• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wonderful question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I spent 11 hours yesterday on ranch chores. Went over early to my leased pasture with water problems and chased my tail some more. Was able to find and repair 1 leak. Hoping to have water back by fall but it's a long shot. Then hauled mineral and salt to my cows. They are content in their summer pasture. Then walked the west fence and fixed a couple bad wires. Then talked to a neighbor for a while. They border me to the north and will be going into their allotment rotation next to me soon. Made plans for the inevitable strays. Then ran over and picked up a four wheeler i'd left at another pasture I been fencing with. Finally, stopped at a little small town gas station for fuel and a burrito. Lady behind the counter knows me a little but doesn't come from a ranch background at all. She said I looked tired and I told her why I was tired. She said two things that provide a perfect example of how disconnected the American public is about agriculture. And remember, this was in a rural town of maybe 800 people.
First she said, "Why would you want to work this hard on your day off?"
And when I told her my reasons and we had discussed how bleak things look with the high prices of feed, diesel, power, etc., she then asked me "Why don't you just raise your prices?"
If only it were that simple!!!!!! She was completely incredulous that I can't just name my prices when selling cattle. I sure found that slightly depressing. Folks in this country have no idea what it takes to feed them and how lucky they are to live here. They are 100% disconnected from agriculture and have no idea how things work. I guess it's up to us to educate and feed them?

On a happier note- I did see lots of loaded Pinion trees plumb full of new pine cones. Hopefully it's a banner year for picking pine nuts.
3375ABA3-0E38-4514-A31A-B02016324C9F.jpeg

C99521AF-F79B-44C6-B553-AB4C4444EF26.jpeg

I commented on FB about getting my hay into the stack. One of my city dwelling friends commented that I work too hard. I replied that it isn't hard work. It is all done from the seat of a tractor. Not like I am bucking 1,200 pound bales by hand. Busy, time consuming work. Most of them wouldn't know hard work.

I commented on FB about getting my hay into the stack. One of my city dwelling friends commented that I work too hard. I replied that it isn't hard work. It is all done from the seat of a tractor. Not like I am bucking 1,200 pound bales by hand. Busy, time consuming work. Most of them wouldn't know hard work.
That right there, is a lot of the problem.
They don't get hard work. They don't get people who work with their back, with their hands. They were the ones not affected by the virus shutdown. We need more of them and less of the educated idiots. I really think the education system as it is now, is not good for our country. Some of these educated idiots are in school for 17 years or more. Think about that.

I spent 11 hours yesterday on ranch chores. Went over early to my leased pasture with water problems and chased my tail some more. Was able to find and repair 1 leak. Hoping to have water back by fall but it's a long shot. Then hauled mineral and salt to my cows. They are content in their summer pasture. Then walked the west fence and fixed a couple bad wires. Then talked to a neighbor for a while. They border me to the north and will be going into their allotment rotation next to me soon. Made plans for the inevitable strays. Then ran over and picked up a four wheeler i'd left at another pasture I been fencing with. Finally, stopped at a little small town gas station for fuel and a burrito. Lady behind the counter knows me a little but doesn't come from a ranch background at all. She said I looked tired and I told her why I was tired. She said two things that provide a perfect example of how disconnected the American public is about agriculture. And remember, this was in a rural town of maybe 800 people.
First she said, "Why would you want to work this hard on your day off?"
And when I told her my reasons and we had discussed how bleak things look with the high prices of feed, diesel, power, etc., she then asked me "Why don't you just raise your prices?"
If only it were that simple!!!!!! She was completely incredulous that I can't just name my prices when selling cattle. I sure found that slightly depressing. Folks in this country have no idea what it takes to feed them and how lucky they are to live here. They are 100% disconnected from agriculture and have no idea how things work. I guess it's up to us to educate and feed them?

On a happier note- I did see lots of loaded Pinion trees plumb full of new pine cones. Hopefully it's a banner year for picking pine nuts.
View attachment 2088
View attachment 2089
so, what does a coffee can of pine nuts cost?.... that how mom and dad brought them home from their march trips south before calving. We checked a pipeline yesterday, end tank not big enough, bull tore up the 2nd one there, we went home rolled out a 11-footer and sprayed flex seal on the pin holes in the bottom, and flex-seal tape on the bigger ones. Cut Church as we celebrated my granddaughter's 3rd Birthday (3 days early) oh the excitement she has I wish I could bottle it. Trying to call W-Bar to come fix a tractor tire so I can go bale. My old ranch insurance agent just looked at me when we were doing the 1031 exchange and asked why, I said " I like to fish but I don't want to fish every day, besides I have a bad DNA gene that requires cows and sheep ownership."
Sue ordered a New Honda 4-wheeler 40 days ago, as there are not many new or used ones out there. it was to be in ten days ago. She is getting a little upset, as the big down she made is supposably nonrefundable.....

