• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Winter isn't over

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Until the Leaf's are out. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Won't be long now! :D

(Sorry Yanuck :shock: )

If I was speaking to either one of you I would tell you both to shut it! but since I'm not.....carry on!

87* the past three days here calling for snow tonight into tomorrow and a high of 37*. Had 3 hard frosts and after the initial grass jump it's been virtually dormant. Had plenty of moisture for a change but the temps are going crazy.

3"-4" of heavy wet snow accumulation

Rain until around 6:00 AM then turned to snow.

Now the power is out and the generator is running. Forcast isnt calling for much improvement.

Drought is broken-- tile lines are running and if it ever warms up, we should see some green grass.

Last year, I mowed lawn 2x in March. This year, I havent even worried about tuning it up and sharpening the blade.

Beautiful spring day here, got the triple mix sowed and under-seeded with grass/alfalfa seed.

I think winter is over and the maple leafs are still in the bud stage.

:wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:

That's funny. I just never got into this years hockey season, with the strike shortening and the Avelance just plain sucking. Watched a few games, just seemed a bit odd this year. Probly get sucked into the playoffs anyway.

And speaking of the weather we got 4 inches of wet snow last night, and it was melted by noon, so that's good. Still havn't planted any corn yet, been to sparatic warm and cold on the ground temp.

Spring will eventually get here. It is a little more spring like this morning. The yellow head black birds are in the trees today, The first I have seen. The month of April was dull and dreary this year. I always enjoyed April. Back when we farmed here, there was something about starting field work that was motivating, it made you feel good. Although unexpected snow storms often occurred in April, watching the green up. the leaves starting on the trees and the return of the birds was always encouraging. We had a mild winter here, I suppose that was good, but it did linger on to long.

Big Muddy rancher said:
hayguy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

we should be expecting a May blizzard here any time now :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I fail to see the humor in it since that is exactly what we got here yesterday!!!!

The ground was covered by suppertime last night and still is this morning.

The new calves are not impressed. Most of the corn is planted and lotsa soys too. :???:

Oh well, they say spring is just around the corner... :?

I would almost trade you that snow for our +90% we have today. Actually, we can get blizzards for a while yet, and measureable snow well into June.

Quite a few years ago during a May real blizzard a couple of local babies were born. Our neighbor boy was born at home, coached over the phone by the doc, and our niece had parents who were able to get to the hospital.

mrj

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
hayguy said:
we should be expecting a May blizzard here any time now :lol:

Well I fail to see the humor in it since that is exactly what we got here yesterday!!!!

The new calves are not impressed. Most of the corn is planted and lotsa soys too. :???:

You must live somewhere close to where Santa lives. :lol:

It was 39 F here this morning and I was cold.....................

Mike said:
burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

You must live somewhere close to where Santa lives. :lol:

It was 39 F here this morning and I was cold.....................

Well it felt like it yesterday and today! We had about 2" of snow on the ground at dark last evening.

And that came after a week of sunny hot weather, perfect for planting crops. Almost too hot to pick stones off of the grain field and new seeding.

So I fixed it by going over part of it twice with the roller. :shock: :lol:

Well it worked so don't knock it! Smooooth.

Latest posts