• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

wood heat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
I have been looking for an outdoor wood burner that I can tie into my existing central air system. I do not want to go with the oiler system if I do not have to. but searches only bring up the boilers.

do any of you have one of these?? any input is greatly appreciated.

My buddy got one and we just plumbed the rad from the boiler into the duct work for his other system right above the fan if I remember right. Alot of people up here are going to grain or coal burning stoves. Wood heat isn't as free and easy as it seems and we live in the land of trees lol. There are lots of differant makes and models of them sold up here though.

Here's a link to a site that looks like it has options on how you can order it. with or without the boiler for hot water supply.

http://www.freeheatmachine.com/?gclid=CIzEz-PdoYkCFQGNYAodoxyVLw

The one my uncle had, he could fill it up with wood, it wasn't huge, the wood box part was about 20 inches wide, 30 inches deep, and 18 inches tall.....he could load it, and it would burn allllll day long and heat his house. burned very little wood compared to a fireplace or wood stove in the house.

I was at my neighbors yesterday and walked into his gigantic shop where they have enough room to work on a Combine (With the header on) and a 400HP tractor at the same time and they were working on setting up two corn burning furncaes.. Had them running for a while but ones auger jamed from a bolt that got dropped in... Anywhooo they are 200K BTU units and they really pump the heat out, they can be adapted to a centrel air system with a slight modification and these big ones burned 6 bushels of corn a day and you only have t clean them out every 40 days. At the bottom of the tub where the corn burns fills with the slagged minerals that were in the corn, almost looked like gravel after they broke some out. 6 bushels a day (I doubt you would need furnces this big however and I would bet your house could be better insulated than that shop was) would be less than what some folks propane bills are..

I don't know, I think I am going to call the guy who sells these big ones and look into installing one. Right not we are working on blowing insulation into this old house and that will probably help a lot.. Maybe just a corn stove is all we need and they smell pretty good when they are cooking.

Nope, not like burnt popcorn at all.. Kind of smell like corn on the cob cooking or something... Can't explain it but I left the shop feeling a bit hungry.

www.mikesheating.com

I have a Heatmore 200 outdoor boiler.It has hot water heat exchangers placed above the plentum of my gas furnace we set the thermostat for the wood heat at 72 and the gas at 65 the complete system cost about $10,000 it is set up to heat our house and our shop. We fill it twice a day in weather above 20 any colder and I fill it 3 times daily.We saved $3000 on gas last winter between the house and shop.I burn alot of junk wood we get from pastures and fence lines.

Does anyone on this board have any experience or know anyone with a outdoor large round bale furnace. I've seen articles in the past on them and have always been tempted to try building one. Should provide pretty cheap heat if you used straw or some other crop residues.

mtrancher said:
Does anyone on this board have any experience or know anyone with a outdoor large round bale furnace. I've seen articles in the past on them and have always been tempted to try building one. Should provide pretty cheap heat if you used straw or some other crop residues.

I went to college with a guy who's parents built one it was about the same as a wood boiler just had a big door.They heated 2 houses a shop and a hogbarn on a bale per day.And unlike cows it seemed to do just fine on poor quality hay.

I have seen lots of articles in the Mother Earth magazine (think that is its name) I have always wondered about them.

Let us know if you get it narrowed down to one brand or how cost effective they are.

Lots of folks here use outdoor wood furnaces. They all seem to prefer the water heater type. The Hardy wood burning furnaces is what's popular here. They are stainless and last a long time. Most load them once a day on a 2,000sq. ft. house . It saves money on water heating if it's plumbed into your hot water heater. They work very well.

Just finished hooking up a new wood boiler with oil backup.
The wood furnace was made here in the maritimes the oil is a german made .
The wood controls the heat as long as there is fire enough , the oil takes over if fire goes out.

The furnace room is on the side of the workshop and supplies the shop and the house via underground pipes.

furnace requires filling twice per day.
regards Redcountry

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/redcountry/dec11003.jpg
________
Suzuki Wiki history

Latest posts