• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WORD OF CAUTION- concerning the use of generators

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JF Ranch

Reaction score
Friends, I posted this under the thread that FH started about backup generators. I thought it important enough to re-post as a new topic:

WORD OF CAUTION! Aside from all the good ideas here about backup generators, I want to offer an important personal experience of mine.

A half dozen years ago, I bought a gas powered generator, something like an 8000-9000 watt outfit, to run our house in a power failure. My brilliant idea was to set the thing just inside our attached garage door, to keep it out of the snow storm (You get where I'm headed with this?). I had an adequate cable long enough to reach the power pole. The Power Company had installed the proper disconnect throw switch to keep my generated power from backing up through the power lines. This is VERY IMPORTANT for the safety of the linemen repairing the outage.

When I lost power during a spring storm, I fired up the generator and had it setting just barely inside the garage with the door about half way up for ventilation. I was home alone at the time because it was during the school year and the family was at our house in town.

I had enough power to run the furnace, essential appliances, a light or two and the TV set. I settled in for the night, cozy as a bug in a rug. After no more than an hour or so, I started to hear a beep going off. It took me a few minutes to locate the source of this alarm which was located in a bedroom next to the attached garage. Unknown to me, my wife had installed a "First Alert" carbon monoxide-smoke detector there.

Long story short, my dumb idea of keeping the shiny, new generator out of the elements nearly cost me and my family, my life. I thought that with the garage door up it was ventilated enough but it was not. I was amazed how quickly the carbon monoxide seeped into the house and am fortunate that we had a detector.

PLEASE FOLKS, never set up a generator in any sort of building. I've been told by our Power Company that a building with an engine running in it can contaminate air such that with even a few breaths of it going in to turn it off, can cause permanent damage to your lungs.

It has been a conscious decision of mine ever since, to offer this story to anyone and everyone, if discussion ever turns toward generating power during outages. Proper detection devises are a great idea as well.

I helped set one up in a friends garage and we cut a hole in the wall 3" bigger in diameter than the exhaust pipe. This gave 1 1/2" free air space around the pipe.

Steel plate inside and out to seal the weather. Works well but remember at several humane societies they put the animals down with exhaust fumes.

Keeps the unit looking like new but keeps it from being portable.

JF Ranch-- I echo your warning... In the years I served as Sheriff/Coroner- I packed out in body bags too many people that died of carbon-monoxide poisoning... Folks that had generators or pumps running in porchs or attached garages-- or cars left to warm up in attached garages which even killed folks in the house...

The best lesson I got was as a young deputy that had been called to a lady found dead in her house while her car ran in the attached garage...After we turned off the car and opened the garage--I was only in the house a couple of minutes when the Doctor showed up- and he grabbed me and threw me out the door... He said my face was turning cherry red and I was within minutes of going down... A couple of minutes in the fresh air with the splitting headache I got- and I knew he was right...

Carbon monoxide is nothing to fool with..

I recall a time about 52 years ago that I went to Cody, Nebraska to repair a combination washer/dryer for the Methodist minister there.

When I got there the minister had gone to work, but his mother (or maybe mother-in-law) opened the door and told me that the ministers wife and children all had the flu. I went to check the washer and noticed a smell in the house of improperly burnt propane. I looked at the wall furance and the pilot was burning a yellow flame with black soot. Cleaned the pilot and took care of that, then cleaned the pump on the washer.

After I was going back to Valentine, I thought about it and realized they didn't have the flu, it was carbon monoxide poisoning.

Latest posts