• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wolves........

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
Ontario man believed killed by wolves in Saskatchewan
Last Updated Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:35:09 EST
CBC News
RCMP in Saskatchewan are reporting the first human death attributed to wolves in North America in more than a century.

The Mounties say wolves likely killed an Ontario man in northern Saskatchewan earlier this week. The body of the 22-year-old was found Tuesday at Points North Landing near Wollaston Lake, about 450 kilometres northeast of La Ronge.

Canadian gray wolf. (CP file photo)
An autopsy indicated he was likely killed by animals, says RCMP spokesperson Heather Russell.

"All of the injuries discovered in the autopsy are consistent with animal bites. But you can't completely rule everything out until the investigation is complete."

Russell said the autopsy hasn't confirmed what animals attacked the man, but he noted wolves have been sighted in the area. Tracks believed to be those of wolves were seen around the body, leading Russell to believe those were the animals that likely killed the man.

The RCMP haven't released the name of the victim, but say he was from Oshawa.

A 2002 study of wolf attacks in Alaska and Canada done by the Alaska Fish and Game Department found no examples of human deaths attributed to wolf attacks for more than 100 years.

Wayne Galloway, a veteran outfitter in northern Saskatchewan, said he wouldn't be surprised if wolves attacked and killed a human. He said that in recent years, he's seen an increase in wolf numbers and a decrease in the wildlife they prey on.

"They're a predator and I guess if man happens to be something that they'll take a pass at, they'll do it," he said.

http://sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/10/wolf051110.html

The thing I find most interesting about this story is that it was NOT covered by the national TV news sources. I heard it only on a local radio station.

It will be interesting to see if the final verdict is wolves. I read the papers on the Alaska study, and most of the incidents were quick grab bites of a more inquisitve or playful nature. There was one case several years ago in Ontario (?) of a boy being pulled out of a tent in the night, but he was saved before it could do too much damage.

just curious, if a wolf is attacking you, how long do you let it bite and claw before reaching the conclusion of whether or not he is just playing around?

The study was more of wolf/people interaction, with curiosity bringing the wolves in close enough to lick or nip at people but they weren't attacking or agressive in most instances.

jigs said:
just curious, if a wolf is attacking you, how long do you let it bite and claw before reaching the conclusion of whether or not he is just playing around?

Just long enough for me to pull the trigger on an ole Ruger flat top.............good luck

Seems like a good plan Haymaker. As there is no shortage of wolves, I don't see any problem with trimming the population at every opportunity. To hear the wolf lovers, you'd think there were only five left in the world. Drives me nuts. Then there is the old "they only kill the sick and old" bit. The three year old cow they killed here this spring wasn't sick or old! They didn't eat her, just killed her and moved on.

I know I've been branded as a " tree huggin' liberal" BUT....I do not....DO NOT think that the wolf should have EVER been re-introduced into the Yellowstone area. Yes, they existed there once... and then it was fine...but the world has changed and they are gone. Leave it be!

I keep various rifles in various places here on the farm for the coyotes and feral dogs that run loose...and I take' em out if need be. I've yet to loose any calves to coyotes...but not gonna give them the chance! I've lost a barn cat or two cause of them I'm sure!

And I wonder who was the numb-nutz who did the study that determined when the wolf was licking/nipping for play...or not! Geez...what a monumental waste of $$$$

Kolanuraven,
The study wasn't of one person going out to try for contact with wolves, but rather getting the reports from over the years, from different people and their encounters with wolves.

kolanuraven said:
I know I've been branded as a " tree huggin' liberal" BUT....I do not....DO NOT think that the wolf should have EVER been re-introduced into the Yellowstone area. Yes, they existed there once... and then it was fine...but the world has changed and they are gone. Leave it be!

I keep various rifles in various places here on the farm for the coyotes and feral dogs that run loose...and I take' em out if need be. I've yet to loose any calves to coyotes...but not gonna give them the chance! I've lost a barn cat or two cause of them I'm sure!

And I wonder who was the numb-nutz who did the study that determined when the wolf was licking/nipping for play...or not! Geez...what a monumental waste of $$$$

Kolanuraven, sometimes your decent conservative values shine through in spite of yourself. You would be an alright person if you didn't hang around with the likes of Disagreeable. :wink: :)

TimH-----I read about this tragedy in our local paper and my heart goes out to this young man's family!!!! How truly devastating!!
Kolanuraven----Seeing how our ranch is less than an hour's drive from Yellowstone, I agree with you whole-heartedly!!!! Last winter, our neighbors lost a yearling bull and the family dog to wolves....both victims were killed less than 100 yards of the family home....and 2 kids!! :shock:

Soapweed & others...... Yes ,I 100% dislike George Bush & Co....and you all know that--no secret there!!......BUT.....I'm not a total zealot either!!! I like to analyze all sides...and then I make my choice...and it may not go with the majority, but then that makes life fun!!! I vote for people...not the party line!

And I've spent a LOT of yrs in your part of the world Soapweed, Valentine. Chadron, points south to ScottsBluff and into Torrington working with the cattle industry...and I realilze what effects/affects politics can have on the ranching industry. So I'm what ya might call " well rounded" in my life education along with WAY more college than anyone should have!!!

Ranchwife...I know Ennis well and yes....you're in the " wolf area" for sure!

But I do LOVE a good political argument.... :D

ranchwife, I have to ask, is your Chris Ledoux quote from one of his songs? And if so, which song is it? I don't recognize it right off. I just bought his boxed set of CD's. I know the world loves George Strait, and I won't dispute his roots, but as far as I'm concerned, Chris was and always will be the original singin' cowboy. I don't usually go along with lookin' to celebrities as role models for my kids, but Mr. Chris Ledoux is an exception. :hat:

PureCountry said:
ranchwife, I have to ask, is your Chris Ledoux quote from one of his songs? And if so, which song is it? I don't recognize it right off. I just bought his boxed set of CD's. I know the world loves George Strait, and I won't dispute his roots, but as far as I'm concerned, Chris was and always will be the original singin' cowboy. I don't usually go along with lookin' to celebrities as role models for my kids, but Mr. Chris Ledoux is an exception. :hat:

Pure country I don't know about Ranchwife's quote but from your avatar you sure look familiar. Maybe we went to college together or something. :wink: :cowboy:

PureCountry said:

"Light of the World" is on his "Haywire" CD and is a simple/beautiful song about acceptance and love!!! This is the same CD with "Tougher Than the Rest", "Big Love" and "Love Needs a Fool"!!! My entire family are ALL huge fans of Chris's and his death shook us to the core!! His voice was one of a kind and many of his songs carried a positive message! I found a boxed set of 6 CD's of his on E-Bay last year and simply could not resist!!

Everytime i think of the wolves being re-introduced makes me want to see Ted Turner hanging by his toes from a barn rafter in 20 below weather. Him and his damn black footed ferets, kit foxes and wolves.....blah. Atleast he did do one thing right and divorced that bitch wife of his. But I'd like to see Miss Jane hanging right next to him.....except maybe she needs hung by some other body part!!

easy, TX. easy, big guy!! you're gettin' all in a lather, i can tell!

go listen to some chris or some Ian tyson, 2 of MY personal favorites--it'll calm ya down :lol:

Latest posts