• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wonder why there's no R-CALF-type org on the Texas border?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TARSman

Reaction score
I wonder why there is no R-CALF-type organization headquartered in South Texas with the mission of closing and keeping closed the Mexican border? Maybe no one has thought about it yet. What if NAFTA and CAFTA expands and includes a SAFTA (South American Free Trade Agreement)? Brazil's beef industry is expanding, and an announcement was just made that a co-op in Brazil has signed a deal with "a (unnamed) U.S. packer" to set up a partnership processing plant for cattle.

Texas is about to start construction on the megacorridor which will make traffic of everything easier coming from Mexico. Assuming airplanes and ships are too expensive to haul beef from Brazil, trucks could make their way up to Texas and "southern beef" could have easy access to the U.S., especially if the packers are filing for permits to enter. Has anyone thought about this? Does anyone out there believe that the more the fighting continues over the Canadian border, the more these "other alternatives" will come into play. The packers aren't going to expand just in Canada. They are going south, too.

U.S. producers are going to have to come to grips with the realities of global competition. Why are we worried about it? Don't we have any confidence in our abilities, our facilities and our future? Doom and gloom protectionists will always end up having doom and gloom for dinner instead of a great steak. Whether it's North American, Central American or South American, it's still American. I don't believe the consumer is going to ask which America it came from, do you?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Tarsman I think I heard the Canada's herd totals about 14 million animals and Brazils about 300 million animals. The threat from the south looms large.

You are right Big Muddy- Thats why the US and Canada need a country of origin labeling law-- before the free trade South American beef get funneled into the US and on thru to Canada.....

Oldtimer said:
..............Thats why the US and Canada need a country of origin labeling law-- before the free trade South American beef get funneled into the US and on thru to Canada.....

But Oldtimer won't ever tell us where it has added to profitablity of the cow/calf producer..........or even ONE industry it has helped.......

Bull Burger said:
Oldtimer said:
..............Thats why the US and Canada need a country of origin labeling law-- before the free trade South American beef get funneled into the US and on thru to Canada.....

But Oldtimer won't ever tell us where it has added to profitablity of the cow/calf producer..........or even ONE industry it has helped.......

Bull-- I don't know how much more they are making, but the catfish farmers have been praising the labeling laws-- No longer can the Asians import in "river carp" and pass it off as US Catfish... I could care less if it is more profitable-- it is the right thing to do... Quit passing off Mexican slaughtered and South American slaughtered animals as US product...Now with the Canadian BSE issue, their is a true debatable health risk issue--Let the consumer know what they are buying and let them choose....

Bull Burger said:
Oldtimer said:

The catfish farmers in the south have had a hard time competing with cheap asian fish (some even labeled as catfish).

Oldtimer said:
(MCOOL)... I could care less if it is more profitable-- it is the right thing to do...

Oldtimer comes clean...emotion before profit? Better head to the next RCALF auction, Oldtimer...........open your wallet wider.............believe...........I nominate Tammy Faye Baker as the 2005 RCALF queen.........

I third the nomination !! Unless you want the position of R-calf queen OT? You'd look mighty "perdy" with that tiera on! :lol:

Bull Burger said:
Oldtimer said:
(MCOOL)... I could care less if it is more profitable-- it is the right thing to do...

Oldtimer comes clean...emotion before profit? Better head to the next RCALF auction, Oldtimer...........open your wallet wider.............believe...........I nominate Tammy Faye Baker as the 2005 RCALF queen.........

Bull- since you mentioned Tammy Faye -- several of us were comparing her to Jan Lyons the other day.... Jan, when she was giving her NCBA flipflop speach, and saying "I guess we just weren't listening to our members- we weren't hearing you"-- I truly thought she was going to let loose with the tears....

And for a couple weeks, gullible old me, actually thought that NCBA had seen the light-- chance for getting some unification in the cattle industry--but its beginning to appear as tho its moving back to business as usual- back the AMI and slam anything R-CALF or the producer supports....Even saw the other day where they were taking credit for the last two years high calf prices while the border was closed-- Next they'll be using those two years as their 2 good years every 20 they historically have produced.........

Which hat would OT wear? :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Murgen/Hatwithwhistle.bmp

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Murgen/sherriffhat.bmp

Agreed, BMr. Murgen, you didn't happen to see a pair of silver plated pistols to go with the outfit when you were looking that stuff up, did you? :lol: :lol:

reader (the Second) said:
I say more power to Randy for trying to compete versus just being angry. If R-CALF has the right to be protectionist, Canadians equally have the right to do whatever they need to to thrive economically and to compete in the global market.

Why does the "GLOBAL MARKET" not include the U.S. We have done what the USDA required us to do to re-enter that market and One judge lobbied by R-CALF stopped us.

Latest posts