• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Winter storm already....... ??????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
Environment Canada's Official Weather Warnings
Warnings
Melita - Boissevain - Turtle Mountain Provincial Park
4:51 PM CDT Tuesday 4 October 2005
Weather warning for
Melita - Boissevain - Turtle Mountain Provincial Park continued

A Colorado low will bring rain, snow, and strong winds to southern Manitoba Wednesday.

A low pressure system over Colorado is expected to intensify and move into North Dakota tonight. This storm will bring a few showers into southern Manitoba this evening which will develop into an area of rain overnight. As colder air is drawn into the system, rain and snow will spread through southern Manitoba early Wednesday.

Regions in southwestern Manitoba are more likely to see snow while areas in the southeast will be milder and so rain will predominate. Temperatures in the Red River Valley will hover just above freezing Wednesday indicating that cold rain will be the Major factor. However, it is likely that snow, and at times heavy wet snow, will fall during the day. Snowfall accumulations may be in the 5 to 10 cm range, but areas in the rising terrain of the Manitoba escarpment could exceed 25 cm.

Strong northerly winds are also expected for most of Wednesday.

This storm is still developing and the exact temperatures on Wednesday will have a Major impact on determining which areas see mostly rain or mostly snow. While the weather trends now favour rain in the Red River Valley and areas east, there still exists a risk of a Major early season snowstorm throughout southern Manitoba.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details

Its coming right at you if it is not already getting there :!:

We had that same storm Monday. 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow. Sure glad I finished combining. Lots of acres were standing many more swathed. Will be some time before they dry.

We've had two days with no rain but HARD frost every morn... still no combines able to go yet because of wetness.In our area I would say 85% crops still in field and VERY little wheat even swathed.Really doesn't look good for getting these crops off this year.The canola that is swathed is getting black and sproating in swathes. :(

Killarney - Pilot Mound - Manitou
10:19 AM CDT Wednesday 5 October 2005
Blizzard warning for
Killarney - Pilot Mound - Manitou continued

Blizzard conditions are expected today.

A Colorado low is giving an early taste of winter to parts of southern Manitoba today. This morning the hardest hit area is southwestern Manitoba especially around the Turtle Mountains in the Killarney region where heavy snow combined with strong northeast winds of 50 gusting 80 km/h will give blizzard conditions today along with near zero visibilities at times.

In other areas of southwestern Manitoba, heavy snow and very strong northeasterly winds are occurring reducing visibilities at times to less than 1 kilometre. These conditions can be expected to last the rest of the day. In the Red River Valley as much as 20 to 40 cm of snow can be expected today and tonight as the low continues to move northeastwards. In Steinbach, snow mixed with rain is occurring with as much as 30 cm of snow possible through today and tonight as well. The southeastern corner of Manitoba should see mainly rain at first morning changing to snow late this afternoon with 5 to 10 cm possible.

The snow should end this evening in the west and overnight in the east.

Persons planning to travel should listen for updated forecasts and warnings.

We have had about 12-15 inches of very heavy wet snow here in western ND so far. I just got my power back on about 30 minutes ago. Many still without power from when the storm started last night. Not a tree left standing on the place! Even most of the hedges are flat! Not supposed to end until 7pm mountain time.

I doubt very much if their is a pheasant left alive in the country! Called several friends & it is the same there. One friend said his entire shelter belts were flat. May lose power again soon. I just hope this misses the rest of you.

We had 11 inches (according to the radio) and some north of town and Ekalaka were without power. My computer has been down since last night, because of a power surge. Some tree branches are broke here, too.

The livestock barn in town cancelled their sale and some of the rural schools were closed. Quite a storm for October!

Do you think it really killed some pheasants? That's a shame.

We just got our power back on. There must have been at least a foot of heavy, wet snow and our trees really took a beating. There isn't a one of them that doesn't have most of the biggest branches busted off.

Most of the neighbors are still without power and we have about forty head of someone else's cows that walked down the Whitehill road from the north. No calves with them and the cows look like the calves have been weaned a while.

Did I mention I hate winter?

Latest posts