haymaker- Lots of good fall and winter pasture if the snow doesn't get too deep- then if that happens there is a lot of cheap hay in the area...With last years easy winter, also a lot of year old hay.......

Big Muddy rancher said:
I think I will try the Haymaker plan this year. That is sit by the fire drinking and only go out on nice days. :cowboy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds like a right mighty fine idea, bmr!!! 8)

Is cottonseed meal cubes similar to cottonseed cake?

That used to be the very best cake we could get.

Now I understand there is a type that is not as good, but they also have an 'old process' type that is like what was available years ago. Along with protein the old cottonseed cake contained a lot of oil, so it was a good energy source also. That is what made it work so good in the north.

Faster horses said:
Is cottonseed meal cubes similar to cottonseed cake?

That used to be the very best cake we could get.

Now I understand there is a type that is not as good, but they also have an 'old process' type that is like what was available years ago. Along with protein the old cottonseed cake contained a lot of oil, so it was a good energy source also. That is what made it work so good in the north.

faster horses I think what yall call cotton seed cake is what we call cotton seed cubes,as it is cubed here locally at the mill and a few additives are included...........good luck

corn silage and hay delivered by BELARUS cows dont care what bring's the feed as long as it gets there...... :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Haymaker- Lots of good fall and winter pasture if the snow doesn't get too deep- then if that happens there is a lot of cheap hay in the area...With last years easy winter, also a lot of year old hay.......

I will give my cows last years hay,free choice and supplement them with these cubes ,some give about one pound per head a day ,I have always give mine a couple pounds per head per day especially if the weather is extremely cold,price is fair and they do pretty good,I really like to put them out on winter pasture mainly winter oats but no moistiure this year,Im sure you give your cattle more than just hay thru the winter?unless it is good quality and tested?...............good luck,OT

Big Muddy rancher said:
I think I will try the Haymaker plan this year. That is sit by the fire drinking and only go out on nice days. :cowboy:

Sit by the fire sipping some of that good canadian whiskey,after I give those old mama's plenty hay and cubes................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Oldtimer said:

I will give my cows last years hay,free choice and supplement them with these cubes ,some give about one pound per head a day ,I have always give mine a couple pounds per head per day especially if the weather is extremely cold,price is fair and they do pretty good,I really like to put them out on winter pasture mainly winter oats but no moistiure this year,Im sure you give your cattle more than just hay thru the winter?unless it is good quality and tested?...............good luck,OT

So what do you folks in the south consider cold?

-40 below now that's cold brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Denny said:
corn silage and hay delivered by BELARUS cows dont care what bring's the feed as long as it gets there...... :wink:

Denny,I bet I bring my ole mama cows hay with one of them belarus tractors,they would'nt touch it :D :D ................good luck

PPRM said:
We don't do cubes up here that I know of, 40% is the protien???? is this pretty good protien supplement?

PPRM

yes pprm that is the protein,what do you do?................good luck

If it gets below freezing temps...in the south....that's cold to me lol
Also on feedin cows thru the winter, if we get some moisture we'll be planting some rye grass probably sometime next month.

HAY MAKER said:
Denny said:

Denny,I bet I bring my ole mama cows hay with one of them belarus tractors,they would'nt touch it :D :D ................good luck

See look at all the feed you would save....

Wow Haymaker, those cubes sound good. Some dairies bring in Cottenseed meal to mix in a ration, but the whole cube deal is foriegn to us. So a guy either figures others have tried to pencil or it isn't local so nobody has tried it.

It sounds like a much better solution than tubs. In our area, stubble and other cheap winter feeds do lack protien and energy. So, even 3 pounds per head per day = 90 pounds per month, about $10.00 per head per month. That is interesting,

PPRM

Latest posts