so, what does a coffee can of pine nuts cost?.... that how mom and dad brought them home from their march trips south before calving. We checked a pipeline yesterday, end tank not big enough, bull tore up the 2nd one there, we went home rolled out a 11-footer and sprayed flex seal on the pin holes in the bottom, and flex-seal tape on the bigger ones. Cut Church as we celebrated my granddaughter's 3rd Birthday (3 days early) oh the excitement she has I wish I could bottle it. Trying to call W-Bar to come fix a tractor tire so I can go bale. My old ranch insurance agent just looked at me when we were doing the 1031 exchange and asked why, I said " I like to fish but I don't want to fish every day, besides I have a bad DNA gene that requires cows and sheep ownership."
Sue ordered a New Honda 4-wheeler 40 days ago, as there are not many new or used ones out there. it was to be in ten days ago. She is getting a little upset, as the big down she made is supposably nonrefundable.....
I've wondered about flex seal, does it work good?

Hope Sue gets her Honda 4-wheeler soon.
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A HONDA SIDE X SIDE. They are hotter than blazes inside and
Honda won't fix it. Everything Honda is good, except the Side x Sides. Everything on them is good too, especially the transmission, but you can't stand to sit in one, so the rest of it doesn't matter.
We got rid of ours and got a Polaris. Much, much better interior. Honda doesn't make their own cab and the after market cabs, you can throw a cat out of the cracks.

We put a big deposit on a new Arctic Cat 700 last July, delivery happened on May 3 this year. Honda quads are reliable but too hard on backs. Cats have been good here and they are far smoother to ride.

Our cousins got a new Can-Am and it rides good, but so does our Polaris. I don't care for the seats in the Can Am. Our nephew sells Can-Am.
We bought our Polaris in 2019. We like it. Everything works. Lots of places to put things. Cab is really no comparison to the Honda after-market cab.

When we start the water down the ditch in the spring everyone on the ditch shows up. As the head gate is on my place everyone meets here. There will be 8-10 quads parked by the ditch. Every one of them is a Honda.

There is a guy in Baker who has a shop at his home. Works on quads and side by sides. He is good, fast, and reasonable. It seems every time I stop in there a Polaris side by side will be in the shop all torn apart. The real good thing about dealing with him is if you own a ranch what ever you bring in goes to the front of the line. There will be 20 quads waiting repair but ranchers are first and weekend warrior have to wait.

I love Honda. Have an old 2000 Honda rancher with 31788 miles on it. My brother in law is a mechanic and hates Polaris machines to work on.
we got a 2007 Rubicon we fixed ourselves a few times broke a Tie rod 5 miles from the house we wired it in with a Leatherman to make it home. Got a old yamaha that keeps running. Poliars when we had them went into the dealer every spring. Our honda we bought used 6 years ago never been in the dealers shop since.

I agree with Honda 4-wheelers, but Honda side x sides ONLY if you don't mind being cooked in summer. Our Polaris is going on its 4th year, is used every day and has never been to the shop. I realize we might not be as hard on them as some, but still, it's been really good.

Remember, Polaris was Soapweeds side x side of choice. :)

Our Can Am Defender is tough but hot in the summer. Kind of nice to have the heater for those cold or damp days.
What is the year of your Can-Am? Wondering if they fixed the problem of too much heat in the cab in the new ones. Cousins got one and they haven't mentioned that it gets too hot. They got ones with A/C.

BTW, glad to see you back posting.

I just got a CFMoto. Nothing fancy but it sure seems well built. Best warranty in the business so hopefully that's because they are confident of the build quality. 5 years on the engine is impressive.

We have a 2019 Honda Pioneer 1000 with a cab no AC. It gets a little warm in the summer but not terrible if you open all the windows. Very nice in the winter. Also have a 2020 Pioneer 1000 with no cab, cooler in the summer and winter lol! The 2010 Honda 700 Big Red has tracks on it and it will go anywhere you point it so you better be sure you want to go where you point it! Have owned all three since new and have had almost zero problems with them, we have a very good dealer 40 miles away. I think the Pioneers ride as good as a Polaris.

Last edited:
What is the year of your Can-Am? Wondering if they fixed the problem of too much heat in the cab in the new ones. Cousins got one and they haven't mentioned that it gets too hot. They got ones with A/C.
on the cold days
BTW, glad to see you back posting.
I think it's a 19 or 20, It gets darn hot, I don't have AC but I do have a heater that I enjoy on the cold days.

Latest posts