• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Working Cow Horse or Working Horse Cow?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Dang Simmental cattle they haven't changed much over here.

Ya, but when you consider the options.... 8)

Jinglebob said:
That critter has a case of nylon deficiency. Heck, rope him, trip him and put a little copenhagen in his eyes. :wink:

Should do the trick. The critter had it out for only one of the horses, or so it seemed. A little "grille guard treatment" from a good stout pickup would also provide an attitude adjustment. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Jinglebob said:
That critter has a case of nylon deficiency. Heck, rope him, trip him and put a little copenhagen in his eyes. :wink:

Should do the trick. The critter had it out for only one of the horses, or so it seemed. A little "grille guard treatment" from a good stout pickup would also provide an attitude adjustment. :wink:

How be we just move on and not get that started again. :roll: :D :D

A better horse could have provided the proper attitude adjustment.

Hubby was riding my old horse Abner one day way back, when he came across a situation just like that. We had a calf about that size who had taken part in a great escape, and he was the last one to be found. It was three miles home, and about half way there the calf figured that was as far as he wanted to go. He would lay down, then when the horse caught up to him, he would attack. He would charge right into the horse's chest as hard as he could. Old Abner just leaned right back on him and pushed him down the road. Then the calf would trot ahead about a hundred feet, and lay down again. When the horse walked up to him, he'd get up and attack again. This went on and on for a mile and a half. The chase ended up with the calf, the horse, and Hubby all going down the railroad tracks to the pasture gate... over the railway trestle bridge!

Now that's a champion of a horse. :wink:

I doubt there was anything wrong with that horse, I suspect the problem was the 'rules of engagement' for a working cow horse competition. I would bet that if he made contact with the calf he would be called for roughing the stock or some similar charge. And of course if he gave the calf the education it sorely needed he would no doubt be disqualified.

Silver said:
I doubt there was anything wrong with that horse, I suspect the problem was the 'rules of engagement' for a working cow horse competition. I would bet that if he made contact with the calf he would be called for roughing the stock or some similar charge. And of course if he gave the calf the education it sorely needed he would no doubt be disqualified.

That is what is wrong with society in general, and in the show world particularly! NO COMMON SENSE!!! All that calf needed was a bit of an attitude adjustment, whether from a rope, a grill guard, or the chest of a horse.

This is where you take down your rope and pull the loop up tight. This forms a good solid "knot" with which to hit said bovine on top of its head. A few whirls of the rope with this knot hitting them usually gives some new respect and a more submissive attitude. You don't have to get mad or mean, just be diligent and steadily persuasive with the antidote. :wink:

Soapweed said:
This is where you take down your rope and pull the loop up tight. This forms a good solid "knot" with which to hit said bovine on top of its head. A few whirls of the rope with this knot hitting them usually gives some new respect and a more submissive attitude. You don't have to get mad or mean, just be diligent and steadily persuasive with the antidote. :wink:

When I was a kid I saw my grandfather do that to a cow... she hit the ground and did the proverbial chicken, and we assumed that that was the end of that particular cow. I'm not sure who was more surprised, Grandpa or the cow. She did get up however, but I don't remember joy being the emotion caused by recovery.

Soapweed said:
:) Exactly. Don't get mad, get results.

I'm going to be the contrarion and suggest that the gunsel riding the horse was the problem-you take any breed of cattle from salers to a pet hereford on valium and they will react exactly like that one did if some idiot lopes his horse into their flight zone. Proper pressure at the start and the whole gong show wouldn't of got going. That calf wasn't that bad just mishandled.

I see it this way, whatever "Working Cowhorse" event had taken place was finished and they were simply trying to get the animal out of the arena. It got sullen and the video was a result of some pretty poor cowboying. In the end, somebody got some smarts and simply brought in another critter for accompaniment and to show the way through the gate. The solution worked very well and didn't take very long either. I wouldn't disagree with leading it out on the end of a rope either, but from the looks of those fellers, they likely would have made the situation even worse.

I did a Pfizer call to a backgrounding lot a few years back. Their crew was terrible back then-I pointed out how much mishandled cattle could cost you. Well as fate would have it they went broke-no surprise to me-a buddy had rented a couple empty pens for his bulls and we stopped in to look last fall. Just across the alley the owners were trying to pull about an eight weight yearling-they ran the piss out of him with a side by side the whole time we looked at bulls. I doubt he made it either. I hate seeing cattle handled wrong-I was guilty of it myself for many years. Running an A'I program with a bunch of black cows and only one wire electric fences sharpens you up real fast lol.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Wonder if that was in Germany?

Dang Simmental cattle they haven't changed much over here.

As a matter of fact - yes, this was in Germany, at their biggest western fair, the "Americana", every 2 years in Augsburg. And that's where the problem occurs - livestock in Germany is raised like pets, while our cows learn respect while they go through certain stages of their life (branding, vaccinations, ...) the cattle in Germany are treated much different - thus don't learn to respect the space of a horse or cowboy. The horse was actually a Haflinger, even though they can learn to work a cow they do not have the natural cow sense of a Quarter Horse or any well bred ranch horse.

I contemplate to import one or two of these calves and bring them to a local rodeo, though :)

Thanks for sharing, Jigger Boss!

Soapweed said:
This is where you take down your rope and pull the loop up tight. This forms a good solid "knot" with which to hit said bovine on top of its head. A few whirls of the rope with this knot hitting them usually gives some new respect and a more submissive attitude.

*yupp* in this case it would have earned you a free meal and over night stay in a German jail cell. You just don't rope a poor calf in Germany - and certainly do not slap it with the end of a rope in front of hundreds of spectators ... :) - but I agree, it would have helped the attitude of the calf a lot!

Latest posts