• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wish me luck...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
Tonight I take my buckskin gelding over to a young man to ride..... I do hope he turns out into a swell riding horse as I am rather fond of him...
I have been working with him for about a month and have accomplished everything I set out to do with neither him or I with ruffled feathers.....
I can saddle him and bridle him with ease and I have tied all kinds of stuff on my saddle to get him accustom to flapping coats, reins and anything an old woman like me might have and do...... He has taken it all into stride with only one buck the first time I saddled him and we have forged a friendship........ He is my walking partner...... We walk every night a couple of miles.... He has a good pace so keep me from dwoddleing along at a slower pace.....

I even took him to the open horse show in Valentine and we entered the halter class for his age....... He won second place out of six... I am quite proud of him because he had never been to town and was a gentleman the whole time.. (We won't talk about my sassy aged mare!)
My friends where tickled to see me back into what I love most......

Today I drove him right and left and he did really well... Alittle fast at first, but settled down into a very nice low headed horse... I didn't get him to back, but somethimes that comes after a few drives..........
I used my old saddle which was my dad's saddle..... This way he was kinda there to help me... We always done that kinda stuff together..... Anyway enough of the rambling and hopefully I will have a trusted friend and partner in a month or two............

and anything an old woman like me might have and do

I know I'm still a youngun but in my twenty seven years on Earth I'm still not accustom to anything a woman might have or do.

Good luck hope he turns out just like you want him to.

Know some young gal bringing a BF home and she will go riding some Palamino doing a little pushing out of some canyon saturday for next mondays roundup.
that sand hill mare dose pretty good in the moutains.... :D

Sure hope you get all you hope for in a horse when ya git him back. What's his name....??? and where are the pictures??? LOL

(of the horse...not the fella ya sent him to) :wink:

sounds like you already have him broke to suit you.dont let a ribbon spoil a good cowhorse.theres already of plenty of showhorses a good cowy horse is getting rarer

Thanks everyone........Jody, I'm so glad pal has such a good home........
I'm lost this morning...........
My horse's name is Kats Lucky Gold.......
I didn't realize I must of looked out our window so much to see what Lucky was doing...... I look and no horse the pen is empty.......

I gave the lead rope to Justin last night and he and lucky warmed right up to each other...... That's a good feeling........ I think it's like when you leave your kids at someones house to babysit... While you are there your kids are monsters, but when you are gone the kids turn into little angels for the babysitters....... This young man is so quiet.... It just impresses me everytime I am around him.... He trims my horses too..... I will get pictures. I want to go over and watch.... Maybe I can pick up a few tricks and see how Justin rides.........

Thanks everyone I appreciate your imput........

PS......

Jody, Lucky and Pal are half brother and sister..... :D
You have three bars and leo and I have lana go man and wimpys wampum...

Katrina, You seem apprehensive. From my experience, it never hurts to watch from time to time. Just because you are interested. If things go well, great but if you detect something going wrong you can always pull the plug on it.

From the sound of it, you have him going nicely and you like what you've seen in your trainer. Everything should go well.

Thanks JF...... I have had some real bad exsperiances........ One real nice big mare I had going green broke and took her to a guy to ride and when I came to get her. They had her head tied down and she wouldn't back up... When I left her she backed up great......... She came back hard mouth.... Just ruined........ Ended up selling her for weigh up....... And I've had horses come back with dirt rot....... I couldn't ride them for six months... My vet told me to turn them out......... Yeah I have to say I've been burnt real good......................

But feel pretty good about Justin....... I went and watched him ride some young horses at a sale the other day and he did real good....... Didn't get rammy............ Just real honest on the horses............

It's too damn bad that anyone can hang up a shingle that says they
can TRAIN HORSES or SHOE HORSES and not know anything.

I'm so fortunate that I know several TOP NOTCH horsemen.
Katrina, Justin sounds really good. I like that you mentioned he
was quiet. I think that is something pretty necessary when working
with young horses.

We bought a horse at a horse sale that was plenty bothered. (I felt
sorry for him, that's why I bought him at the time). We rode him and
saw that he needed more experience than we had, so we called
a fellow that was closer us to ride him, as Tom Wagoner was in Texas at
the time. We didn't know this guy, but he came highly recommended.

We hauled the horse there, and watched this guy with his own horses.
It was so bad. And he not only was not nice to his horses, he wasn't even
nice to his own PEOPLE. We got in our outfit and drove out. We felt
like we escaped with our horse. Gosh, I can't imagine ANYONE recommending someone like that, unless they didn't know any more than he did.

I really think it is wise to go watch a trainer work with a young horse.
You can see lots of things. And I'm always amazed at the people that have someone ride their horse and then take him home without having the trainer demonstrate what the horse learned.

Oh well...

Katrina, Good Luck!

PS: Suzuki's already know how to do all that stuff right outta the box. :D :D :wink:

Cal said:
Katrina, Good Luck!

PS: Suzuki's already know how to do all that stuff right outta the box. :D :D :wink:

Hahahahahahaha :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm getting too old to get dumped from a horse :cry:

I'm so glad for you, katrina, I sure hope it all goes well for you!!!! Keep us posted and PICTURES!!!!

Prayers fh to the family....... I think when your number rolls up it don't make a whit what your doing..... I will get pictures when I go over...... He only lives 20 or so miles from me..........

Latest posts